What happens when I don't have to finish modding (watercooled cardboard box)

Petra

Gawd
You guys'll probably find this one amusing... First, a bit of background, though...

I've been planning on doing a nice bit of modding to a Sonata2 to use as a display machine; however, due to the amount of modding and painting involved, it would likely take me about two weeks from start to finish. Unfortunately, I didn't have that kind of time available before a little 'opening party' that was thrown today... so... I decided to use a cardboard box instead. :D

It was actually surprisingly difficult to get things mounted in there...then again, I don't normally build computers into cardboard boxes :rolleyes:. I have some better photos which I can post tomorrow.... Also, all of the tubing and stuff was cut for the Sonata, so it's kinda crazy in there (with a little extra wire mess thrown in for added ghettoness).

Specs:
A64 3000+ Venice (haven't had time to overclock yet... :( )
1GB Crucial Ballistix PC-3200 (borrowed from rig in sig)
DFI LP NF4 Ultra-D
MSI GF6600GT
Water Cooling: Silverprop Cyclone EvolutionSE (CPU), Silverprop Cyclone FusionHL (GPU), BIP2, Swiftech MCP655, and 7/16" ID Tygon tubing.

brightNoLights.jpg

brightLights.jpg

dark.jpg

inside.jpg

insideClose.jpg

Sweet! :p I hope that thing never springs a leak! haha

Is that a BTX case? :D

magnetik said:
Sweet! :p I hope that thing never springs a leak! haha

Is that a BTX case? :D

Not exactly... lol (unless BTX requires you to plug power into the front of the case :p )

Actually, it was the only place I could put the PSU where the ATX connector would still reach (I "borrowed" the PSU from the Sonata case that I'm working on...and the wires are rather short)

lol, I was going to do the same thing. I want to mod my regular case, but I can't live without my pc! :D so how did you mount the motherboard?

...what if the screws rip out of the cardboard? Like, while you're away? :eek:

and no duct tape?

I used screws from the Sonata and packing tape to mount everything. For the motherboard, specifically, I used the Sonata's long HDD screws (with sort of a flange/washer thing built in) pushed through the back of the box, with an upside-down standoff screwed into that (threaded end sticking through motherboard mounting holes), and then screwed another upside-down standoff onto the first to secure the motherboard. It's kinda weird but seems to work fine.

...sadly, I didn't have any duct tape sitting around...just packing tape :rolleyes:

As for the box itself... I just grabbed one of the boxes that we use for shipping orders. So, yeah, not as cool as a free box but close enough ;)

agreed. It looks almost too good to be ghetto. (beats a beige case any day)

Not a straight cut anywhere.... and the penguin sticker..... I give it 4.5 foodstamps :D

Spaceninja said:
Not a straight cut anywhere.... and the penguin sticker..... I give it 4.5 foodstamps :D

w00t! foodstamps! :D

At least I'm a lot better with a dremel than I am with a dull box cutter...

Anyway, here are the rest of the pictures I have for this thing...

Fun with the fish-eye lens...
insideFish.jpg

The wall prints are on loan from my parent's photography studio, incase you were wondering... they're really not "normal" office decoration. :rolleyes: ...and the default WinXP background is there because I had just installed the OS the night before. Yay for procrastination... ;)
outsideFish.jpg

My kid brother playing NFS:MW
brianComp.jpg

Those Plantronics behind the neck head phones were very uncomfortable for me.
If your a girl...nice box, and and your case is cool too. :p

im not sure if petra is a guy or a girls name, but if the person who did the writing on it is the same as the person who built it, its gotta be a dude. No freaking way a chick's handwriting that sloppy.

*edit unless the handwriting is done like that on purpose to further the 'ghetto' mod

Slowly but surely, the world is coming to an end. Ladies and gentlemen, this is only the start.

On a more serious note however, very ghetto and cool (no pun intended).

strikeout said:
im not sure if petra is a guy or a girls name, but if the person who did the writing on it is the same as the person who built it, its gotta be a dude. No freaking way a chick's handwriting that sloppy.

*edit unless the handwriting is done like that on purpose to further the 'ghetto' mod
Technically, Petra is the feminine form of the name Peter...and, as far as it pertains to Romanian culture, I believe it means 'girl of stone' or something like that, IIRC... (memory is a little hazy)... I suppose that it could be a guy's name, though I have yet to meet one named such. but, yeah... the handwriting is a dead giveaway. :rolleyes: So, yes, to clear things up for those who don't know already from other threads (though I don't appear that often), I am a guy...and, no, my name isn't Petra....nor am I Romanian :p

Though, on a more positive note...for anyone who's interested, I do have quite a few more of those Silverprop blocks... :D

hmmm... and I have an old P3 sitting around... prehaps I should make a CPU block for it (slot P3) and stick it into a cardboard box once I move these parts into that Sonata case...if I ever finish it

strikeout said:
Thanks for the compliment ^_^

Oh, and nice mod. Great job making a cardboard case not look ghetto ^_-

Question: how did you mount the CD-ROM drive?

Elledan said:
Thanks for the compliment ^_^

Oh, and nice mod. Great job making a cardboard case not look ghetto ^_-

Question: how did you mount the CD-ROM drive?
The DVD-ROM? Well, I just cut a hole for it, stuck it in there, and secured it with huge amounts of packing tape :D

...I also wedged a screw in the upper right corner of the drive because it was starting to fall through the hole, back into the case.

Petra said:
The DVD-ROM? Well, I just cut a hole for it, stuck it in there, and secured it with huge amounts of packing tape :D

...I also wedged a screw in the upper right corner of the drive because it was starting to fall through the hole, back into the case.
That does it.

This mod is most definitely ghetto ^_-

Back