What games have you stopped playing because of severe bugs?

tzhu07

Gawd
I consider myself to have a high tolerance level for bugs, but there have been some games that are unplayable because of them.

Recently, I'm playing through STALKER CoP, and the constant studdering just wears down on your sanity. I'm just going to rush through this game and hit the end credits, and mark it completed. Can't believe things like this even pass through QA.

Actually Icewind Dale. Just haven't gotten around to getting it running in an XP emulator.

I made it through the game but the buggiest game I've ever played was Bioshock 2. Complete misery beginning to end.

Fallout 3 on PC. Waste of money.

I feel like stuttering is one of those issues that a lot of people can be naive to, sort of like input lag. I can't think of how many "works fine for me"s I've heard from PC gamers over the years :(

I made it through the game but the buggiest game I've ever played was Bioshock 2. Complete misery beginning to end.

The only severe bug I noticed in that game is that the battle music would keep playing on loop even after I fought a Big Sister. It totally ruined the game's ending for me, because I was watching a very peaceful scene but there was hectic Big Sister music playing in the background.

Fallout 3 on PC. Waste of money.

I feel like stuttering is one of those issues that a lot of people can be naive to, sort of like input lag. I can't think of how many "works fine for me"s I've heard from PC gamers over the years :(

Not sure what you're talking about. Fallout 3 worked fine for me. :cool:

But yes, I also quit FO3 because of the bugs and even with the stutter fix mod it still isn't smooth.

Actually, every Bethesda had this effect on me. Other than these ones, NWN2 at release was simply broken and even today I can't stand most of the steps backwards Obsidian took with that game.

CoP's performance and stuttering issues also kept me from completing it. Got to Zaton and just shelved it. I still want to go back one day because that game is seriously badass, but yea.

Yeah, sometimes I wonder how other people do not have the same sensitivities that I do. I notice all of the following:

1) Input lag, especially when vsync is enabled
2) The difference between 30fps and 60fps (LOL @ people who can't notice this, are you fucking serious?)
3) Stuttering, or momentary pauses in the game (usually due to poor coding in open world games)
4) Image tearing, as a result of not having vsync on
5) The 60fps standard of smoothness. (LOL @ people misleading others that something runs smoothly, only to find out that the person is getting 35fps average)

The only game I can ever name I did this with was Hellgate London, everything else I've pressed on.

The only severe bug I noticed in that game is that the battle music would keep playing on loop even after I fought a Big Sister. It totally ruined the game's ending for me, because I was watching a very peaceful scene but there was hectic Big Sister music playing in the background.

I had tons of crashing problems due to a mismatch between the steam and GFWL versions. Main reason I'll never buy another GFWL game if I can help it.

Fallout New Vegas. I still can't get power armor from that asshole Hardin.

I am planning to give it another go after Skyrim though.

Bully and Dead Island are 2 games that immediately come to mind with bugs so bad I had to stop.

Don't have any I stopped playing due to bugs, but I do have several I did not buy til much later, or not at all due to them. It took months for the complaints over FO3's bugginess to calm down, and it likewise took months b4 I purchased it. Dead Island is one I had planned on buying in the first month or two it was out, but the reports of general bugginess kept me from buying, and is still keeping me buying since it seem they have not fixed it, and may not ever at this point.

• Age of Conan
  • Need for Speed Hot Pursuit
  • Dead Island
These are the only games I can recall which were so problematic I quit playing them.

Age of Conan crashed a lot, had issues with SLI and more importantly had bugged quests which couldn't be completed. Much of the content after level 55 felt and looked very much unfinished. As a result, I finally threw in the towel and never went back. It's sad because it was the first MMO I truly enjoyed up to that point.
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit was a bug ridden piece of shit from day one. I got tired of the crashes to desktop. I'd often complete a single race just to have the game crash to desktop right after the race, and the damned thing never would save my progress. This made it impossible for me to make any progress in the game. I finally gave up on it after weeks and even a couple months worth of patches never addressed the game's underlying problems. Dead Island also had quests which couldn't be completed due to bugs. It occasionally crashed, but not often enough to cause any serious concern. What really got to me were the save file corruption issues. A few of those and I just gave up on it. None of these games should have been launched in the state they were in. None of the three made satisfactory progress on resolution of their issues within the first month or two of their release. All three were total shit. Even if they have been fixed today, I can't excuse their publishers. I look at them as "to little, to late."

Last edited:
Not due to bugs, but I've stopped playing Just Cause 2, well.... just because.

Some quest bugs in SoC did bother me, but those were all side quests I think. I can't remember now. FO3 and F:NV run just fine with the mods and I finished both games.

Really, the only game I stopped playing because of bugs to this day is Capsized. I just got tired of getting stuck between a wall and a rock with no way of escaping. I could deal with it once or twice, but after a while it just got too frustrating to deal with.

FO 3 stutter was introduced for Nvidia users in a driver release around 188-190. They eventually fixed it but it took well over a year.

Mass Effect. I couldn't get to the last boss without a blue screen. I had to watch the last fight on youtube.

ToEE until Co8 came out.

Lands of Lore 2.

Icewind Dale 2 until a week ago I found a mod that removed a gamestopper.

B17 Bomber for Intellivision.

The Darkness 2 demo hard froze my PC.

Skyrim on the PS3

The stuttering and lag is so unbearable that I just couldn't deal with it anymore. If they ever fix it, I'll give it another try, but as-is, it's almost unplayable (I'm also pretty sensitive to low framerates).

Not exactly a game that was full of bugs or anything... but I stopped playing Darksiders because of a bug that corrupted my save. Didn't feel like redoing everything up to that point.

I play CoP maxed with the rig in the sig with ZERO stuttering. Then again I also play it on an SSD and since the game loads a lot while playing this might help. So its probably an issue with your system, not the game.

I never had any bugs that kept me from playing a game to be honest, I always found a fix for it, even if it took a few days to browse through the internet. GTA 4 was the best example, the last part where you have to climb into the helicopter, well I had to use FRAPS to make my FPS go down to 30 so I could even get into it.

Mass Effect. I couldn't get to the last boss without a blue screen. I had to watch the last fight on youtube.

You sure you do not have an unstable overclock of something? Because that game is ridiculously sensitive for even mildly bad overclock for some reason. They also tend to occur on certaing spots, like before talking to the biotic cult leader.

In any case, a game I stopped playing due to bugs was Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga. For some reason the performance in that game is TERRIBLE. It doesnt utilise GPU at all, and no matter what graphical settings I use high or low the game runs in very low FPS. Searching the web I found that some other people have had this issue too but there has been no real fix to this. Sad, because I really want to play this game. :/

Battlefield 3 (constant crashing & origin)
Fallout 3 (constant crashing)
Fallout New Vegas (constant crashing)
Dead Island (save mysteriously disappers)
Blood Bowl LE (constant crashing)
Close Combat 5 (few crashes, later CC's are more stable)

Skyrim. Part of the main quest has glitched and I can't continue. Though I haven't completely stopped playing, I'm a little pissed that I gotta start over (or at least lose a lot of hours loading up an old save)

Fallout 3
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Red Faction 2
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood

Gothic 3 - that game had SOOO much potential but was just ridden with bugs that basically killed the series!

Fallout 3
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Red Faction 2
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood

What game breaking bugs did Mass Effect 1 or 2 have? I've got almost 500 hours logged between the two and never saw anything game breaking in either one.

I play CoP maxed with the rig in the sig with ZERO stuttering. Then again I also play it on an SSD and since the game loads a lot while playing this might help. So its probably an issue with your system, not the game.

I looked into my issue with CoP.

I have a 2500K, 8GB RAM, Samsung 830 SSD (on which the game is installed), and AMD 7970. It really is not my system. Could be that the game doesn't play nice with AMD or some other software related issue. No fix for it as far as I can tell.

At least when the game doesn't studder, I always get 60+ fps.

BTW, just so that we're all clear on what studdering is, here is a video of someone showing the problem in CoP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nVGiv-9Zec

I used to have that on my old HDD and with my HD 4870, not on my GTX 460 though. Really odd, that would bother me too if it happened very often.

Just Cause 2

I'm one of the many GTX570/580 users who can't play the game without it crashing to desktop every few minutes (I'm not exaggerating as to the frequency of the crashes). I really want to play this game at some point, but it's looking like it'll have to wait until my next video card upgrade since it looks the game is no longer being actively supported on the official forums. It's pretty bad when even scrolling through the shop menu causes the game to crash.

yea stuttering is a bitch. It happens on my Skyrim too sometimes, but i'm pretty sure that's because i have so many mods installed.

yea stuttering is a bitch. It happens on my Skyrim too sometimes, but i'm pretty sure that's because i have so many mods installed.

Yeah probably, my brother was telling me how it is silky smooth when he has tons of mods installed(2600K, GTX 570s in SLI and on an SSD) except when he installs this one high res/replacement texture pack which causes lag. Seems some of the mods aren't really optimized/stable.

Anyone remember a cheesy little game called Devastation? People floating up the sides of buildings as if they are climbing a ladder, etc. I can't remember all the bugs, but it was pretty terrible.

Dead Horde.

From the town level (that or the one before) point onwards there was a bug or something which would cause the card tempretures to go crazy high and the fans to scream. Had everything hard locked at 60fps and everything on low/high whatever, the same would happen. Played one level with that noise then just stopped playing, tried a few things but nothing seemed to fix it.

I'm mostly lucky, I've played some of the 'buggiest' games in PC history without issue: STALKER (day1), FO3, Dead Island, Skyrim, etc...

If fact, I've typically beaten most of these games, twice, before most of my co-workers fix their issues. Though most of them are too lazy to try and fix a problem with their home PC's since they spend all day troubleshooting anyway and 90% of the time, a game 'bug' is really an easy fix. Very rarely is it a hard coded issue.

Magicka

BF3 (cheating is a bug right?)

RPGs, nothing really. As long as it isn't crashing all the time, I can add whatever item that broke an important quest via console or save editors.

Last edited:
Back