• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What is the biggest problem with this computer?

merc141

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2007
Messages
194
My Mom desperately needs a new computer. Currently she has an old Pentium 4, 2 GHz, I am not even sure if she has more than 256 MB of RAM. She mainly browses the web, plays some puzzle games and she needs to do the billing for her company. When I visit you can't use it, it takes 20 minutes to boot up. Anyways I recommended this for her:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...85&cm_sp=NotebookDeal-_-83-114-085-_-09172010

What do you guys think? I was worried that if the motherboard went it would be tough to replace. I just want to know if something goes wrong, that it would be feasible to replace any part. Thanks in advance.
 
The only real hard part to replace would be the PSU as it probably uses one of those slim form factors for a PSU. Could be flexATX, TFX, 1U or even proprietary sized. Everything else should be fairly easy to replace.
 
The only real hard part to replace would be the PSU as it probably uses one of those slim form factors for a PSU. Could be flexATX, TFX, 1U or even proprietary sized. Everything else should be fairly easy to replace.

I dissagree, I had a client one time that had a HP slimline, and the PSU went on it..all I did was lookup the model number on a google product search, and PSUs from trusted brands (I bought her a Sparkle) came up with models that were *known* replacements (direct drop ins) for her stock one.

The issue I see with that emachienes is inferior cooling for a long life span (think capacitor lifespan), and inferior parts (think cheap components), such as cheap caps on the motherboard and PSU.

Remember the same slimline I was talking about? I have it's original motherboard in my closet right now. A cap on the motherboard was also blown and instead of taking the time to replace the cap (customers choice), I had to order a new motherboard for her. This is on a Athlon X2 3800+ machine that came with windows Vista..so were not talking ancient either.

Now this was HP, and I expect better quality out of HP than emachines..so best of luck saving a hundred bucks or so when you could build a PC that would last 2x as long

(IMHO)
 
I dissagree, I had a client one time that had a HP slimline, and the PSU went on it..all I did was lookup the model number on a google product search, and PSUs from trusted brands (I bought her a Sparkle) came up with models that were *known* replacements (direct drop ins) for her stock one.
Meh. Your experience differs from mine then.
 
If you are going cheap you can't beat a prebuilt once you include the price of windows. That pc doesn't look half bad I bet it will serve her well for what she does. My bet is that the psu will go before anything else but you can probably get a replacement off of newegg that will fit. Most prebuilt's use some kind of a standardized part now days, but every once and while you run into proprietary stuff. Judging by the pictures the mobo is itx, and you could use one of these psu's as a replacement. But I can't guarantee that.
 
I bought a similar machine to this one for my mom, although the one I bought was an Acer (But Acer owns eMachines anyways). Other than concerns about the PSU, I have no complaints at all about that computer.
 
Back
Top