What drivers are you using with 5970?

ontariotl

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 2, 2008
Messages
242
I just want to get a consensus with what drivers 5970 owners are using.

I tried the beta 4 and beta 5 drivers from the AMD site and not even 5 minutes on desktop my mouse begins to slow down and then everything freezes forcing a reboot. I even made sure msi Afterburner and GPU-Z were not loaded. Anyone else experience problems with these drivers?

I used the driver on the cd and had no issues whatsoever. I just thought the beta's would squeeze out a few more fps.

I also noticed that there was no fan speed control with any of the drivers. I downloaded and flashed with a sapphire bios that fixed that issue.

So far its been kind of a headache to get this video card going, but the same thing happened when I had the 4870X2 as drivers still needed to mature.
 
Beta 5 drivers. Just played Dragon Age and frames were locked in between 90 and 120 fps.
 
Beta 5 drivers. Just played Dragon Age and frames were locked in between 90 and 120 fps.

I guess I should ask whether you are using Eyefinity as well. I'm starting to wonder if that is causing the crash as well.
 
I guess I should ask whether you are using Eyefinity as well. I'm starting to wonder if that is causing the crash as well.

I've been able to use Eyefinity with 2 monitors. But I don't like the bezels in the middle so I don't use it much. When I get 3 monitors in I'll definitely be doing more Eyefinity gaming.
 
I just want to get a consensus with what drivers 5970 owners are using.

I tried the beta 4 and beta 5 drivers from the AMD site and not even 5 minutes on desktop my mouse begins to slow down and then everything freezes forcing a reboot. I even made sure msi Afterburner and GPU-Z were not loaded. Anyone else experience problems with these drivers?

I used the driver on the cd and had no issues whatsoever. I just thought the beta's would squeeze out a few more fps.

I also noticed that there was no fan speed control with any of the drivers. I downloaded and flashed with a sapphire bios that fixed that issue.

So far its been kind of a headache to get this video card going, but the same thing happened when I had the 4870X2 as drivers still needed to mature.

I've been having similar issues with beta 4 and beta 5 drivers :( I also get the gray screen crash when playing Jedi Outcast on Steam.
 
Beta 5 here.Steam games go into pause mode for some reason,hit escape,resume all is fine.Just annoying
 
Beta 5 here.Steam games go into pause mode for some reason,hit escape,resume all is fine.Just annoying

I had a pause issue too with the Beta 5 (Crossfired 5770s). I put my vram back at normal stock speed and it went away. Your vram might be overclocked too highly, which will go undetected in other programs.
 
Beta 5 here, some random pauses here and there but generally excellent performance, even greater than 2x performance in some benchmarks with CrossfireX 5970s.

Just tried to apply the hotfix for Dirt 2 and I had a lock up/restart so I will give that a try again a little later.
 
Subscribed.
I almost bought 2 5770's earlier, stock of XFX was due in yesterday...
The performance of Crossfire 5770 looks amazing, are there any known bad issues with them?
 
i saw lines and artifacts with cf'd 5770's outputting via hdmi with the beta drivers. output image is fine with cf switched off. no such problem with the release drivers. there could be any number of other reasons for the corruption, but right now my asus cards like official drivers better.
 
I'll let you know if I get the same issue as I just ordered the same Asus cards, with free Dirt 2 :D
 
Beta 5 here.

No issues so far except lack of manual fan control.

You know, I never had fan control until after I installed my second 5970 and then it magically appeared and was usable. After installing nvidia drivers for PhysX though it disappeared again :(
 
You know, I never had fan control until after I installed my second 5970 and then it magically appeared and was usable. After installing nvidia drivers for PhysX though it disappeared again :(
Did you do anything to get the fan control back after losing it with the Nvidia driver? I know of the Sapphire OC BIOS that fixes the fan issue but I'd rather not use that. I hope this is an easy fix that will be done in the next driver release. I'm gonna try the drivers from XFX's site tonight to see if that fixes it.
 
Seems like I'm not the only person with issues. Just to update I figured out my issue with my lockups. It was Everest that was causing the slowdown and eventually lockup. It was the latest beta version of Everest.

Now beta5 seems to be fine, but I find crossfire eyefinity isn't working all the greatest. Some of the games that AMD lists working with CF/EF are worse than turning of Catalyst A.I. so only one GPU is running.

Maybe I'll try that dirt2 hotfix....maybe it will fix other issues.
 
Back
Top