What is the best Version of Linux 4 PowerUsers(2019)?

LaCuNa

Limp Gawd
Hey guys WaSSuP

What is the best version of Linux for gaming/power use as of 2019? :D

c wat I did thar??

LoL

thnx!

For most anything related to gaming (i.e., Steam), probably Ubuntu.

As for "power use", basically any distro is fine. Find the one with the apps, desktop environment, package management, etc. that you like best.

Whatever one you want to use. There is no best version because if there truly was, the community would kill it to keep it from taking over.

Whatever one you want to use. There is no best version because if there truly was, the community would kill it to keep it from taking over.

Which is the whole point of open source....

Otherwise we'd all end up with something reminiscent of the mess that's Windows 10. :D

Not really sure about Power User skills. Shouldn't this thread be in the Linux/BSD/Free Systems sub-forum? :D

But, I wouldn't worry about which distro to choose because a person probably won't stick with one. Just pick one and go. Once you're over the learning curve you can become productive. Enjoy your experience.

Not really sure about Power User skills. Shouldn't this thread be in the Linux/BSD/Free Systems sub-forum? :D

But, I wouldn't worry about which distro to choose because a person probably won't stick with one. Just pick one and go. Once you're over the learning curve you can become productive. Enjoy your experience.

Not really wrong. Anyone that sticks with Linux long term will have ended up at least touching more then a few of the major distros. And just like windows to call yourself a "power user" it takes time and patience and reading. Then you get to a point where you arrogantly believe you are a "power user" :) Happens with every OS Windows / Linux even Mac and Android. However operating systems are extremely complicated even the mobile ones... and just when you think you know it all something new will humble you.

Really pick the major that speaks to you... Ubuntu / Debian / Fedora / Suse / Arch / Manjaro and get messing with things. Every Linux user is going to have an opinion about which distro is best... and to be honest they are all best. Linux is for the most part Linux. All the talk from Windows users and extreme part time Linux dabblers about fragmentation are poppy cock. The kernel is the kernel, every major distro follows the FHS (in MS speak there isn't one distro that keeps its registry type data in a different location /usr / etc /.confg they are mandated... no majors mess with the FHS), basically every major distro uses the same init system, there are only really 4 or 5 "Top" desktop environments (Gnome Ubuntu, Gnome Fedora, Gnome Manjaro.... Gnome is Gnome KDE is KDE some defaults may vary but those packages are not different), what will be different is the package managers and a few distro specific tools (things like SUSEs YasT system manager... and Manjaros Kernel selector ect)

My recommendation for everyone is always Manjaro. Its been my go to for everything non server for a long time now. Its based on Arch Linux in the same way the Ubuntu is based on Debian. They take the hot off the presses zero day arch patches... give them a week or two of testing and move stable stuff on, stuff that is proven to be less then stable gets held in general until a few point "bug fix" releases pass. So in general programming frame works and other good stuffs are pushed to the repos 1-2 weeks after they hit GIT. Things like MESA open drivers and Nvidia closed source drivers tend to be more like a month or so out as they get tighter testing. If you really want to fly by your pants you can also switch to the testing repos and basically just run Arch proper with a Manjaro skin. (and although I wouldn't suggest it... in Ubuntu people like to run PPAs to get the latest X or Y bit of software instead of waiting. In Manjaro you can run individual "testing" branch packages... I think it risks to much to shave a few weeks of a driver or something that is being held for a reason but still you can do it all power user like :))

PS Chuklr isn't wrong this seems like its in the wrong sub forum... and it also seems we cover the "what distro is the one" every few months.

Last edited:
I could go into some long monologue about how all distro's are essentially the same, just different versions of common packages at any one moment in time... (the zen of linux), but that is a rant for another day.

What do you class as "power user"? because what it essentially boils down to is 1) What do you want to do yourself 2) what do you want the distro dev's to do for you
If it is absolute control is what you want then its LFS but that is soooooo tedious to install and beyond tedious to manage (installed it once just as a BeenThereDoneThat thing)
If it is high control then Gentoo followed by Archlinux
if it is a degree of control then take your pick from the million and one different bundled distro's out there all making available wide selection of applications as different versions at any given time

Calculate ( https://www.calculate-linux.org/ ) is a nice middleground... it is binary Gentoo so it is accepting what the developers want to make available and their configuration BUT it has a direct path into Gentoo to go full blown control over cflags and USE flags

otherwise just stick with Ubuntu, it is already orders of magnitude more "power" than what Windows advocates would ever believe possible when they consider themselves "power users"

Reactions: ChadD
like this
otherwise just stick with Ubuntu, it is already orders of magnitude more "power" than what Windows advocates would ever believe possible when they consider themselves "power users"

:LOL:
Come on now be nice. It takes a lot of know how to turn off the services your allowed to turn off, hack your activation, break things on purpose so you can control when your system updates... Ok now I'm being mean. I have nothing against windows users... its just funny how for most people windows "power user" seems to involve knowing a ton of tricks to force their OS to do what they want even if the majority of such "tweaks" are EULA breaking hacks.

MS hates consumer level power users more then any mean spirited Linux nerd. :)
/shuffle off

its just funny how for most people windows "power user" seems to involve knowing a ton of tricks to force their OS to do what they want

Getting work done is really the beginning and end of it for me, really. The appropriate OS for various workloads differs, of course, but on the desktop it's no contest: Windows is the 'power' OS, Linux is the 'tinkering' OS, if we're going to generalize.

But generalizations are bad for a reason ;)

Getting work done is really the beginning and end of it for me, really. The appropriate OS for various workloads differs, of course, but on the desktop it's no contest: Windows is the 'power' OS, Linux is the 'tinkering' OS, if we're going to generalize.

Fair. I just can't in good conscious call an OS that requires you to break it to do half the things you want it to do a 'power' anything. Windows is the most locked down OS around (even counting OSx) that you can break it. Doesn't make it a power users OS imo. But ya generalizations are bad and in the end its about being able to do what needs done. Which is why I never touch windows... without breaking it, it doesn't do what needs done. imo

Not the case for me. Windows is the 'dirty OS' while Linux is nice and clean and just lets me get my work done.

There's no way I could ever class Windows as a 'power OS'. More like a 'strip the end user of power OS'. :ROFLMAO:

Once Mac OS X hit 10.6 (10.6.8 to be exact) I found my ‘perfect’ UNIX and never really looked back; I prefer FreeBSD to the Linux ecosystem and OS X (now called macOS) lets me keep a foot in the BSD universe whilst having a relatively decent (to me) UI.

I am trying Manjaro as recommended in the aforementioned distro thread so I can see what the fuss is about. If you're trying to equate power user as someone who uses Linux for a job you can't go too far wrong with the RedHat/CentOS or SuSE distros. If you're more into forensics Kali Linux has a spin for you. If you like installing from source Slackware (the most BSD of the Linux distros) or Gentoo may be more for you.

Once Mac OS X hit 10.6 (10.6.8 to be exact) I found my ‘perfect’ UNIX and never really looked back; I prefer FreeBSD to the Linux ecosystem and OS X (now called macOS) lets me keep a foot in the BSD universe whilst having a relatively decent (to me) UI.

I am trying Manjaro as recommended in the aforementioned distro thread so I can see what the fuss is about. If you're trying to equate power user as someone who uses Linux for a job you can't go too far wrong with the RedHat/CentOS or SuSE distros. If you're more into forensics Kali Linux has a spin for you. If you like installing from source Slackware (the most BSD of the Linux distros) or Gentoo may be more for you.

Bear in mind that like Linux, FreeBSD is not officially UNIX certified either. Realistically speaking, there isn't much of macOS that's directly based on UNIX these days - UNIX certification simply means Apple pays the Open Group to be UNIX certified.

As a macOS user, my Linux UI is almost identical, if not better, than my macOS UI.

My preference for FreeBSD isn't that it's a UNIX; it's that it's its own spin. If someone uses Linux, you're never using just the kernel; you're using a distro that happens to be wrapped around a Linux kernel. When you use FreeBSD, you're using FreeBSD, kernel plus world. When I started using Linux (which predated my usage of FreeBSD) I used Slackware.

While I know that Mac OS X is only tangentially related to FreeBSD (I was talking with Jordan Hubbard before he left the FreeBSD project to go work for Apple and its Mac OS X project) I prefer the spit and polish of OS X and its integration into the print publishing world (where I've spent almost two decades of my professional career) and now the video publishing world (where I've spent the better part of a decade of my professional career).

Last edited:
My preference for FreeBSD isn't that it's a UNIX; it's that it's its own spin. If someone uses Linux, you're never using just the kernel; you're using a distro that happens to be wrapped around a Linux kernel. When you use FreeBSD, you're using FreeBSD, kernel plus world. When I started using Linux (which predated my usage of FreeBSD) I used Slackware.

While I know that Mac OS X is only tangentially related to FreeBSD (I was talking with Jordan Hubbard before he left the FreeBSD project to go work for Apple and its Mac OS X project) I prefer the spit and polish of OS X and its integration into the print publishing world (where I've spend almost two decades of my professional career) and now the video publishing world (where I've spent the better part of a decade of my professional career).

The only real difference between FreeBSD and Linux is the fact that Linux is technically a Kernel and Drivers, where as FreeBSD is a Kernel, drivers and Userland with associated utilities. I actually prefer the freedom of Linux being just a kernel and drivers as opposed to a complete packaged release, but each to their own.

As to the polish of macOS, I have more issues with macOS than Linux. In fact I use Linux to overcome one particular shortcoming of macOS since APFS was released and that is to mount and read HFS/HFS+ file systems - Since the release of Sierra (possibly High Sierra?) both my MacBook Pro and my desktop Mac will not mount and read HFS/HFS+ file systems.

In fact Linux is actually better at reading dirty HFS/HFS+ file systems than macOS!

The other thing is, even macOS can't touch the Linux updating system. The Linux updating system is as perfect as you'll get, and I refuse to support that T2 coprocessor. Essentially, I just keep my Mac's around now to fix other people's Macs, even if Linux seems to be doing a better job at doing just that.

DaVinci Resolve is available under Linux, I personally see them becoming a bigger player than Adobe in the future. Adobe's running on outdated legacy code with management still stuck in the early 2000's.

DaVinci Resolve is available under Linux, I personally see them becoming a bigger player than Adobe in the future. Adobe's running on outdated legacy code with management still stuck in the early 2000's.

Thanks for this recommendation. I'll compare it against Premiere Pro and Avid Media Composer.

Back