What is the Best Free Software To Manage/Fix SSD's ?

abrogard2

n00b
I have this supposed 8 Tera portable SSD gifted to me. I'm currently trying to figure out just how good it is/what it is.

H2testW had it flagged as no good around the 250G mark, I think. I was testing in increments.

But then I was able to go further. For a laugh I attempted a copy of a 10G folder on to it and I was surprised when that proceeded without any hitches.

Then I used H2testW again and it testing a couple of Gigs and said 'fine' !

And again !

So don't know what is going on with it. Seems incredible that it would be 8 Tera - and no brand name!

And every time I try to do a delete or even a copy it tells me the recycle bin on that drive is corrupted. do I want to delete it?

Doesn't matter if I say yes or no, nothing happens. I still always get the same message.

So there. That's all I know.

So I think I could use some good software that can look at this SSD and see what's what with it and can format it (yes, it won't format with windows, either) and whatever.

If I've painted a clear enough picture can anyone suggest some software to me?

Its likely one of those scam drives that is only a small amount of storage with the bios using a fabricated number that isnt real. There are all sorts of these scam drives out there in USB, sata, and NVMe. The one you have has all the signs of being one with just 250 GB actually on the drive. Any time you try to load more it just overwrites when it reaches the end of the real storage and corrupts.

If you are unsure and thing you got a China Special (128MB drive re-prom'd to 8TB) try a utility like FakeFlashTest or H2TestW. Those will at least let you know what you really have, before you waste time testing out the device.

Back