What is the current best setup for Nvidia Surround?

RangerXML

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm about to buy two more matching 1080p 120hz monitors to go with my current monitor, I want to run an Nvidia Surround for my gaming. I do not run 3D a lot, but I would enjoy the 3 monitor experience. I am currently on a GTX480 and am looking at my options, and they are as follows, and cheapest a second 480, next 2x GTX660ti, a single GTX680, 2x GTX680 or a single GTX Titan (can't wait for reviews in next couple of days). The GTX690 is not an option and I am not a fan of ATI (generally speaking also not an SLI fan). So I want some general input, excluding the "avoid surround it sux" comments.

I'm about to buy two more matching 1080p 120hz monitors to go with my current monitor, I want to run an Nvidia Surround for my gaming. I do not run 3D a lot, but I would enjoy the 3 monitor experience. I am currently on a GTX480 and am looking at my options, and they are as follows, and cheapest a second 480, next 2x GTX660ti, a single GTX680, 2x GTX680 or a single GTX Titan (can't wait for reviews in next couple of days). The GTX690 is not an option and I am not a fan of ATI (generally speaking also not an SLI fan). So I want some general input, excluding the "avoid surround it sux" comments.

I'd go with the 680. But if the Titan is reasonably priced, going from a 480 to a Titan would be nice.

What games do you play and do you need to have all details cranked up? I'm running a 690 and have been satisfied with its performance in many surround games. I would think sli 660ti's is the lowest you want to go.

I play BF3, COD series, Guild Wars 2, Star Trek Online and Borderlands 2 mainly. The reason I want to avoid the 690 is mainly that Nvidia's support for dual cards hasn't been too stellar. If the Titan turns out to have a reasonable price versus 2x 680 I might be tempted to get all over that.

My experience with the 690s have been much better than the 7970s (i purchased those right when they came out). BF3 would be the most demanding game out of your list.

Only way to play any of these games decent is with 2 cards. Ideally something 670x2 and up.

If your looking econmical 2x GTX 670 4GB if your going for performance and cost isn't a factor 2x GTX 680 4GB versions :)

I have 2x GTX 670 4GB superclocked... got them both cheap as white box refurbs .. my resolution is 7680x1440 and these seem to handle almost every game maxed out fine..

--mike

Honestly,

None of the setups you listed above, save for the SLI 680 (or possible TITAN depending on how well it overclocks), will have anywhere near the power to run 5760x1080p resolution - not to mention that if you want to run at 120fps, you will have to lower image quality quite a bit.

It does depend on the game for sure (CoD v. BF3), but that's basically the gist - coming from someone who also has 120hz monitors with 680's in SLI.

Back