what html editor do you use

option5

n00b
What programs do you use to make your websites? I heard dreamweaver is good but I dont want to spend 400 bucks on it.

Notepad
cool.gif

I am currently suggesting Notepad++ (more development oriented) and NVU (more design oriented) as great free programs for most things web related. The GIMP or GIMPShop for image creation and manipulation.

I still have copies of Dreamweaver and Photoshop (among a few nifty other things) that were provided through my work at a local development shop. They are the industry standard, and if you can afford them generally worth it for serious work that you make a living from. They are just way over the top expensive (not to mention overkill in most situation) for your general web hobbiest .

I'm doing mostly asp.net related stuff these days, so I use visual studio. When I'm on client-side stuff doing a lot of javascript, I write in aptana.

jedit, small app that also knows php, and possibly some other stuff, though I have jsut used it for php.

if you want to go real hard-core for free, give HTML-Kit a try. it has everything a serious developer will ever need, but it can be very daunting for the absolute beginner.

PHP Designer is also very, very good. Don't be misled by the name, it's an all purpose web editor, not just for PHP.

maw said:
if you want to go real hard-core for free, give PHP Designer is also very, very good. Don't be misled by the name, it's an all purpose web editor, not just for PHP.
Yeah, this is also the one I use. It has a very nice layout for a free editor.

I have been using Microsoft's new editor, Expression. It works great for anything i've needed so far and includes many of the tools and snap-ins from Visual Studio just without the overhead.

Back