• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What is the MINIMUM CPU/GPU to do a "bigadv"?

I don't mind it.

As I tried explaining before.... fundamental problem lies
in hardware classification criteria. That's ENTIRELY project's
fault :rolleyes: Why make it personal and get riled up about
it?
 
It is that actually :p

And it's also not against the FAH EULA.


Also: Not bashing on Tear or Kraken (as I use it myself)

But Kraken is much much closer to breaking the EULA (and may infact do so depending on how you interpret it) than a core hack ever will be. Kendrak I'm sure you use the Kraken on your 4p, you see no problem with it?

As it stands: Core hack IS legal based on the EULA and VJ's own word.

You would have a hard time bashing on tear and the Kraken because I believe if you research the core hack he made that also. You would just be trashing the person that made the tool you are so desperately defending. OCN just found it and started using it for more selfish reasons.

I have tried to explain this over at OCN before. The problem here is not with the core hack being legal or illegal this is not a court of law , there has been no law written to my knowledge about the core hack. The problem lies in the fact that Stanford as for X amount of cores to run bigadv (8) originally they did not specify real or virtual just 8 now it is 12. The core hack lies to the server and tells it you have 12 cores sure they can do them on time but is it what Stanford asked for. (NO) it is not they asked for X cores.

So this now becomes a morals and ethics issue is it all right to do something we are asked not to do ? To some the answer is yes, They believe they can do whatever they want too. To me the answer is no, I will do as I am asked to, as long as it does not break the law, hurt somebody, or it is not doing something that somebody else has asked me not to do without talking to them first. And Stanford asked for a core limitation initially thus it should not have been used for the purpose it was used.

It all has to do with choices the [H] chooses to do as they are asked with Pride, Honor Morals and Ethics. Remember the old saying (You make the bed you lye in.) If you want to use the core hack go ahead and use it over at OCN but please do as Kendrak asked and do not preach it here. The [H] prefers the path they are on and many take pride in doing things right. [H]
 
I have a 6 core Thuban in my son's machine I use for folding a few times a week. It regularly takes 2-3 times longer to fold the same project as my 2600k. TPF on a 7136 right now on my 2600k is 2:39 and on my Thuban its 6:02. Granted my Thuban is only at 3.8Ghz at the moment, but still, that's a big loss to the 2600k. The sad thing is my Q9550 is even quite a bit faster then the 6 core Thuban and they are clocked the same.
 
I have a 6 core Thuban in my son's machine I use for folding a few times a week. It regularly takes 2-3 times longer to fold the same project as my 2600k. TPF on a 7136 right now on my 2600k is 2:39 and on my Thuban its 6:02. Granted my Thuban is only at 3.8Ghz at the moment, but still, that's a big loss to the 2600k. The sad thing is my Q9550 is even quite a bit faster then the 6 core Thuban and they are clocked the same.

There's something quite wrong with your x6 then. An x6 is as fast or faster than a 2500k in folding. A q9550 is no where near capable of completing a 6904 by the deadline, an x6 can :p.
 
There's something quite wrong with your x6 then. An x6 is as fast or faster than a 2500k in folding. A q9550 is no where near capable of completing a 6904 by the deadline, an x6 can :p.

So at what cost? A x6 overclocked pulled almost 300W (with integrated video and HDD) vs 2600K pulled 150W. What I do is fold with AMD during colder season and Intel during warmer time. Last Winter I turn off my electric heat pump and crankup all my AMD CPUs, and my electric bill was less than before I started folding lol.
 
OP - if you've got a grand, you can probably find a 4p G34 board (600ish), a pair of 6128's (100-125 each) memory and a power supply for a few bucks under that. The 16 cores is enough to clear 6903 and 6904 units with about a day to spare under the deadline currently, and as the requirement goes up, just add more processors and scale it up.
 
OP - if you've got a grand, you can probably find a 4p G34 board (600ish), a pair of 6128's (100-125 each) memory and a power supply for a few bucks under that. The 16 cores is enough to clear 6903 and 6904 units with about a day to spare under the deadline currently, and as the requirement goes up, just add more processors and scale it up.

I'm bumping this thread because I've sold all the crap I have in order to get something BIG! :)

I want to do extreme research... I want to cure cancer!! MWAAHAHAAA!!! [cue thunder and lightning]

This G34 approach is tempting except your prices seem to be WAY below retail... where are you able to get such good deals??
 
Fleabay is your friend.

What is the pay retail you speak of?
 
Yes get on ebay and source out all the parts you need, only thing you might consider paying retail for is the RAM, PSU and the CM 212+ (You can check CM's site, they often have refurb'd 212+ for like $12 + shipping. I got two of them and they look brand new.).
 
Also keep an eye on the DC for sale section. Really goo deal show up there, but things are not predictable.
 
I could go with a single i7 3930K which would be great for anything except maybe bigadv.... :(

The AMD Opteron 6272 16-core processor has 4 more threads and room for a second CPU and 32 amazing cores! Unfortunately, each core is running at a lousy 2.1ghz vs. about double on the i7.

I could use the heat - this basement is freezing!!
 
I got 4 for 400 with 15 S&H. The chips all look good, just need to get my mobo to fire it up... *paces impatiently*
 
Wings2004 .. can you give me the contact infor for that guy (who sells 6128 for $100 a pop + shippng)?
 
yhpm. For all else, I'm not trying to [H]orde the info, I just don't know about posting a couple guys company emails on the forums, but if thats ok, let me know...

Also I'm not affiliated with them at all, I just got cheap power from em.
 
Back
Top