What is your primary audio configuration for gaming?

What is your primary audio configuration for gaming.

• Headphones

Votes: 128 46.5%
  • TV/monitor/laptop internal speakers

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 2.0/2.1 computer speakers

Votes: 41 14.9%
  • 2.0/2.1 DAC/active speakers/receiver

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • 5.1 home theater

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • 5.1 computer speakers

Votes: 37 13.5%
  • 7.1 home theater

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 7.1 computer speakers

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters

djoye

2[H]4U
This is in the gaming sub-forum because this is targeted at gamers.

Clarification of terms:
  • TV/monitor internal speakers (including internal laptop speakers): any integrated speakers; basically whatever is in your TV, computer monitor, or laptop.
  • Computer speakers: speakers designed specifically for computer use by companies like Creative, Logitech, Corsair, etc.
  • DAC/active speakers/receiver: using powered bookshelf speakers or speakers paired with an external amplifier; components that aren't typically advertised as being for computer use.
  • Home theater: a setup with a receiver and surround speakers that typically belongs with a TV movie-watching setup.

I know that there are x.2 (two subwoofer) setups and setups with more than 8 speakers but this is taking into consideration the limitations of gaming hardware/software. If you have >8 speakers, pick 7.1.

I usually use my 2.1 computer setup. Occasionally I use my home theater setup though.

Home theater 7.1 setup, connected to my computer.
Make sure to add it to the poll. Looks like the body of the post is posted and then the poll is added after it is created later in the process so I think you commented before the poll got added.

I have a roommate so I primarily use headphones. When I don't, I use some Logitech 2.1 speakers (holy shit I've had these for 8 years???... got them with my first computer build around the time I joined [H])

A freebie 80's receiver and pair of bose bookshelf speakers. SRH840 when my gtx 470 is taking off.

I use headphones so my daughter doesn't hear my bonehead friends scream out obscenities when they get killed in whatever online game we happen to be playing.

Depends on the system. Old school Samsung flat CRT SDTV for the Sega Saturn, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, etc... Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's. Sounds great for old games where fidelity isn't the most important thing in the world. The full range output of the system is wonderful for arcade titles like Vampire Savior (Saturn) and really gives the games some punch.

Computer gaming setup - Klipsch iFi.

Both are 2.1 systems, and both are good. The iFi's are very nice for the money they cost these days.

Typically 2.1.

5.1 if the game supports it and I'm willing to go in the other room and turn on my AVR.

I use headphones 70% of the time but I still consider my Swan M200MkIII's my primary system.

I have to use headphone when I use a mic. But anytime I game single player I use the Swan's.

Headphones for immersion, but as the poll said 'primary,' i'm sad to have to have voted 2.x active speakers.

Headphones. The receiver is used almost exclusively by my cat. She loves to sleep on the warm grill :D I only use my 5.0 setup for movies, music, watching GSL matches and MAME/Gens.

I use a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50s at the moment. Speakers would be great; in an apartment, not so much. :p

I do most of my gaming on my 360 these days because its hooked up to my 5.1 surround sound. All PC gaming is done with headsets and a little smart phone gaming here and there.

headphones generally steel series Siberia v2 NV edition on my PC. Turtlebeach P11 on my PS3. Yeah I'm sure there's probably better but my SV2 only cost me $40 and my P11 $35. Yay a decent black friday for once.

I've been wearing headphones for the past few years. Had to after pissing off the next door neighbors. It wasn't because I was playing the game audio or music too loud but because I wouldn't play any country music. :(

I use an old Creative 5.1 setup, the potentiometer on the volume knob is shot so I leave them on 24/7 and adjust the volume through windows but they still sound as good as they did when new. I regret not picking up the upper end Klipsch that were available at the time but I was already spending a few thousand on a new system and couldn't afford another $500. Unfortunately Klipsch dumped the high end stuff shortly after that and all of the computer speakers I've looked at since then have worse specs/sound than my Creative speakers, one of these days I'll get a real receiver and a good set of surround sound speakers for my computer room.

I run the Logitech z906 5.1 set (had to get something new once my z5500's died). have my rig hooked up through toslink and analog. Have an old logitech headset that i used back when I was in a RTCW clan. Keep wanting to get a nice set of cans but since most retail places don't have anything more than beats (ugh) it's hard to test anything before buying! Playing single player games in 5.1 is great, sure to block out background noises I have to crank it up a bit... but that's what makes itfun ;) even if it annoys neighbors! lol

Many years ago I bought Gigaworks 750's. They still work and they are still my primary source of audio. I started to get into headphones for music however I don't know if I would ever feel right gaming on them.

Corsair 1500 Vengence

also have Z-5500's for music and watching a movie

If I'm on one of the computers it's either headphones or 2.1 computer speakers. For the consoles they all go through my home theater.

I'm probably 50/50 2.0 speaker system and stereo headphones (HD650's sound awesome for gaming), depending whether there's someone else home for me to annoy. I haven't heard any sub $1000 5.1+ systems of which I like the sound. Even 2.1 I'm not a huge fan for most things because I can hear the bass is coming from the sub separately to the smaller speakers and it just sounds odd to me.

A decent 5.1 HT setup described below. All my consoles/pc hook up to my receiver and display to my monitor.

Still using my Cambridge Soundworks FPS 2000 speakers. They still sound good, I definitely got my money out of them ;)

I originally bought 2.1 computer speakers with the intent of upgrading, but BOSE makes some more than decent pc speakers and have found no real reason to upgrade.

5.1 Surround Sound typically. I use headphones when I play a game where I will actually use a mic (TF2, Planetside 2, etc.).

Headphones, because it gives nice imaging and there are usully outside things going on. Then if other people are watching I use the monitor speakers... Though not amazing, because they don't really have any bass (which you need), the walls absorb pretty much everything so you can have them on at 3am and no one else can really hear them (though thats mainly for console games/films). :D

i'm using some cheapo 2.1 setup because i got sick of breaking headphones when i would forget i had them on when i'd leave my computer, lol.

I have a 5.1 speaker setup, but I seem to use headphones 99% of the time.

Back