What is the Best Overall Antivirus/AntiSpyware Bundle for 2009?

Rockjay420

Gawd
Just would like your thoughts on this, I'm a small computer repair business owner. I usually sell my customers Webroot Spysweeper w/anti virus, because its does the job very well, without slowing down the computer like norton, but I would like to know if there's something better.

www.av-comparatives.org

You'll find Avira, Eset, and Kaspersky consistently at the top of the list.

No overall "bundle" though..that's antivirus. They do "OK" against ad/spyware..but you really need another product.

Adaware, SuperAntispyware, and MalwareBytes.

I like Avira Anti-Vir and ESET NOD32. For the spyware nothing seems to beat SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes. I do use Spybot S&D for the innoculations or whatever they call them, does seem to do a fairly decent job at removing stuff, too.

Does kaspersky take very many resources/background processes? I'm a firm believer that malware slows down your system, the antivirus should not.

Kaspersky AntiVirus 2009 runs great on the many systems I've run it on,

like the OP i repair PCs and have a 2 tier system, one free, one paid

Free consists of

Avira or avast
and
MalwareBytes

Paid is
Kaspersky Anti-Virus
MalwareBytes
and I throw in some free services like running HijackThis, PerfectDisk, and some other things

I absolutely love NOD32.

I used AVG and Ewido Anti-spyware (before AVG bought them out) for years, and with each release it got more and more bloated... taking up more resources... and finally got to the point where I wouldn't even bother using it anymore because of this.

Someone suggested NOD32... I was so impressed that I bought a licence that day and have been using it ever since. It doesn't seem nearly as paranoid as AVG was (false positives) and it has a VERY small footprint. It's a very nice piece of software

ESET NOD32 for Antivirus, but I haven't heard good things about their Smart Security package (which includes firewall,antispam,anti-spyware, etc). Just get the antivirus.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Spybot for anti-spyware.

I agree with the above that the products mentioned are generally the best.

The first person who suggests any Norton product should be immediately hit with the ban-sick by an admin. ;)

The first person who suggests any Norton product should be immediately hit with the ban-sick by an admin. ;)

I'm not going to recommend it, but this year I've stopped bashing it....
Their 2009 product has been totally revamped..it's actually lighter than Esets product now..and for the past couple of years its detection rate has been up top.
av-comparatives.org
and many..many experiences antivirus experts over at wilders security forums will back that.

Now if they fix up their corporate edition package so it's more reliable as far as not doing corrupted installs/upgrades..they'll be back in business.

I agree with the above that the products mentioned are generally the best.

You said it, norton 2009 is actually a huge step over past ones they finally got a clue and trimmed it down.

Norton has always been good at detection, just the program was always bloated and slow.

we use Symantec AV at work and i like it, but it can be a bit of a memory hog and their doscan process can be a real cpu eater!

Their 2009 product has been totally revamped..it's actually lighter than Esets product now..and for the past couple of years its detection rate has been up top.
av-comparatives.org
and many..many experiences antivirus experts over at wilders security forums will back that.

Now if they fix up their corporate edition package so it's more reliable as far as not doing corrupted installs/upgrades..they'll be back in business.

Yes, I read this in PC mag, I have yet to test it out, but it sounds promising. I looked all over for a source for kaspersky here where i live, but the only place is best buy, and after their ridiculous price, there's no room for profit margin. Anyone know a good place to buy software in bulk quantities, cheap?

Yes, I read this in PC mag, I have yet to test it out, but it sounds promising. I looked all over for a source for kaspersky here where i live, but the only place is best buy, and after their ridiculous price, there's no room for profit margin. Anyone know a good place to buy software in bulk quantities, cheap?

Since you're a computer repair center...why not sign on board as a reseller for them?

What resources do you have now? CDW? Ingram Micro?

Kaspersky AntiVirus 2009 runs great on the many systems I've run it on,

like the OP i repair PCs and have a 2 tier system, one free, one paid

Free consists of

Avira or avast
and
MalwareBytes

Paid is
Kaspersky Anti-Virus
MalwareBytes
and I throw in some free services like running HijackThis, PerfectDisk, and some other things

The Avira is only free for a month.

Yeah. Avira Antivirus Premium only gives you a 30 day trial, then you would need to buy it for 1 year for about $26 USD. It's pretty nice though, but I'm still trying to figure out how to permanently delete Quarantined items from the computer.

EDIT: Unless you're talking about a "basic" Avira version that's permanently free, but I haven't seen it.

Yeah. Avira Antivirus Premium only gives you a 30 day trial, then you would need to buy it for 1 year for about $26 USD. It's pretty nice though, but I'm still trying to figure out how to permanently delete Quarantined items from the computer.

EDIT: Unless you're talking about a "basic" Avira version that's permanently free, but I haven't seen it.

Oh..yeah, Premium...like many other brands..their full product allows a 30 day trial.

Antivir (Avira) also has an official free version, which lasts...free.
A link right from their main site...when you go to downloads, and select the free one..brings you to here
http://www.free-av.com/

The differences between it and the Premium version is in a graph bottom of this page
http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html
Difference is mainly no web protection, but the free one is still quite a bit better than most other brands.

Free:
Threatfire
Spybot
Avira

They work wonders for free! Actually better than most paid ;-)

Oh..yeah, Premium...like many other brands..their full product allows a 30 day trial.

Antivir (Avira) also has an official free version, which lasts...free.
A link right from their main site...when you go to downloads, and select the free one..brings you to here
http://www.free-av.com/

The differences between it and the Premium version is in a graph bottom of this page
http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html
Difference is mainly no web protection, but the free one is still quite a bit better than most other brands.

Heh. If I'd known that I might have gotten the free Personal version, but no worries.

btw, how do you permanently get rid of quarantined items? I still haven't figured that out.

av-comparatives.org

I can personally confim that,

Just got the Norton 2009 Gamer's Edition

Has a much lighter footprint, only consumes around 6MB in ram, and no decrease in performance in Crysis, or GTA 4 PC Version, both VERY demanding games.

Like 99% of the users here, I was always a anti-norton guy, had always had too many issues with it, form the app totally locking up, too it making the computer randomly shutdown and restart for no reason whatsoever
I honestly think they are starting to turn themselves around..... :D

btw here are my specs,

Intel C2Q 9300
8GB DDR2
Vista Home Premium x64 SP1

The Symantec Corperate is a quality product that requires few resourses. It's apples to oranges when compared to the retail Norton, but not worth it if there's only 1 or 2 computers.

we use Symantec AV at work and i like it, but it can be a bit of a memory hog and their doscan process can be a real cpu eater!

Huh. I never had this problem, and our workstations are old....which version?

The Symantec Corperate is a quality product that requires few resourses. It's apples to oranges when compared to the retail Norton, but not worth it if there's only 1 or 2 computers.

Huh. I never had this problem, and our workstations are old....which version?

Yeesh...I'm so glad we weaned out last client off of Symantec Corp Edition. Ever since version 9.something..it's grown bloated, it misses TONS of stuff, and holy cow the amount of time wasted trying to manually remove it and clean it up when those push install/upgrades fail....I'm so glad to be done with it. I'd been a reseller of that product since version 5.

Their new product, SEP, is an absolute hog. The management interface is horrendous. I had this glorious plan to run it in a vm so I could move it as the underlying hardware changes in future years, but it's completely unusable in that environment.

The client install is 'ok'. But compared to nod32 enterprise...apples to oranges. And nod32 is cheaper. I know there is this huge momentum built up behind symantec, but nod32 is truly the better product in just about every way.

We use Symantec products at work on our servers and I absolutely hate it. We've had more issues with it than anything else.

On the personal side, I use Nod32 and have used Eset's complete package which worked very well.

I've used Symantec in the past but it left a sour taste in my mouth to try it again.

Yeesh...I'm so glad we weaned out last client off of Symantec Corp Edition. Ever since version 9.something..it's grown bloated, it misses TONS of stuff, and holy cow the amount of time wasted trying to manually remove it and clean it up when those push install/upgrades fail....I'm so glad to be done with it. I'd been a reseller of that product since version 5.

Their new product, SEP, is an absolute hog. The management interface is horrendous. I had this glorious plan to run it in a vm so I could move it as the underlying hardware changes in future years, but it's completely unusable in that environment.

The client install is 'ok'. But compared to nod32 enterprise...apples to oranges. And nod32 is cheaper. I know there is this huge momentum built up behind symantec, but nod32 is truly the better product in just about every way.

Heh...no wonder.
Maybe I should have a little talk with management. I think they're about to move from corp.8 to Symantecs newest.

The last two releases of Symantec Endpoint Protection v11 MR3 and MR4 are a LOT better than the initial releases of SEP. It is a lot lighter and catches more things than SAV10.x. It is still not even close to ESET but it is making progress. I still think the "Protection Manager" is a piece of crap and I hate it but that's what a lot of our clients want. They don't want to move away from Symantec even though it's not the better product....

I am just running Nod32 anti-virus portion and the Windows Defender that comes with Vista, I like that nod32 has a small footprint and catches more then what most of the other companies catch. Plus a two year license for two users for like 70 bucks is a good deal.

I am just running Nod32 anti-virus portion and the Windows Defender that comes with Vista, I like that nod32 has a small footprint and catches more then what most of the other companies catch. Plus a two year license for two users for like 70 bucks is a good deal.

You sure about that? http://www.eset.com/purchase/ shows $70 for 2 users for one year, not two. Two years shows for $104.

I <3 Avira Free edition

No reason to even pirate one when avira free works great, doesn't hog resources or hijack your pc, and it's slim and simple.

This website has some info on all the big contenders.
http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

That site is well known to tip their hat to companies that advertise with them. In other words...."biased towards the dollar".

av-comparatives.org is the best antivirus comparison site. Real world testing, and no awards based on the advertising dollar...just the actual true results.

That site is well known to tip their hat to companies that advertise with them. In other words...."biased towards the dollar".

av-comparatives.org is the best antivirus comparison site. Real world testing, and no awards based on the advertising dollar...just the actual true results.

Noted, but I just said it had info. It does show them all (basically) and the top ones seem to be feasible.

Back