What is better

bernaby

Limp Gawd
What's better, assuming an equal framerate, 1080p at max eye candy or 2k with a few setting reduced.

Your thoughts?

I have 2 gaming rigs, one is displaying to an Acer 27" 16x9 2k 165hz monitor and the other is going to a 35" 21x9 1080p.

I think 2k is better looking but honestly it's hard for me to say that 2K is THAT much better once I'm immersed and gaming on my 1080p ultra wide.

Sorry for being absolutely no help.

I think it mostly depend on screen size.. at 24" 1080P max settings will look better than 27" 1440P with reduced settings (without take in consideration also AA settings) also depend on type of panel, IPS Vs TN both at full settings IPS 1080P will look better than TN 1440P (just in example) so there are many factors beyond just resolution.. I would take any day a high quality 1080P 24" high refresh rate, fast response lower input latency screen over an average quality 27" 1440P one even if both are at maxed settings..

1440p every time because it can resolve finer details than 1080p. Having to reduce some graphics settings will have a much smaller visual effect.

Still using my 27"-IPS Crossover-1440 x2560.(over 6years)...and I still remember how much better it looked coming from an 1080p..

Probably 1440p. Most games look great at High settings and Ultra (while nice) is not necessarily a massive improvement versus the performance cost.

But all things are not equal. 1440p is roughly double the pixels of 1080p, so much more expensive in terms of performance.

Also, if you want to get to high refresh, 1080p models go up to 240Hz (or 200Hz ultrawide), and the rendering is less taxing so you can actually reach those high framerates on the right system.

In my case, I was running triple 1440p Surround for a while, which was amazing (when it worked) but Surround has a lot of problems and one monitor died, so I upgraded to ultrawide.

Even at 2560x1080, I find games are highly playable. Granted, the image fidelity was a downgrade, but it still looks good enough and I can run most games at 166Hz Ultra settings without a problem.

So there are lots of compromises to be made depending on what you are looking for. For you I would look into 1440p high refresh adaptive-sync for the best experience.

I've got both a 1080p and 1440p monitors and I prefer the 1440p. The clarity difference is so obvious even when the 1440p screen is 3" bigger.

And the 144hz rate on the 1440p is a big plus.

1440 is better. Even if you have to drop some of the settings, usually AA, but being higher resolution, AA imo is not much of an issue at 1440 or 4k. Depending on the size of the display & pixel density.

2K looks amazing.

Back in the day, i upgraded to 1440p with the same system, had to drop a couple settings, and still looks better.

only experienced a 2K display for myself this year, and I'm still really excited over the quality increase. Good thing I got adequate hardware to support!

next year hope to budget and get a 4k HDR TV *crossing fingers* and a ps4 pro once they finally go on sale again

Back