What is your current Operating System?

What is your current Operating System or what will you buy in the next 3 months?

• Windows XP 32 bit

Votes: 59 24.3%
  • Windows XP 64 bit

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • Windows Vista Basic 32bit/64/bit

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit/64bit

Votes: 35 14.4%
  • Windows Vista Business 32/64bit

Votes: 23 9.5%
  • Windows Vista Ultimate 32/64 bit

Votes: 87 35.8%
  • Linux/Unix

Votes: 18 7.4%
  • Other/Apple OSes - please specify below

Votes: 10 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
Use the poll to display what OS you use/have installed.

Or, if you like, choose which OS you definately have plans to buy within the next 3 months.

This is not a wishlist poll, it is a poll to see what people run and what they can or choose to afford - meaning don't choose Vista Ultimate if you don't want to or can't to pay for it. Your vote will not be shown publically.

I'm curious because I'm considering doing some system builds to try to sell on ebay with Q6600 overclocks and want to know what OS people in general prefer/have installed --- and as I'm obviously passing the OS cost onto the customer I would like to have an idea of what people are willing to pay for. IE I'd like Visita Ultimate, but in reality I'd only pay $50 for the Vista Basic if I was buying a new machine. That's the honestly I'm looking for in this poll.

Windows Vista Ultimate x64 - Main Rig
Simply wanted the best (wish my hardware was as well :D)
Windows XP Home - Family Computer (came with the HP)
Windows XP Home - Spare Computer (came with the Dell)

Vista Business x64. Got it free through the academic site from my Wife's college.

Oh oh, almost forgot, Vista Home Premium on my laptop.

OSX 10.4.11 with plans on going to 10.5 in the next few months.

I use my old G4 Mac more than my windows box these days. Only time I use the Windows (XP) box is for video encoding, playing Civ IV, or testing sites in IE.

Home Premium, Came with the laptop. I have ran Linux as well. I had a dual boot of kubuntu, but without the internet i found it hard to stay updated.

Vista Business 32-bit. MSDN license on my laptop, copy I won during an MS event on campus on the Desktop, OEM copy on the machine at work.

it occurred to me that I could buy a bunch of Q6600's from microcenter, buy a bunch of cases, and motherboards like the Abit IP-35e, cheap PC 6400 ram and try to sell a 3.2 or even 3.6 ghz overclocked q6600 on ebay. I got excited about it because I was thinking everybody would like to have a CPU that runs faster than intel even sells. Alas, I was looking at ebay and Q6600's that are proven to hit 3.6ghz are buy it nows for 250$. They cost that much new at most places outside of microcenter...so my reason for making this poll is dashed :) But the poll could prove interesting anyway. So by all means - proceed :cool:

Multiple choice would have been better for this poll. Many of us have multiple systems and/or dual boot.

Linux - Ubuntu 8.04 beta for me, because it suits my needs far better than Windows ever managed to back in the days when I used it (up to and including the Vista release).

Tuesday my copy of Vista Home Premium gets here. Going on the first computer in my sig.

How can I possibly vote when I can only choose one? I use both Vista and XP daily and sometimes ME for those old school gaming sessions. Sometime I have Linux up and running too but not currently. If I do run Linux it is usually Ubuntu.

List of machines and order of most used OSes with the first being the most used and the last being the least used.

Main system in sig - triple boot: openSUSE 10.3, XP64 and Vista Ultimate 64.
[email protected] - openSUSE 10.3
[email protected] - openSUSE 10.3
[email protected] - openSUSE 10.3 and XP Pro 32
AthlonXP [email protected] openSUSE 10.3 and XP Pro 32
P3 1Ghz - ubuntu 7.10

As you can tell, I spend the majority of my time with openSUSE. I have XP64 installed on my main system for when I play games and Vista only for help troubleshooting problems for other people. The XP32 on the Athlon 1700+ is for things my son needs Windows for and the XP32 installation on the X2 is just a leftover from stability checking my overclock as there are more and better tools for Windows; at least ones I'm familiar with and I never bothered to remove that installation although it's never used.

Main machine - Vista x64 Ultimate

Then a smattering of Debian, Windows XP Pro, Vista x32 Business, and more.

I am currently on XP 32bit, but once I finally build a new computer I will be getting Vista Ultimate 64bit. Though it has taken me almost a year to decide that I think I need a computer, it will probably be another year before I actually decide on parts.

dual boot windows98FE :: FreeBSD _6 (stable); posting from the latter now.
upgraded _6 to _7 on another disk ( future ide >> sata migration included ) to test 6000+ AMD cpu/mobo
as _6 EOL (end of life) will be transpiring, this _6 will eventually be _7 (a "buildworld" process).
edit TERMS
stable:: -- is a distribution whose souce code changes daily (_6 _7 _8 now, tho the latter probably "current")
buildworld: actually (fetch source code) (build "world) (build "kernel) (install kernel" ) reboot (install world) tho it
would fail that way, 5 or so additional steps included.
persons have reported... Hey I just rebuilt _6 accidentally with _7 source code, now I'm running _7 super. is
there anything I should be worried about... (not the message, but a very loose paraphrase)

FreeBSD on all my machines.

Linux is terrible, and I don't really have a use for Vista or XP anymore (though, I do expect to be moving one of my machines to Windows this summer).

@jb_hafo: I'm not sure what you mean by accidentally rebuilding 6 with 7 source code (all you did was build 7...) but, if you haven't built the 7 userland, yes, you should be worried.

i was only paraphrasing a message someone had posted on a list. *that* error wouldn't
happen to me, tho others have (one buildworld I had to re-image from the before-buildworld
stage because the installworld went wrong).

well despite the sig I am running _7 (stable) now... (a few days ago _6)
good to go until _8_1 (version 8.1) at least
fixed /glexcess/, /glclock/, /nvidia-driver/,
and a few others.
had been WAITING for those fixes...
broke /firefox/, /seamonkey/ but not opera (latter static)
rebuilding firefox and seamonkey and nautilus concurrently in the background right now
for the first time this installworld I did the "make delete-old " steps after
installing /compat6x/
went ahead and made the custom kernel before building it so never ran
GENERIC. only one error and discovered the buildworld only requires "/bin/rm -rf "
but not the buildkernel.

Had to vote other, running Vista x64 Enterprise on most of my machines.

Everyone is wasting time on Vista. It never acts right on any of my computers, and I have 2GB on 1 laptop and 3GB on the other. It's screwy. I voted for what I have which is Vista Home Permium, doesn't mean I don't think Windows XP WAY better, and more user friendly..

4 machines...

Laptop (3 year old Dell Inspiron w/ a Pentium M 1.6Ghz processor and 2GB) Vista Business 32
AMD 64 3000+ w/ 1GB and a nVidia 6600GT (AGP) Vista Home Premium 32
Media Center PC (AMD64 X2 3800+ w/ 2GB and a nvidia 6200LE) Vista Ultimate 64
Main PC (Intel QX6850 w/ 4GB and a nVidia 8800GTX) Vista Ultimate 64.

All work perfectly with no problems at all. All run Aero without problems as well including the laptop. All running SP1.

I'm happily "wasting my time" on Vista. The new start button search and previous versions features are a total waste and I never use them..... Oh wait, yes I do. Actually, when I use and XP machine I feel like I did when I went to a windows 95/98 machine after running XP a while.

Currently using good ol' XP Pro, but pretty soon i'm gonna move to Vista Home Premium 64-Bit!

Most of my systems run Windows 2003 Enterprise R2 SP2 :)

Some Linux and WinXP SP2 as well.

Vista Ultimate (32bit for software compatibility)
Personally I now think that unless you want the encryption (which is a pain and not as useful as you'd think) or have only single/twin monitors in order to run Dream Scene then Home Premium is the best value.

main rig: 32 bit ubuntu 7.10
laptop: 32 bit ubuntu 7.10
media machine: 32 bit ubuntu 7.10

you get the picture.... the only time i spend in windows anymore is at work (total bleh, but the workplace these days isnt exactly all that linux friendly, especially when you are a temp/external hire), or when fixing friends/family machines

i might get a mac some day, but currently all my machines are specced well enough for their jobs (and will be specced up enough, or easily upgradable, for the forseeable future), so i dont yet see a case for any new system purchases (besides an asus eee 901, which in my case will run, you guessed it, linux)

I use XP home for my main rig that I play games on.

Vista Home premium on my Acer Laptop which was just updated to SP1, workes flawles!

Vista Home premium on my Gateway Pc which is trouble but working on solutions now for it.

Vista x32 Ultimate on lappy
XP Pro on desktop

I voted Vista as since I've gotten my lappy, the desktop stays off. I love vista, I love laptop living. March Madness + Forum surfing at same time = win.

Laptop: Ubuntu
Gaming Rig: Win XP Pro
Media Center: MCE though changing to MythBuntu
Home media server: OpenSUSE (thinking about changing to vanilla Debian)
Work machine: Win XP Pro

I have Windows Vista 32bit home Permium

I see in the polls that vista is 37.21% over XP 22.48% Thats because Vista was made for the future to run on all new systems, Not for the old systems

:):)

I see in the polls that vista is 37.21% over XP 22.48% Thats because Vista was made for the future to run on all new systems, Not for the old systems

Sooo....not because the demographic on this forum skews the results at all, then? If the demographic was ignored, I'd be able to say that 9% of all users have seen the light and gone with Linux, which clearly isn't the case :)

Well, I have a shitload of OSes that I use...

On my main home rig: Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium.
On my Macbook: Mac OSX 10.5.2 (Native), Windows XP Home (Boot Camp) and Ubuntu (Fusion Virtual Machine.)
On my school workstation: Windows XP Professional, Ubuntu, and Linux Backtrack (Security Testing Software.)

Back