Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other

Votes: 10 9.4%

• Total voters
This poll fails.

Arch? Slackware?

C'mon, you didn't even try.

Also, *BSD and Windows are definitely not Linux :rolleyes:

You also might want to PM a mod and ask them to move this to the Linux section.

I don't really have any servers, just peers on the home network. I selected Windows only because my network backup server runs XP.

I want WS2008 though. :p Anyone want to PIF me a copy?

RHEL / CentOS is the number 1 leading server OS used in the DoD and Enterprise Environments.

I voted Debian but we use CentOS on all mission critical servers.

Generaly speaking I run windows servers now but for unix based systems it is generaly freebsd or redhat.

Does Slackware have a package management system that lets you easily keep your system up to date and install applications?

i use Debian on my server. (desktop, print sever, heck eveyrthing else too)

I am trying to switch to freeBSD though. just to learn

On my personal servers, Gentoo. On the servers for business, CentOS for our in-house stuff and RHEL for our deployed stuff.

Does Slackware have a package management system that lets you easily keep your system up to date and install applications?

For simple package management, yes. You can install/remove packages (which end in .tgz) with the command line tool installpkg and removepkg. You can also use the graphical interface pkgtool to do the same thing.

If you're looking for something similar to Debian's apt-get, then I would recommend using either slackpkg (which can be found on the Slackware disc or FTP site in /extra) or slapt-get (which is closest to emulating apt-get and can be paired up with a Gnome interface, Gslapt).

Now I have to inform you that since Slackware isn't as common as any RPM-based (Mandriva, Fedora Core) or Debian-based distribution (i.e. Ubuntu, Knoppix, DamnSmallLinux) , there are not nearly as many packages provided either. Which means if you're looking to install the latest and greatest software or something obscure, you will have to compile it. Fortunately, many people of the Slackware community have created a way to easily compile a program and transform it into an installable package using a common script called a SlackBuild.

Slackbuilds are great tool when a precompiled package can't be found. You can download a package and the Slackbuild provided with it, run the script, and install the packaged software (assuming that your system has the required libraries for to software to compile successfully). You can also create your own Slackbuilds for software that isn't listed on the website's database. Check out slackbuilds.org for more info.

Lastly, I would recommend Gilbert Ashley's src2pkg. This software is pretty much the 'swiss army knife' of Slackware package creation. Just run the command in the directory with the compressed source code of nearly any program and it will automatically compile (again depending on whether you have a working compiler and the required libraries) and create a package for you. I use this for bleeding edge software (compiz-fusion comes to mind) when slackbuilds are too much of a hassle to create or modify. (Although with bleeding-edge, I wouldn't be referring to a system set up as a server now, would I? :))

Well I originally installed the Ubuntu Desktop edition, on my current Linux box, but then added the "AMP" to make it a "LAMP" Server. :)

Other, Suse Enterprise Linux Server 10.2

Running two servers at home, one for web server and samba server, one for VMWARE Server.

Running Three at work, which run VMWARE Server in Production.

My favorite linux distro? Gentoo. It sucks the least out of all of them as a desktop OS (IMHO), and that's what I primarily use my computers for. But given a choice between windows or linux for a desktop OS, I wouldn't hesitate to go with Windows.

Server wise, it'd be different. Gentoo is my choice, because it's so flexible and customizable, and it can be configured to your hardware more specifically than the other distros.

I liked Gentoo when I used it, then I was a fan of Slackware for a while.
I think if it is just a basic LAMP box, I really liked ClarkConnect when I was using it. The only reason I don't use it now is that I wanted to also use my box for some basic desktop use.

I've been thinking of giving Arch a crack or CentOS, just for fun, but really, I'm fairly comfortable wtih vi and conf files, but I could just as easily get an Ubuntu server up and running with no issues, let it do the work and not have to worry about it. For some things, I still have to compile myself as I have found the repositories aren't always stocked with the latest and greatest.

So currently, Ubuntu. For the lazy linux user :p

I really like debian for pretty much any server I run, though I run CentOS on our webhosting server because it plays nice with CPanel

no RHEL/CentOS? those two make up the majority of servers out there, how can it not be an option?

no RHEL/CentOS? those two make up the majority of servers out there, how can it not be an option?

Agreed, if you're looking to work with what's in "the field," look into CentOS because it's basically the free version of RHEL.

I run CentOS on all business servers, most of the software that we use is certified to run on Red Hat and so it has, thus far, been a guarantee that things will work on CentOS. Used to run FreeBSD but ran into issues running RH certified software on FreeBSD so we migrated to CentOS

Is this question for home systems? The original questions wording sounded more business oriented. I use Ubuntu at home and internally use Ubuntu for testing but basically everyone I work with uses CentOS/RHEL. Sometimes Fedora and rarely Suse. I've seen one customer ever use Gentoo btw but it was only for some driver development.

I personally use Debian because I like dpkg and the stability.

CentOS or Red Hat is what you'd find in an Enterprise environment though.

ubuntu 8.04 / xp on my gaming rig, dreamlinux (ubuntu based) / xp dual boot on my girlfriend's box, xp on my work laptop.

CentOS on all new production servers. Heck, it's free RHEL :) It is a good server OS, but I also think Ubuntu LTS is a good option too.

I see a lot of places where I live running FreeBSD. Our local ISP runs a FreeBSD farm for all of their web-hosting, and my college runs FreeBSD for their webserver.
I am too surprised that RHEL/CentOS did not make the list, along with SUSE Enterprise. I just wish there was a CentOS equivalent to SUSE Enterprise :sadpanda:

Fedora Core at home

CentOS in the shop

&

RHEL for customers

i :heart: rpm-hell :D

Gentoo on my personal and I run SunOS and CentOS at work for test/production.

How can you have this poll and not list CentOS?
One of the fastest growing linux server platforms.
We are using CentOS on virtually every server we deploy now.

Back