What games would you like to see tested in an upcoming comparison article

I am purposeful putting this in the video card section.

We have another comparison in the works and want to see what new games you guys would like to see tested in it, we've done BC2, AvP and Metro to death. So now we are going to do something different. We are going to include Mafia II... other than that, what other games would you guys like to see?

"Serious Sam the second encounter hd"

I'd like to have Just Cause 2 included in more reviews. It is DX10 at least, and is relatively new with all those Nvidia features too.

More non-FPS games would be good too. Starcraft 2 and Supreme Commander 2 or similar.

i would like to see Americas Army 3.0 tested. its a free game that has good graphics and good game play. the fact that its free and easily accessible to all is a good reason to use it.

SC2
ME2

The WoW suggestion probably would just be interesting period because there is such a large fanbase for that game.

Id like to see that too. Especially what cards give the best Points/w or Points/$ or whatever. Though the AMD client is still crappy as far as I've heard

I couldn't agree with this more --particularly when that new core comes out, based on that newer more ATI-friendly code.

And yeah WoW. I'm not a WoW player anymore but it is amazing to me that Blizzard, who I thought (right up until SC2) had some of the best coders in the world, could turn what is a relatively graphically simplistic game into an iTunes or a GTA IV. Code bloat at its bloody finest. I'd love to see how the more modern hardware powers through that.

so yeah:
PPD,
WoW,
and even SC2 --don't let these cards off easy. Play Desert Strike or something that really puts the card into overdrive.

As previously stated

1. Crysis
- not only is this game still extremely gpu demanding, it helps keep a common benchmark against the past cards to show a really long term gain. It makes it much more apparent for people using older gen video cards how much better the new releases are.

2. Batman AA
- I would like to see this game done with PhysX on and off to see the performance hit physx takes on the nvidia cards. Especially since this is probably the most demanding physx game on the market right now.

3. SiSoft Sandra/Synthetic Benchmarks
- These are great to see if ATI/Nvidia claims about fillrates, memory bandwith, etc are actually being met. Simple and fast, why not.

4. Built-in Benchmarks
- I know they aren't as common these days, but I tend to find myself staring at the fps graphs too long sometimes and just dont see the same fps drops and gains at the same time or more importantly for the equal amount of longevity. I think this is extremely important since playing a level will never be the same twice, and can result in a sway of fps depending on what part of the map you go slower/faster. (maybe a 3 pass minimum and average the fps of all 3 runs? I dunno)

Hope that helps

just as an idea, not for any one spec review (particular card vs series) but include a video (blue ray) review. see how HD content looks and the particular features and such.

Throw in my hat for Starcraft 2 as well and the newest Dragon Age if it comes out by the time you are ready to do your graphics round up.

Frankly I don't see why an MMO hadn't been included in the benchmarks of many reviews and when they include one it usually is for a game that is supposed to run on low end machines (WoW)

I've always wanted to see what would happen for Eve Online for a long time but I'm more interested in seeing that benchmarked in cpu tests these days. For graphics you should just rotate MMOs starting with either World of Tanks or Eve Online for every roundup you do since the up coming titles people are looking forward to won't come out till Q4 '11 at the earliest.

What would be nice would be to test with some less well known games to catch the companies who only bother making their drivers work properly for the few games that always get reviewed, perhaps not for this comparison but in the future. Another good test would be to try using older cards - e.g. does the 3870 xfire or 8800GT sli still work?

Would be very nice test of drivers for those of us who don't upgrade every six months and only play the latest and greatest games. What are our long term prospects likely to be going with graphics card maker X or Y? It would certainly influence my buying decision.

1. Lost Planet 2
2. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
3. Starcraft 2 (While not terribly demanding, this information is essential to many, many people when comparing GPUs)
4. Crysis (Crysis 2 upon release)
4. Dirt 2
5. Arma II
6. Metro 2033 (only because there aren't many games that push hardware this hard)
7. Just Cause 2

Games to bench in Eyefinity / Surround / maybe even 3D:
HAWX (HAWX 2 upon release)
Dragon Age: Origins
Mafia II
And 1, 2, 4, 5, and 7 from above.

If you ever bench CPUs, I demand you include WoW on three screens and maybe even 3DV / 3DVS. Its CPU bottleneck is legendary. :(

We have another comparison in the works and want to see what new games you guys would like to see tested in it, we've done BC2, AvP and Metro to death. So now we are going to do something different. We are going to include Mafia II... other than that, what other games would you guys like to see?

A lot of games have been mentioned, but as stupid as this sounds, keep WoW in the comparison chart as well.

Putting my vote down for Final Fantasy XIV, considering how much it is going to stress even brand new hardware. I can't say it appears to be the best piece of software in the world, however, so this may be something to try after they (hopefully) optimize the game shortly after launch, which is next week.

FFXIV
Starcraft II

Pretty much this. The Final Fantasy XIV benchmark should be a good gauge of how hardware will scale to future games. Starcraft 2 is very relevant to the real world, much like L4D2 and WoW benchmarks.

I’d also suggest GTA4: Episodes From Liberty City, for the same reason as Final Fantasy XIV. I usually hover around 30 FPS in EFLC, so in my experience it’s very hardware intensive. ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead is a good choice too. The ArmA series has always been very stressful on hardware.

Pretty much this. The Final Fantasy XIV benchmark should be a good gauge of how hardware will scale to future games. Starcraft 2 is very relevant to the real world, much like L4D2 and WoW benchmarks.

I’d also suggest GTA4: Episodes From Liberty City, for the same reason as Final Fantasy XIV. I usually hover around 30 FPS in EFLC, so in my experience it’s very hardware intensive. ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead is a good choice too. The ArmA series has always been very stressful on hardware.

stick with arma2, it has the same engine enhancements as OA but a higher object density, making it more stressful as a performance test.

Brent, for historical purposes do you and Kyle and company think there would be any value in using historical games so that I can see how much a new card improves frames vs and older card.

I think it'd be nice to keep BC2, AVP, and Metro and then add other games also...

But as for me the games I play the most now are SC2, Fear 2, and GRID.

I would love to see Final Fantasy XIV.
smile.gif
Its the best series I have ever played on 360.

While it would be hard to reliably test a multiplayer-only game, I wouldn't mind seeing Shattered Horizon. Still a pretty decent challenge for midrange cards unless I'm mistaken.

I'd like to see a PhysX performance review.
GTX 460, GTS 450 vs GTX 275, GTX 260, GTS 250, 9800 GT etc.
Will using one of these for dedicated Physx make a tangible performance difference in games, FPS/Smoothness, etc.?
How much better is the new fermi architecture at processing PhysX than the older one?

X3: Terran Conflict

Someone mentioned Risen; I like that idea too, plus it draws attention to an oft-overlooked game that is pretty fun to play.

Saints Row 2

NBA 2k10 (and 2k11 when it comes out)

Civ V (looks like a beast from what I've seen)

Any Total War game

League of Legends

Battle for Middle Earth II

^
League of Legends wasn't built for high end machines, my brother who plays it has zero issues whatever on my old 8800GT @ 1920*1200.

i would like to see Americas Army 3.0 tested. its a free game that has good graphics and good game play. the fact that its free and easily accessible to all is a good reason to use it.

true, but i dont think the developers(U.S. Army) deserve and free publicity on the game for the stunt they pulled with the original developer team building the game..

id like to suggest NHL11 from EA, but yea, they screwed us for how many years now?

Id still like to see GTA IV as part of the benchmark, Lost Planet 2 looks to be killer(but as u said, current games only) Honestly i think you guys cover the benchmark base pretty well.

I'd certainly like to see ARMA 2 performance benchmarked. Though it's not quite brand new any more it is still one of the most demanding games out there and is arguably the pinnacle of its (mini-)genre. Also, unlike most games, the performance your graphics card can offer has a direct effect on gameplay - the more you can increase the draw distance setting the further away you can see your enemy approaching (though you can't necessarily shoot that far!). I suppose what counts against it is a bit like what counts for it: it is a game certain enthusiasts like a lot and many more casual gamers ignore completely. It's not a totally mass-market game like Batman:AA.

And yeah Shattered Horizon would be a nice benchmark, it's a beautiful game that chews through a lot of high end hardware. But in terms of relevance to most people it rates pretty low (not sure whether it's just that nobody has heard of it or what, but it hasn't sold a lot and there often aren't many people playing online).

StarCraft 2
Metro 2033
Mafia II
FFXIV
Just Cause 2

I'm even curious for Civilization V.

Hmmm let's see:

SC2 (very important for midrange imho, high end will run it like nothing, but how good does each sides midrange performs??)

WoW:Cataclysm Beta if able (said to add DX11 effects to the table, i haven't looked much into the beta)

Done to death but relevant due to system stress: Crysis.

Another real gaming test of PhysX would be nice: "Does it add enough to the atmosphere to warrant the performance hit?"

Depending on the success of the free to play strategy to draw new gamers LoTR:O might be a meaningful benchmark (heh, like a friend said "first rock is on the house!"...nasty strategy but it works :p)

In short i would like to see the cards being tested trying to use their newest features, and determined how much of it is usuable and how much of it is a spec checkmark type of deal.

Mafia II
Starcraft2 for the sole purpose of it's popularity.
STALKER: Call of Prypyat
Half Life 2: Episode 3 ( I wish ) :eek::eek::eek:

Civ 5
ArcaniA : Gothic 4
Mafia II
Fallout : New Vegas
Dawn of War II : Chaos Rising

Back