• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What KB+Mouse combo?

Which combo?

  • G15 + G5

    Votes: 22 32.4%
  • G15 + MX518

    Votes: 26 38.2%
  • Eclipse II + G5

    Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Eclipse II + MX518

    Votes: 9 13.2%

  • Total voters
    68

DejaWiz

Fully [H]
2FA
Joined
Apr 15, 2005
Messages
22,085
Time to ditch my Cordless Duo MX, and I've got it narrowed down to a couple choices. Looking for feedback/opinions on the following goodies and which combo you'd choose:
  1. Logitech G15 keyboard (new model with non-flip up LCD display)
  2. Saitek Eclipse II keyboard
  3. Logitech G5 mouse (new model with 2 thumb buttons)
  4. Logitech MX518 mouse
I mainly do a lot of internet surfing, create/manipulate Office documents, and play rts and fps games.

TYIA
-Wiz
 
I think I'd get a razer lycosa keyboard if you like laptop style keys or a ms recluse if you like normal ones. for the mouse I'd get either g9, lachesis or ikari
 
I recently bought the Logitech Cordless Desktop 3200 Laser and have been REALLY happy with it. The mouse (a tweaked VX revolution) has 2 shoulder buttons and 3 programmable "zoom" buttons.
The keyboard has a ton of macro and media keys, plus it's really responsive and barely uses any batteries. I've been using it daily since July and I only just now replaced the batteries in either the mouse or the keyboard.
I'm coming from using a Saitek Eclipse and an MX518 combo, and this set works as well as either of those, plus it's wireless and pretty affordable. Of those sets above, the 518 and Eclipse are just fine, though.
 
I love my Saitek Eclipse II. It's nice and heavy, the keys are solid and responsive, and they have support bars that prevent long keys (such as the spacebar) from tilting to the side when you press one end or the other. The spacebar is also nice and fat and has rounded edges, making it very easy and natural to use. I would definitely recommend it.
 
Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone.

The reason why I am only considering the MX518 or the revised G5 is because of the dual thumb buttons and the way they fit my hand (I think the Razer mice are totally uncomfortable and I would have immediate buyer's remorse). I use them both extensively on my current MX700 and won't give them up for the work I do.

As for going back to wired kb and mouse, well, I initially liked the idea of wireless, but it's not a necessity and it's getting to be such a PITA having to change/charge the batteries every other day (it's gotten progressively worse over the past year). The batteries that came with the mouse took a dump on me about a year and a half ago, so I've been using some hi-capacity rechargeable batteries with a 15 minute charger. For some reason I do not know of, the mouse charging base won't charge the new batteries, so I still have to remove them to recharge every 2-5 days depending on system usage. At this point, I'd rather not deal with it ever again.

I notice most of you are recommending the MX518 optical over the G5 laser. Any specific reasons for this (the small price difference is a negligible reason to choose one over the other to me).
 
It's pretty minor, but I liked the layout of the 518's buttons a little better (the ones around the wheel). Other than that, they feel pretty much the same. The sensitivity settings are a little lost on me, though. I just have one single setting I use and I adjust everything else via the in-game settings.
 
I'm in the carzy minority, Das Keyboard + G5 (old one). (on an Icemat)

I love the G5 though, rock-solid, very sensitive, and comfortable to use for long periods of time (I'm not primarily a gamer, I spend most of the usage on programming + video / audio stuff). Cool cable too, it's like sleeved or smth with a mesh.

Oh, weights are kinda gimmicky though...for me anyways. I just chucked in all the heavy ones and have the tin with the rest of them in a drawer somewhere.
 
Mouse: Razer Copperhead

Keyboard: Logitech G15 (new version) or Razer Lycosa
 
Thanks for the responses so far.

Oh, and to recap:
DejaWiz said:
The reason why I am only considering the MX518 or the revised G5 is because of the dual thumb buttons and the way they fit my hand (I think the Razer mice are totally uncomfortable and I would have immediate buyer's remorse).

I'm asking only for the combos listed; hence there is no "other" option in the poll. Thanks.
 
I know exactly which ones to get. It will blow your mind.

Go to best buy, and screw around with them. Which ever feels right to you, buy.

I may prefer the G5, but you may hate the way it feels in your hand. Same with any keyboard.

It's a personal choice, not what everyone else thinks.
 
Not a fan of the new g9 or the new V2 G15 keyboard. I use the old g15 with the flip screen (great for portability, woot for lans) and the V1 G5. Id get the V2 G5 for the dual buttons although that new grip and look is a little meh. Comes down to preferance on which g15, i like the old one you may like the new one who knows.

Been using them both for a little over a year now and i love them :)
 
I know exactly which ones to get. It will blow your mind.

Go to best buy, and screw around with them. Which ever feels right to you, buy.

I may prefer the G5, but you may hate the way it feels in your hand. Same with any keyboard.

It's a personal choice, not what everyone else thinks.

Well no doubt. Did me stating "I hate the way the Razer mice feel" not provide a strong enough clue that I have gone to various stores, I have checked them all out, and I'm simply asking for opinions and feedback on the various devices? Consider it research.... if I really like both keyboards but wanted to hear about others experiences and one of those keyboards turned out to be a total piece of shit based on feedback, I'm going to steer away from it.

Here's what I'm leaning towards:
Eclipse II and the G5.

Anyone got any feedback based on experiences (both positive and negative) they care to share with me on either product?

Thanks
-Wiz
 
I have a G15 keyboard and G5 rev. 2 mouse.

I like the layout on the G15. I don't use WASD, I still use the arrow keys like my father taught me. So I'm very picky about the key layout surrounding the arrow keys. G15 nailed it as did my Logitech Media X (I think that was the name) keyboard before that. Like how it lights up, and dig the ability to run FRAPS on the LCD. I don't use any of the macros though and the click to the keys aren't as satisfying as my previous board.

The G5 is pretty awesome. I use the weights that come with it just because I have them. Doesn't make me anymore lethal than my MX-510 did. I like the ability to adjust DPI on the fly. The texture of the mouse also allows my sweat to instantly evaporate so whomever I allow to use my PC doesn't have to know I have sweaty palms. Went with the G5 because I couldn't find a wireless solution that met my needs.
 
Got my new keyboard and mouse!

After cashing out a shit-ton of gift cards, I'm now the owner of a G5 and Eclipse II.

I had to take a G15 to a manager to have them open the box since there wasn't one on display. After comparing both side by side, I liked the key size of the E-II a lot better than the G15, as it was slightly larger than the Logitech offering. Another thing that drew me to the E-II is the red illumination since it's fairly easy on my eyes (blue led light seems to fatigue my eyes fairly quick).

As for the mouse, I've been eyeballing the MX-518 for the better part of a year now, but after taking a closer look at the G5, I really like the texture and overall feel a bit better than the MX. The weights are a nice feature, as I was able to get approx the same weight as my old MX700, then lighten it up a bit so it didn't feel so clunky. Oh, and the on-the-fly sensitivity adjustment is just fuckin cool, even when clicking around the Windows desktop or moving around open windows.

Overall, I'm really happy with them so far.

Since there wasn't anything really negative stated about either kb or mouse, I figured i couldn't go wrong. Thanks everyone for providing feedback! :cool:
 
Razer copperhead and g15. I had a g15 but I spilled coke on it and fried part of it. :(
 
G15 + Intellimouse 3.0

I know you didn't have the Intelli as an option but I love it. This is after using most of the "elite gaming" mice listed throughout this thread.
 
Does the Eclipse II have anything more to offer than my Eclipse except for the LED colors?
 
If the original G5 revision had two extra buttons and a less obtrusive scroll wheel, it would be the ultimate mouse. I favor the original G5 because the texture is better than Rev2's nasty sticky blue crap. Rev1's texture is superb... Rev2's is just nasty and my MX518 (which otherwise is a great mouse) gets too dirty and slimey from finger grease..

For keyboard, doesn't matter really. Cheapest one.
 
MX518 - I've found their longevity to be suspect, buttons wore out too quickly. Quiet scrolling wheel = yay. Harder to click middle mouse. Back/forward buttons. Has a tendency to feel quicker/more of a flicking mouse, and the lighter weight = overcompensation sometimes.

G5 - Durable and sexy, keep going back to mine time and time again, had my original for 1.5 years now. Larger surface area for gliding pads = liquid smooth motion. Loud scrolling wheel = meh. Easier to middle mouse click. Back button only, but makes things feel "simpler" for FPS. Weight kit helps you mix things up once in a while. Weight kit's release button tends to make noise if you move mouse back/forth too quickly.

G15 - New one's overpriced, but hot damn - it is s3cksy. Also more compact than the old one (which has been sighted for only $35 @ ZZF :eek:).

Eclipse II - If it's anything like the older Eclipse one model (black board, silver letters), they you're getting a solid keyboard for typing. Whisper quiet, soft response. Pretty color alternatives are nice, too.
 
G5 - Durable and sexy, keep going back to mine time and time again, had my original for 1.5 years now. Larger surface area for gliding pads = liquid smooth motion. Loud scrolling wheel = meh. Easier to middle mouse click. Back button only, but makes things feel "simpler" for FPS. Weight kit helps you mix things up once in a while. Weight kit's release button tends to make noise if you move mouse back/forth too quickly.

Eclipse II - If it's anything like the older Eclipse one model (black board, silver letters), they you're getting a solid keyboard for typing. Whisper quiet, soft response. Pretty color alternatives are nice, too.

The scroll wheel on the rev2 G5 is silent like a ninja. The thumb buttons have a bit more feedback feeling than my MX700 (they are a bit harder to press and don't make a sound vs the old), so they took some getting used to.

The E-II feels solid, that's for sure. It doesn't have all the fancy-schmancy buttons and functions of the G15, but I had to debate with myself as to whether or not I actually needed all those extra keys. And like I stated in my previous post, it doesn't feel as cramped as the G15, so typing is actually easier for me.
 
I tried the new G15 v2 and didn't like the feel at all. I guess using both versions of the Dinovo (original and Edge) has hooked me on the "laptop style" keyboards. I just ordered the Razer Lycosa. It's a lot like the Edge, but has blue back-lit keys which are rubberized for non-slippage during serious frag sessions. It's not wireless, but that's not much of an issue for me. I hope it lives up to the billing.

My mouse still is the awesome Razer Copperhead!
 
just gotta report back into this thread = logitech G5 @ 2000 DPI + ratpadz XT = twitchtastic! :D
 
The scroll wheel on the rev2 G5 is silent like a ninja. The thumb buttons have a bit more feedback feeling than my MX700 (they are a bit harder to press and don't make a sound vs the old), so they took some getting used to.

o rly? That's excellent, rev. 1 G5's wheels are clicky as hell ... :(
 
I think you can tweak some USB settings to make the MX518 more responsive than the G5... I read that somewhere.. at any rate.. I'd go Eclips II and MX510.. but that's what I am using right now.. so very biased.. hehe
 
Back
Top