What is your Mac mini configuration?

Garage81

Mac Daddy
If you've pulled the trigger on one, what all did you get?

Summary
• 256MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
• 80GB Ultra ATA drive
• Combo Drive
• Internal Bluetooth + AirPort Extreme Card
• 56K v.92 Modem
• Mac OS X - U.S. English
• 1.42GHz PowerPC G4

Estimated Ship:
Deliver by Jan 22nd
Free Shipping
Subtotal $695.00

That is with the educational discount. I have a 512 stick of pc2700 to use with it also. Plan on using my logitech cordlesss mx duo and my Dell 2001fp with it.

The 80 gig HD is 50 bucks from the baseline model, so I spend the extra 50 bucks to get the faster processor. I got bluetooth also so that I can sync with my next cell phone, and eventually I might want to pick up the apple BT kb and mouse.

How did you configure your Mac mini, and why? What are you going to pair it with?

Cauz only some programs run on MAC and some people perfer MAC or some people already own a PC but want a MAC

Im going with..
1.42GHz PowerPC G4
256MB DDR333 SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB DDR video memory
80GB Ultra ATA hard drive
Superdrive
DVI or VGA video output
AirPort Extreme

i am so excited about this, I had no idea it would be that small. Its going to hide real nice on my desk, or maybe in my desk.

lol I wouldn't mind using one. It could sit on top of my Shuttle hahaha...two SFF compys. That and I can fold with both of em. Soon as I get enough money I'll prolly pick one up.

The Mac mini will make an awesome cluster computer for decryption and the like. According to what I've seen, the G4 is very good at such things. ;)

hey, i was just wondering! :) good points you all have, which is what i was really looking for. i just wanted to know what it is that is so different!

Don't worry, no offense intended, I just wanted to give you the answers you were looking for :D

how many sodimm slots does it have? cuz buyin a cheap stick of 512mb would definitely be worth buyin. also i suppose one of them 7200rpm Hitachi 60gb laptop drives would speed it up significantly also

ANYONE who orders one of these should have 512MB of RAM. I think it is a cool system, but as usual the amount of memory Apple puts on the base model is not enough.

Asian Fury said:
how many sodimm slots does it have? cuz buyin a cheap stick of 512mb would definitely be worth buyin. also i suppose one of them 7200rpm Hitachi 60gb laptop drives would speed it up significantly also

the few shots of the internals make it look like one
:(

Also, I decided to upgrade to a SuperDrive, as I don't have one in my iBook, and think it would be pretty nice to have in my "desktop" machine.

Good stuff, goooooooood stuff.

1.42GHz model with 512MB RAM and Combo Drive, but I think I'll wait until I can pay cash money.

i believe they only have one RAM slot. i guess that has already been covered.

i'm kind of anxious to get these in stock where i work. hopefully they're easy to upgrade, as that is what i'll be doing when they show up.

lesman said:
hmmm, might try the mac thing.

you should really [if you're close to one] head down to the apple store to try OS X out in person.

It's truly an amazing Operating System.

At first (as all things 'new') it'll feel different from what you're used to (windows, linux, etc.), after the 'new' feeling wears off, you'll see how much more efficient it is, and your productivity will increase .... @ least for me it did when I switched about 3 years back :)

i think the general consensus is that if youre ballsy enough, and dont mind voiding your warranty, it looks like you can get the case apart. probably take some finesse, and a knife, to get through all those hooks without breaking one of them.

im excited to see the modding community get ahold of these also. tho the stock configuration is pretty awesome.

hehe, imagin slammin one into a large PC case along with a Micro ATX machine and having a networked machine in one box? :D Hmmmm, I feel the temptation FLOWING through me! I will need to do some investigation as to TV capture software first before hand though ;)

I may get one of these or just get a new ibook to replace my clear g3 800. If I get once of these though I'll be bumping up the ram for sure(well I guess that goes for either). Now to figure out what to do with the ibook 800(will miss the clear shell if I get a new one)

Nasty_Savage said:
hehe, imagin slammin one into a large PC case along with a Micro ATX machine and having a networked machine in one box? :D Hmmmm, I feel the temptation FLOWING through me! I will need to do some investigation as to TV capture software first before hand though ;)

i would like to mod one of these, and a microatx box into one box, while also modding a kvm into the box. imagine how cool that would be, if you rig the kvm up to a switch on the front of the case, allowing you to go from pc<->mac mode in the switch of a button.

man, that would kick ass. i hope someone does that.

edit: be damn cool also if they modded a small switch or hub in there, and had both computers networked, and had a shared larger hard drive in there too.

Garage81 said:
That is with the educational discount. I have a 512 stick of pc2700 to use with it also. Plan on using my logitech cordlesss mx duo and my Dell 2001fp with it.

I believe that the mini only has one ram slot...

Fair warning to everyone:

If the trolling / offtopic posts continue, I will be forced to lock the thread.
I will leave it up to the OP if he wants me to clean out the thread.

Well, even though this post is off-topic too, I'd like to apologize for trolling. I'm sorry for disrupting the thread.

I would love to shove one of these into a 5.25" bay. I think my case is wide enough. Hmm, put a KVM switch in one of the 3.5"s...it would be amazing. Now the question: 6800 GT...or MacMini? Ahhhh!

I wish it could have had a clocked down lower power G5... maybe 1.4Ghz or something... instead of the G4

and deffinatly 512MB of ram at least for todays day and age

but it deffinatly looks cool

swatbat said:
I may get one of these or just get a new ibook to replace my clear g3 800. If I get once of these though I'll be bumping up the ram for sure(well I guess that goes for either). Now to figure out what to do with the ibook 800(will miss the clear shell if I get a new one)
i might be interested in that if you wanna sell it later on.

just lettin you know...

i think the posibilities of a G5 mac mini are a possitility in the future but who knows...right now I think the market that is trying to be grabbed would be the switchers...give them a good enough box to play with and see if they like it at a decent price...I will probably be getting one for the wife and it will be the standard model (maybe upgrade the HD)... and I will upgrade the RAM myself once the service manuals come out since I **AM** desktop certified :D

when i order one (after i see some feedback), it will probably be the 1.42 g4/80gb, with the superdrive. and I if I can crack the case myself, 1gb ram.

Is it just me or do all these parts seem to be notebook parts EXCEPT the dimm slot. I just wonder why they didn't use SO-DIMMs. Is it a cost measure?

WHo cares about power. the 1.42 would be just right for a cluster to sit and render video, Audio, or just have more prossesing power. At 600.00 a pop, a cluster would not be a bad idea.

badtz said:
you should really [if you're close to one] head down to the apple store to try OS X out in person.

It's truly an amazing Operating System.
CompUSA, also. I think they're a certified retailer (or something like that).

This is my first Mac BTW...

I went with

1.25GHz
256MB RAM
40GB HDD
Combo Drive
Bluetooth + Airport

Sykil said:
CompUSA, also. I think they're a certified retailer (or something like that).

I forgot! Yes, CompUSA is an 'official' Apple/Mac reseller.

Fry's [used?] to be I think .......

Back