What generation of desktop CPU does your most modern one use?

Most modern desktop CPU you own

• Total voters

pxc

Extremely [H]
Just curious...

and yes, I did leave out SB on purpose because it would get more votes than actual owners of those chips here. :p

Count Athlon II with the Phenom I/II option. I forgot to lump those 3 together.

C2Q here, although it does very well with everything I can throw at it, I am greedy for blazing fast video encoding. Looks like this will be the year to re-purpose this, bite the bullet and build something faster.

It's kind of funny that you decided to omit Sandy Bridge from the poll options...

You see, up until 9am this morning, the most recent desktop CPU that I own would have been the one in my desktop, an Opteron 165 running at 2.97 GHz, but I happened to mention how I was planning on building a Sandy Bridge rig to the clerk at my local computer store and I am now the proud owner of an i7-2600K. :D

... Now I just need to find a good motherboard for it, all they had were P67A-UD3 and -UD4s and P8P67Pros. :(

Desktop C2Q Q8200
Laptop i5-540M
Mobo w/o CPU - GA-P67A-UD4 awaiting a 2500K

It's kind of funny that you decided to omit Sandy Bridge from the poll options...

You see, up until 9am this morning, the most recent desktop CPU that I own would have been the one in my desktop, an Opteron 165 running at 2.97 GHz, but I happened to mention how I was planning on building a Sandy Bridge rig to the clerk at my local computer store and I am now the proud owner of an i7-2600K. :D

... Now I just need to find a good motherboard for it, all they had were P67A-UD3 and -UD4s and P8P67Pros. :(
If you can get a 2500K I'll pay for you to overnight it to me.

Ha, awesome!

I just sold my E8400 to solidify my transition to Sandy Bridge.

Best regards,
-boggsie

I tried that at my local Micro Center and the CPU desk clerk told me I should check back around the 5th; "they shouldn't be available for retail until the 9th, so we won't advertise until then, but as soon as CES opens, I imagine that we'll be able to sell one here or there wiithout raising too many eyebrows."

My rig is all set. I went with an Asus P8P67 Pro, which I have mounted with all my new parts for this build ...

Best regards,
-boggsie

A week ago I replaced my i7 920 with an i7 965 Extreme Edition. Quite satisfied with the overclocking results. :)

A week ago I replaced my i7 920 with an i7 965 Extreme Edition. Quite satisfied with the overclocking results. :)

Nice... I would have waited for Sandy Bridge though since most 2500K/2600K are hitting 5ghz+ as well as IPC improvements from early retail units. I've been tempted to upgrade my 920 to something else in that line but never did... now the obvious move for me is to a 2600K.

Lol I'm the one still stuck on a K7 desktop. It's an Athlon XP 3200+ .... My other desktop that I handed down to my lil bro is based on a XP 2500+.

Can't wait for sandy bridge. Yes, I AM actually upgrading this time.

Btw, why is there no official [H] preview thread regarding the upcoming sandy bridges, like how there are a couple preview threads by Kyle in the AMD cpus sub-forum?

I had 2 i7 machines before but now my desktop is a Celeron 420.

whoa, way too Intel favored results.

If this poll was in the AMD cpu forum I would imagine different results.

I'm on a 4 year old E6600 btw

whoa, way too Intel favored results.

If this poll was in the AMD cpu forum I would imagine different results.

I'm on a 4 year old E6600 btw

I'd say it also partially has to do with the relative speed of the Intel CPU's lately compared to AMD's offerings.

Phenom II here, I am pretty much an AMD guy all the PCs in my house are AMD.

I used to be for over 8 years and 10+ CPUS at home (and 50 to 100 at work) but AMD has been behind the performance curve for my last two home computer purchases. I mean in April of 2010, AMD did not have a single CPU for sale that was as fast as the i7 920. And in November of 2008 AMD did not have a single CPU as fast as the Q9550. I suspect starting in a few weeks and for the next 4 months AMD will have nothing to match the i5 2500 let alone the i7 2600K.

I guess the Core i5 in my server is technically the most "modern" but the Q9650 in my main desktop rig is quite clearly the faster of the two.

Back