What is the last game that lived up to the hype on day 1?

The most recent? Shadow of Mordor. Great port...let's repeat that, a great fucking port first and foremost with no issues. Great combat, story, graphics and the nemesis was actually interesting and not just a gimmick.

Batman: Arkham City was the last one. I didn't play Arkham Asylum on day 1 and Arkham origins was a smidge broken at launch.

Half life 2 and no I don't recall it ever crashing for me, I think I binge-played it and finished in like 3 days I think. Its been a while. I just don't buy anything day 1 anymore I think.

Half-Life 2 here as well. I had that feeling like movie sequels it was going to suck and it went above and beyond and was solid for the most part on release. I think someone was referring to it having problems on Steam, but that's not really Day 1 because Steam wasn't required if you bought the box set which was far more common back then.

Last year? Shadows of Mordor and Alien: Isolation. I could not believe that we actually got two good license based games.

definitely HL2, deus ex: human revolution was a blast, and the burning crusade expac for wow did a great job.

Back