What is the Windows OEM preinst kit?

Deschain

n00b
I ordered windows XP OEM for a computer im building. What do i do with this other CD that came called the "windows XP OEM preinstallation kit?"

I dont think youll be doing anything with that extra CD, I believe its mainly for when system builders build PC's and sell them to others.
- I think there are tools in there to run sysprep and stuff

dbwillis said:
I dont think youll be doing anything with that extra CD, I believe its mainly for when system builders build PC's and sell them to others.
- I think there are tools in there to run sysprep and stuff
Yep. It's a bunch of tools to assist in creating images for PC manufacturers.

Windows PE is used by OEMs to build proprietary installation discs for their products (read: Dell, HP). It is essentially a stripped-down Win OS that allows the builder to fully customize the installation CD to the machine it's being built for.

As an example, I would create an unattended install CD for WinXP using the WinPE utilities to format and partition the hard drive the way I want, copy the contents of the Win Install CD to the hard drive and then run installation from there-- It makes for a faster install and eliminates the need to have an installation CD handy later on (instead of calling for a CD when installing new hardware, for instance, the OS looks in the original installation folder that is on-disk).

WinPE is also useful for troubleshooting, ie systems that wont boot into windows, you can boot from PE and then map to another PC and recover your files before reformatting/reinstalling the OS

Dngrsone said:
Windows PE is used by OEMs to build proprietary installation discs for their products (read: Dell, HP). It is essentially a stripped-down Win OS that allows the builder to fully customize the installation CD to the machine it's being built for.

Windows PE is *not* part of the generic OEM preinstallation kit. While it may be used by larger OEMs, the OP's disc set does not contain Windows PE.

SJConsultant said:
Windows PE is *not* part of the generic OEM preinstallation kit. While it may be used by larger OEMs, the OP's disc set does not contain Windows PE.
Actually SJC if he has the OEM Preinstall Kit CD that comes with OEM 3 packs he has WinPE in xpsp2.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Ranma_Sao said:
Actually SJC if he has the OEM Preinstall Kit CD that comes with OEM 3 packs he has WinPE in xpsp2.

Has that been a recent change? I had used a 3 pack not too long ago and did not receive PE as part of the pack.

If it has been a recent change, I stand/sit corrected. :D

Ranma_Sao said:

I'm guessing it's not available for download (legally) in order to setup a troubleshooting disc? I have an old license for ERD Commander, but if WinPE was available, I'd like to take a look at that.

Unfortunatly Djnes, no matter how many times I begged for such a thing it is still not allowed. :(

And yes it was a "recent" change as it was added with XPSP2 3 Packs.

Back