What has happened to PC laptops?

now this crap again........

*snip*

so now can we plz stop with the PC laptops are crap as if you are willing to spend decent $$ they are NOT crap.
They are all crap if you want more than 1080 lines of resolution on a screen smaller than 17". Such displays used to be fairly commonplace (as a high end option, but they were available) and they have all disappeared.

^ you are not looking hard enough

I can show you multiple full HD 15.6" machines......or better yet, you can go look for your self.

^ you are not looking hard enough

I can show you multiple full HD 15.6" machines......or better yet, you can go look for your self.
:headdesk:

edit: Forgive my brevity. When I said more than 1080 lines I was referring to the number of horizontal lines. Now if you don't mind, could you please point me to the wealth of 15.6" machines with more than 1080 horizontal lines of pixels?

"Full HD" is marketing speak for "Fuck anyone who remembers 15.6" WUXGA screens." And no, just because some webpages and brochures wrongly call 1920x1080 displays WUXGA doesn't make it so.

Last edited:
^ look harder......you'll find them some even have 1900*1200
You mean the Panasonic Toughbook CF-52? Yes it's a 15.6" PC with 1920x1200, but I did already say that the Apple retina products are out of my price range, so...

If you can show me one PC laptop on the market today (let's say under $1500) with a 15.6" (or smaller) 1920x1200 or higher resolution screen I'll give you an internet cookie. There are none on Newegg, and none on Amazon. Not Sony, Dell, HP, Sager, Falcon Northwest, Asus, etc. If they're out there then you are right, you really do have to look hard. Just link me to one and I'll retract everything I said about the state of the PC laptop market. If it's as easy as you say it shouldn't be too hard. Otherwise you can crawl back under your rock.

We just barely get a laptop that has more then a 1080 screen and all of a sudden 1080 is the worst thing since the ford pinto.

I will say though that I look forward to laptops getting higher rez screens as a whole.

What I hope to see:

768 - $300-$500
1080 - $500-$900
1200 - $900-1400
2440/2600 - $1400 and to the sky.

We just barely get a laptop that has more then a 1080 screen and all of a sudden 1080 is the worst thing since the ford pinto.

I will say though that I look forward to laptops getting higher rez screens as a whole.

What I hope to see:

768 - $300-$500
1080 - $500-$900
1200 - $900-1400
What do you mean "just barely"? 1200 lines has been around for a loooooooong time. Think back to the venerable Toshiba Satellite 5105-S702, reviewed in 2002 (and maybe others before that). Then it disappeared, with Macbooks and the Panasonic Toughbook CF-52 being the only laptops under 17" offering anything with 1200 or more lines of resolutions.

And I'm not saying 1080 is bad. It's just find for lots of things. It sucks ass for spreadsheets, CAD, and lots of other things generally classified as "work". Well maybe sucks ass is a little harsh, but it's awfully frustrating to think that ten years after 1200 line 15" notebooks were introduced, not only do we not have anything better on the market at comparable price points, but we have actually gone backwards.

We have 1920x1200 screens coming out in tablets already, and nobody sells a mainstream laptop with that resolution smaller than 17". It's absolutely crazy.
What I hope to see:

768 - $300-$500
1080 - $500-$900
1200 - $900-1400
That would be wonderful. If one were to extrapolate from the technology on the market 6 years ago, one would reasonably have expected us to be there already - if not even further.

Are there really that many people out there who purchase a laptop for the primary purpose of watching movies?

I keep asking myself this. I really don't see the point of watching movies on tiny screens. The low-end price conscious segment of of the market is driving everything. This segment doesn't care about quality, they only want to kill time.

If nobody has said this. The biggest reason why you see this is the Apple hype machine. To be honest they are fantastic machines but you can get a PC with similar specs for 500 less and will look just as cool.

As somebody touched on earlier in the thread, Apple has a "quality by comparison" presence in large B&M spaces.

As an enthusiast, I know that units like the HP Elitebook and Lenovo T-Series have better build quality, warranty and specs... but the average consumer has no exposure to these devices.

I can't walk into Wal Mart or Best Buy and look at the elitebook.. .but I can certainly look at a macbook. Without anything for comparison, a macbook looks great.... I don't know of a single retail space that markets high-build-quality PC laptops next to macbooks.

As somebody touched on earlier in the thread, Apple has a "quality by comparison" presence in large B&M spaces.

As an enthusiast, I know that units like the HP Elitebook and Lenovo T-Series have better build quality, warranty and specs... but the average consumer has no exposure to these devices.

I can't walk into Wal Mart or Best Buy and look at the elitebook.. .but I can certainly look at a macbook. Without anything for comparison, a macbook looks great.... I don't know of a single retail space that markets high-build-quality PC laptops next to macbooks.

Ding...we have a winner. People shop with their eyes first and touch second. As a FYI..apple has pretty strict requirements on what and what cannot be near their products. No different than Bose. You have to give it to apple....they can charge nearly double for a machine that should maybe command a 25% price advantage and get away with it (at least at the consumer level).

My biggest problem is not really that there is a lack of high resolution screens available on PC computers (I can find a good handful of 1920x1080 laptops and the lack of 1200 doesnt bother me as much, since its an improvement already on most of my laptops).

My biggest problem is that the majority of laptops with high res screens are way too thick and heavy. Or if they come with a 1080 panel, its usually TN. My perfect laptop is exactly what the MBP Retina is: high res, good battery life, and thin and light enough for me to carry in my shoulder bag all day. I change work stations frequently so mobility is a huge asset to me, but I am used to my triple monitor set up at home, so a high res screen is a huge plus. And I don't want 1080 on a 13 inch panel, I want it on a 15 inch one. So really tough to find this. The Samsung Series 9 15 inch would have been awesome, but its crappy panel just killed it for me.

But guess what? I found the Sony VAIO S15 and its perfect to me! I wish the standard battery was as good as the one in the MBP Retina, and that it had higher res, but TBH 1920x1080 on a 15 inch panel is perfect. And its IPS.

What does this mean to me? It means to me that somebody is finally listening and there's innovation from the crappy 15 inch mainstream laptops that are all over the place. I'm eager enough to buy the s15 now, and its incredibly low price is a huuuge plus to me.

This also means to me that we are going to see an awesome push from PC makers to make similar computers like the S15 or the MBP Retina. I'm not going to argue whether there are tons of MBPr equivalents available in the PC camp. I'm just happy theres a few that are definitely on their way to be my dream laptop.

Back