What happened to 4gb 5970 XFX card?

shawnoen

[H]ard|Gawd
Last I heard they were to be available at the end of April? I saw the one on ebay that looked ready to go and was auctioned off as part of the "theft" marketing promotion.

Still coming?

The ghost card. It's urban legend. Few have seen it and even fewer have lived to tell about it.

Wow! A 4 GB 5970? How much is that going to cost?

Reports have it priced at a cool $1000. That's really expensive, but it's going to come factory overclocked at 900mhz or something like that along with having Eyefinity6 outputs and the 4GB of GDDR5.

Reports have it priced at a cool $1000. That's really expensive, but it's going to come factory overclocked at 900mhz or something like that along with having Eyefinity6 outputs and the 4GB of GDDR5.

1000 bucks aint all to bad when you consider 2 5870 2GB cards cost 1000 dollars.. not to mention the 5970 might be overclocked to 900mhz.. now if only i had 1000 dollars to afford one :(

Im still waiting for them too. Man, the Sapphire Toxic 4GB 5970 is beastly. Im surprised there hasnt been anything new released about these cards. What are they waiting for ?

It's definitely worth $1000 if you are going with an eyefinity setup.

They are doing you a favor, just pick up a single 5870 2gb card and call it a day. Save yourself $500 and about $6,000 in aggravation.

yup.. though this delay is making me wonder if they scrapped the card and are waiting for the refresh.. so who knows..

Yep you beat me to it DA****. I began reading the thread and was going to post it. However, there were 2 offerings a couple of days ago. Only the Sapphire is up now. I forgot who the other company was but the Sapphire was the cheaper of the 2.

Apparently resale value for any 5970 is <= 500 at this point, I'm sure they don't want to release this card as it still loses to 2 480s.

will that extra memory be worth using on normal monitors 25" and under ?
to get your monies worth u better have 80" monitor right ?

Seeing as two 5870 2gb cards really don't show an advantage over two 1gb cards in eyefinity resolutions, I wouldn't really expect more from these 4gb 5970s.

will that extra memory be worth using on normal monitors 25" and under ?
to get your monies worth u better have 80" monitor right ?

no its not worth it for resolutions under 2560x1600.. but what this card is king is eyefinity with triple 2560x1600 displays..

Apparently resale value for any 5970 is <= 500 at this point, I'm sure they don't want to release this card as it still loses to 2 480s.

the point here is that it is a single card, its suppose to be the fastest single card. not worth it to most people and as far as I know just bragging rights. what I am waiting for is a pair of uncrippled GF104 on a single card. would like to see that. but comparing this to a pair of 480GTX is missing the point

as for why they don't make many, well out side of bragging rights why would people buy them?

I wouldn't doubt it. Imo their support is steadily getting slower / worse in the last year that I've had to deal with it. If they do bail off of the lifetime I think their sales are going to tank, that's pretty much the only reason people buy XFX Ati cards, especially after they've really cut down on the non-reference cards yet sell them for the same price.

Huh, I wonder if that's wrong, or if this is the beginning of the end of double-lifetime?

It's a custom card - something XFX is not used to doing. Either way, there will probably be no "performance equivilent" (like the HD4890-->HD5830), so XFX won't try to keep too many of these in stock, and won't even bother trying to replace them later on (sort of like GTX285 Classified from eVGA, or GTX275 Physx Co-Op).

It's a custom card - something XFX is not used to doing. Either way, there will probably be no "performance equivilent" (like the HD4890-->HD5830), so XFX won't try to keep too many of these in stock, and won't even bother trying to replace them later on (sort of like GTX285 Classified from eVGA, or GTX275 Physx Co-Op).

Well, a good replacement would be a 6xxx anyway...

That's why I don't understand the lack of double-life... ATi will have a single card out that can beat this custom card soon enough... Even if not the next round for the holidays, at least by the round after that...

Which is also why I don't quite understand forking over $1K+ for it... Won't be long before the 6870 etc are out, and for probably half the price...

If you're willing to fork over that dough, wouldn't a mobo that does SLI/tri-SLI be better? Then buy three 5870s...

Back