What if STEAM went under.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, you are. Try again.

In the US (I'm not from there, but this is a predominantly US site) the production and/or distribution of methods to circumvent DRM is illegal under the DMCA and supersedes the fair use provisions under the same act.

This was upheld in RealNetworks, Inc. v. DVD Copy Control Association, Inc

Nah, you're totally wrong. Try again.

Wait, what were we talking about again? Pointless additions to arguments? :p

no I believe it was some garbage about valve having the right to kill your family, but only sometimes, and sometimes not :rolleyes:

In the US (I'm not from there, but this is a predominantly US site) the production and/or distribution of methods to circumvent DRM is illegal under the DMCA and supersedes the fair use provisions under the same act.

This was upheld in RealNetworks, Inc. v. DVD Copy Control Association, Inc

oh awsome let's quote the dmca now, this broken piece of shit mafiaa bought legislature that nobody understands, but feels the need to parrot whenever they think someone is doing something "illegal". how about we pick a case more current and actually relevant, after the feds finally figured out wtf they were looking at. what kind of law stipulates that it be reviewed and amended every 3 years? a broken one, when they have no idea whether it should have been made at all.

ie. MGE UPS Systems Inc vs Power Maintenance International Inc

where drm cracking falls under fair use, you can't violate the dmca unless the circumvention leads to some sort of copyright infringement. the mpaa/riaa thought they were fucking geniuses, when they somehow slipped in the wording to mean breaking drm = infringment. then the court says no, that's logically impossible, wtf kind of idiot would obey this.

Merely bypassing a technological protection that restricts a user from viewing or using a work is insufficient to trigger the DMCA's anti-circumvention provision. The DMCA prohibits only forms of access that would violate or impinge on the protections that the Copyright Act otherwise affords copyright owners.

http://arstechnica.com/software/news/2010/07/court-breaking-drm-for-a-fair-use-is-legal.ars

phone jailbreaking and dvd css decryption, fair use:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...big-in-drm-ruling-jailbreaks-are-fair-use.ars
http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2010/RM-2008-8.pdf

the fact that realnetworks didn't have the money to outbid the mpaa in this neverending circus has nothing to do with anything, time goes on and after the politician's money has been spent, the govt will eventually realise when they've been fucked over again. case after case will come up with everyday situations that these pathetic dying leeches just don't want to deal with. stay up to date, heaven forbid you do something illegal in america, with licenses to shit you already own.

I agree that the DMCA is garbage (save for the safe-harbor provision), but the MGE case currently only applies to the 5th circuit and according to at least this site, other circuits have disagreed on that point. Also, the DMCA fair-use exemptions currently do not cover cracks to be able to play a game. You also seem to have greater faith than I do in the government to fix copyright law; extensions and greater protections have been the norm for roughly a century now.

This is of course not to say that cracking the DRM games is immoral, just (currently) illegal.

IS NOT!
IS TOO!!!
lol @ the maturity levels :p

Wasn't this already solved like 2 pages ago?

What if we banned everyone who posts off-topic nonsense and shits up the forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back