• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What is the difference between 965 and 975?

jebo_4jc said:
Do we know?

ICH8 on 965 (6 SATA, NO IDE) ICH7 On 975 (4 SATA, HAS IDE)

They have some other differences not sure how much i can say though....

965 also has DDR800 support and may, or may not go to 1333 FSB (Not 100% on this) but I have heard that later skus of 975 WILL support 1333.

Basically 965 is going to be the "value" board whereas 975 was the previous generations "performance" board. I know.. the numbers are all fucked up. LOL....
 
Well its like this...

i975
Then
Q965

So its not really the same... I dunno lol

Anyway, why couldnt it just be the i1000? I have been waiting for this forever.

There shouldnt be too much more differences other than the southbridge and the conroe support.
 
USMC2Hard4U said:
There shouldnt be too much more differences other than the southbridge and the conroe support.

A) 975 supports conroe and B) 965 is a totally different chipset (north AND southbridge) Also... I don't believe that you get dual graphics with 965, at least I haven't seen it on the pre-production intel boards.
 
Well if all this is true, it looks like I'll be waiting for a Conroe compatible 975 board.

Funny thought: I always thought my next upgrade would be AMD.
 
jebo_4jc said:
Funny thought: I always thought my next upgrade would be AMD.
So true, for a little over a year now, I've been contemplating upgrading to an AMD. Now when the time has come to actually get a new rig, it will be Intel again.
 
tys90 said:
Now when the time has come to actually get a new rig, it will be Intel again.

As well it should always be. :D You should have never even suggested to yourself running an AMD system. :D
 
Poncho said:
As well it should always be. :D You should have never even suggested to yourself running an AMD system. :D
Yeah what was I thinking.....with that whole better performance for a lower price for like 2 years thing.....:cool:
 
I have been sitting here for a month now with ALL my new PC parts minus the motherboard and CPU because I cannot seem to find a rev 304 Intel D975XBX and a C1 stepping Pentium D.

I wish these online retailers would advertise and/or physically look on the retail box for the revision numbers.... *sigh*
 
mike_j_johnson said:
I have been sitting here for a month now with ALL my new PC parts minus the motherboard and CPU because I cannot seem to find a rev 304 Intel D975XBX and a C1 stepping Pentium D.

I wish these online retailers would advertise and/or physically look on the retail box for the revision numbers.... *sigh*
I think you can get a rev 304 badaxehere
GL with the cpu though.
 
I have never bought an Intel M/B but the 975x Badass is on my short list . I have to see what Abit does first.
 
Poncho said:
ICH8 on 965 (6 SATA, NO IDE) ICH7 On 975 (4 SATA, HAS IDE)

They have some other differences not sure how much i can say though....

965 also has DDR800 support and may, or may not go to 1333 FSB (Not 100% on this) but I have heard that later skus of 975 WILL support 1333.

Basically 965 is going to be the "value" board whereas 975 was the previous generations "performance" board. I know.. the numbers are all fucked up. LOL....

no ide channels what about CD drives? lol does intel think im going to buy new drives or something
 
brighton said:
no ide channels what about CD drives? lol does intel think im going to buy new drives or something

I'm willing to bet that we'll see a mass of SATA optical drives hit the market when these motherboards finally are released. They are supposed to be released this quater.
 
brighton said:
no ide channels what about CD drives? lol does intel think im going to buy new drives or something

I am and I think Sata is the only way to fly . Better cable management . Hot swap and just a better solution.

If you upgrade wouldn't it be wiser to either sell your old system or use it for web browsing.
 
brighton said:
no ide channels what about CD drives? lol does intel think im going to buy new drives or something

Well... I would imagine that there will still be IDE, though only through a contoller chip. The point was the difference between ICH7 and 8. I can't see them just getting rid of IDE like that with little to no SATA optical drives on the market.
 
so what is the point of the differences between the north and south bridges on the 975 and 965?
 
Back
Top