What happens to RAID 0 array created by windows 7 if OS fails?

lupo

Weaksauce
As the title said, What happens to RAID 0 array created by windows 7 if OS fails? I have two 100GB SSD drives that I am really only using one of and would like to create a RAID 0 array. Due to the other RAID controllers and PCI-E SSD drives I have in the computer, I can not enable the on board raid of the motherboard. (If I do, the PCI-E SSD disappears from boot options) I was thinking of using windows 7 to create the array. How is the performance of a Os created RAID 0? Also, if the OS fails and has to be reinstalled, what happens to the array? Will it be seen by the new OS?

RAID drives are dynamic, which means that once created, all raid configuration data is on the drives.

You should be able to reinstall the OS and recreate the array and have all of the data still there.

You will have to Re-install Windows 7 after creating the array.

Here's a couple scenario's along with explanations, based on what I am understanding of your question(s).

If you are currently booting to one of your SSD's you cannot change this to a Raid 0.

Once you have this setup, and are running both SSD's in RAID Zero to act as 1 drive, IF one of the drives fails you will loose all your data. No recovery, or very difficult.

In windows you can create "Spanned", "Stripped", or "Mirrored" Volumes, this is slightly different than stripping (Raid 0) or Mirroring (Raid 1) 2 disk drives.

Software Raid will take some performance away from your overall OS.

Since you are using an SSD's (I'm assuming its your boot drive) there is really no need to stripe them together, there is very little gained by doing so. Unless you are running heavy Database loads or Heavy Disk I/O calculations it is over kill.

If I understand what your doing now, you are currently booting to one of the SSD's and you want to add the second one as a stripe to the original? That can't be done. You could create a second volume on your boot SSD and stripe the volume over onto the second SSD. Not advisable as you have probably already noticed living on a 100GB SSD as your boot drive is a little tight.

If you want the 2 drives working as 1 in a stripe, your best bet is to SAVE YOUR DOCUMENTS AND ANY IMPORTANT FILES then reconfigure the Hard Drive controller for Raid and build it that way.

You will have way less of a performance hit than doing anything via software and it will be WAY easier to live with.

Make sure to have your motherboards Raid drivers available when your installing Windows, although, Windows 7 is pretty good with the built in ones as they are usually Intel.

Now if you are creating this array as a DATA only Array, and are booting to a 3rd separate drive and then the OS Drive Fails, your data on the Array should be untouched and once you re-install your OS, the Data array should be available and readable.

Windows 7 is pretty good with the built in ones as they are usually Intel.
Windows has always come with MS drivers.

I always use the Intel drivers.

This was a pair of data drives that I have, not the boot drive. I was looking to give it some redundancy, but since I can't use the month board raid controller due to all the RAID cards and the PCI-E SSD card I have as I my boot drive, my bios will not allow me to enable the on board RAID configuration. My only other option is to use windows to build the mirrored array. I just wanted to be sure if the OS took a dive i would be able to recover the mirrored array once I reinstalled the OS. if you are sure there will be no problems, I will proceed with this course of action. I just wanted to be sure.

now that you know the full situation, are you still sure there will be no problems recovering the mirrored array build by the OS if the OS fails and needs to be reinstalled.

Carl

It really doesn't sound like you know what's going on.

What are you trying to do?

RAID of any type is NOT a back-up.

This was a pair of data drives that I have, not the boot drive. I was looking to give it some redundancy, but since I can't use the month board raid controller due to all the RAID cards and the PCI-E SSD card I have as I my boot drive, my bios will not allow me to enable the on board RAID configuration. My only other option is to use windows to build the mirrored array. I just wanted to be sure if the OS took a dive i would be able to recover the mirrored array once I re-installed the OS. if you are sure there will be no problems, I will proceed with this course of action. I just wanted to be sure.

now that you know the full situation, are you still sure there will be no problems recovering the mirrored array build by the OS if the OS fails and needs to be re-installed.

Carl

If the Windows built mirror is on separate disks to your OS disk, then yes, you should be able to re-install your OS on your OS disk and then read the mirror on the other disks. Can I guarantee this? absolutely not, I've never done it, but the theory seems reasonable.

Like Old Hippie says by creating this array or ANY array you are NOT creating a backup.

Back