What is the last game that lived up to the hype on day 1?

Kalmado

Limp Gawd
I'm curious to see responses to this question. It seems like over the last few years so many AAA titles have promised so much or have been hyped beyond belief only to drop the ball come release day. What game(s) do you feel really delivered right from day 1?

I would say Skyrim. It had bugs as all Bethesda games do, but nothing game breaking for me overall.

Elite Dangerous.

I started playing that on Day-1 release and played nothing else for 2 months. It was exactly what I expected and it was fun. I played a hell of a lot and found no game-breaking issues at all.

Sadly, it's lacking in depth so I'm taking a break for now. Hopefully things will pick up with a few updates and expansions.

Beyond: Two Souls
Mass Effect 3
Skyrim
And I really wanted to say Last of Us, but graphically it was a let down for me.

For PC? Last I can think of was TF2. Everything else in recent years has been released half-assed, requiring patch after patch after patch. But blame that on consumers who love bending over for dem preorders.

For Consoles? Amongst the many consistently-great Nintendo games that don't reek of day 1 brokenness:

Smash Bros Wii U
Bayonetta 2

On PC - Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dishonored and Tomb Raider.

On Console: Last of Us Remastered and Wolfenstein: New Order

Last edited:
Dragon Age 1, and Dragon age Inquisition.

Skyrim

Halflife 2

Mass effect 1 and 2.

Witcher 1 and 2

Deus ex HR!

Skyrim, was excited for the release and it exceeded my expectations in every way.

Hearthstone, I've played Hearthstone every day for over a year. They must be doing something right.

These are just some that off the top of my head.

Shenmue, Halo, Mass Effect, Burning Crusade, & WoTLK,

As far as PC titles, I feel Portal 2 lived up to it's hype. I also agree with the Skyrim mentions.

Portal 2 was also the last game I ever pre-ordered.

All i know is that 2014 was a disappointing year for sequels for the most part. minus a couple exceptions like wolfenstein but it wasn't hyped much

So much wrong in this thread:

Half Life 2 - Buggy steam crashed computers
Skyrim - Simplified quest text and RPG elements, baby's first RPG
Mass Effect 2 - SciFi RPG turned Shooter
ME3 - That ending, even less RPG
Evolve - $120 Day 1 DLC
Dark Souls 2 - Graphical Downgrade versus trailers
Bayonetta 2 - On WiiU

:D

Mass Effect
Last of Us
Uncharted 2
Bioshock Infinite
Fallout 3
Batman series
Tomb Raider

PC: Far Cry 3/4 (despite the bugs, the games are best FPS I ever played), Black Sails, Grow Home
Console: Forza Horizon / Horizon 2 / Red Dead Redemption / GTA 5

Sim City

Spore

Supreme Commander 2

Any of the Call of Duty games

So much wrong in this thread:

Skyrim - Simplified quest text and RPG elements, baby's first RPG

:D

Skyrim is not perfect but it does the sense of scale and exploration like no other rpg. This is an rpg where most people don't even do the main quest line, they just wander around completing random dungeons and side quests for 200 hrs. The fact that it has so much random content makes it great.

Beyond: Two Souls
Mass Effect 3
Skyrim
And I really wanted to say Last of Us, but graphically it was a let down for me.

WOE0TTr.jpg

Back