What is the largest viable gaming monitor?

Rocksta107

Limp Gawd
I ask this knowing that there are COUNTLESS threads on which monitor is the best for gaming. It seems, though, that you either need to find a Sony FW900 on Ebay, or use a vx922 or something of the like if you really want to game. There seems to be some level of sacrifice at every level, especially 24" and up.

I wouldn't mind trying to get an FW900, but I'm wondering if there is something out there that everyone seems to like without waiting for SED or OLED or something of the like. I understand there will be compromise of some kind at every level, and price isn't too much of an issue.

Largest? Grab a 1080p LCD television and connect it over DVI or HDMI.

For a PC display, the NEC 20WMGX2 has a 6ms response time and an S-IPS panel with a glossy coating, and you can find it for $350+ shipping these days.

Larger than that, you might want to look at the 30" PC monitors from Dell and other places, but you will need SLI to be able to drive their native resolutions. I would prefer a 1080p TV to a large "pc monitor" for that reason.

I play Need For Speed Most Wanted, Quake 3 Arena, and others on my Panasonic 50" 50PHD9UK plasma monitor.

WOW on a 42" LG 1360x768 plasma

best pic my camera can take, trust me it actually looks awesome.

1003180au4.jpg

1003174ama5.jpg

Thanks for all the responses!

I was thinking more along the lines of actual monitors for the most part. I'm planning on waiting for the next gen video cards to come out and getting a top of the line SLI setup. I really want to enjoy some 1920x1200 glory, or even 2560x1600 if possible! It just seems to me that above a 22 inch monitor size the refresh rate is crappy on all but TN panels, which look like crap anyways. Is there something in the 24" range that everyone seems to like?

I love the Soyo Topaz 24" (P-MVA or S-PVA, something like that), but it doesn't have HDMI or whatever the heck that is (not much into movies period, let alone hi-def). I think I've heard that an Acer is pretty good and has HDMI, I'm sure someone will mention it.

And LOL at the FW900 -- my back hurts just thinking about the old days of CRTs, haha.

If you define gaming as a low input lag, no greater than 1920x1200 native resolution and the ability to connect a PS3/XBOX 360 by HDMI the short answer is : nothing will give you that. Maybe the 28" TN panels can achieve something close to that, but for ~$600 i would jump on the 26" ACER: High color gamut, HDCP, low input lag and VA panel...it is a hard choice anyway. LG HDTVs have IPS panels...google it:rolleyes:. It all depends on your budget: with >$1000 go for the Dell 30" and use a VIVO card to connect videogames.

yeah i'd definitely look into LG 1080p's. there's always the Westy 37" as well.

I ask this knowing that there are COUNTLESS threads on which monitor is the best for gaming. It seems, though, that you either need to find a Sony FW900 on Ebay, or use a vx922 or something of the like if you really want to game. There seems to be some level of sacrifice at every level, especially 24" and up.

I wouldn't mind trying to get an FW900, but I'm wondering if there is something out there that everyone seems to like without waiting for SED or OLED or something of the like. I understand there will be compromise of some kind at every level, and price isn't too much of an issue.

'nuff said:cool:

[/end thread]:D

the only downfall to the FW900 is its age, the last ones were made in '03 unfortunately. mine was made in '01 and its still going strong, i guess i got really lucky and got one that wasn't used and abused. it is THE ultimate gaming monitor, hands down.

for LCD's its a give/take situation, you sacrifice colors/angles for speed and vice versa. its very hard to find a happy medium with lcd's.

Back