• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What does 1:1 4:5 etc mean?

Ideally you want 1:1, gained performance.

1600Mhz Fsb Core 2 chip, run your ram at DDR2 800.
1333Mhz Fsb Core 2 chip, run your ram at DDR2 667.
1066Mhz Fsb Core 2 chip, run your ram at DDR2 533.
800Mhz Fsb Core 2 chip, run your ram at DDR2 400.
 
Ideally you want 1:1, gained performance.

1600Mhz Fsb Core 2 chip, run your ram at DDR2 800.
1333Mhz Fsb Core 2 chip, run your ram at DDR2 667.
1066Mhz Fsb Core 2 chip, run your ram at DDR2 533.
800Mhz Fsb Core 2 chip, run your ram at DDR2 400.

How can I tell mines setup for 1:1?
 
It would help if you told us what mobo, CPU and RAM you have.
 
Easy, run your ram at 667, problem solved. Or if you have a good hsf, you can OC your proc to 400x8 or 400x9, and run your ram at 800.

Ok. So right now since its at 5:6 that means its running at 800? If I put it at 667 that means it wont run as fast as it is right now right? Looking at it x:y wouldnt it be best if y was high as possible?
 
Ok. So right now since its at 5:6 that means its running at 800? If I put it at 667 that means it wont run as fast as it is right now right? Looking at it x:y wouldnt it be best if y was high as possible?

With C2D systems, there is no benefit in real world usage from running the "y" as high as possible. In fact, they run best when it's 1:1. With older CPUs, running the Y as high as possible was a good idea. But with the C2D CPUs, no benefit whatsoever.
 
Ok now I think I know how to calculate.

When FSB is at 333 and ram is at 667 its at 1:1 BECAUSE 667 is DDR so its really 1333. The FSB has a multiplier of 4 so it equals 1333 and 1333/1333 is 1/1 or 1:1.

When the ram is at 800 its really at 1600 and the FSB is still at 1333 and 1333/1600=0.83 and 5/6 is equal to that. It all makes sense now.
 
Ok now I think I know how to calculate.

When FSB is at 333 and ram is at 667 its at 1:1 BECAUSE 667 is DDR so its really 1333. The FSB has a multiplier of 4 so it equals 1333 and 1333/1333 is 1/1 or 1:1.

When the ram is at 800 its really at 1600 and the FSB is still at 1333 and 1333/1600=0.83 and 5/6 is equal to that. It all makes sense now.

Actually your math is bit off. Here's a much longer explanation:

The FSB speed is equal to the DRAM speed. Double the DRAM speed and you get the RAM speed. So if the FSB is at 333, the DRAM speed is 333. Double the DRAM speed and you get 667. So with the FSB at 333, your RAM speed is DDR2 667 for a 1:1 ratio. So to shorten everything, RAM speed is double that of the FSB for a 1:1 ratio

So to get a 5:6 ratio, your FSB is at 333 while your DRAM speed is 400 (Meaning that the RAM speed is set at DDR2 800 since double of 400 is 800). 333/400 is 5:6. Get it?

You were on the right track but the numbers were wrong.
 
So I really only need the DDR2-1000 RAM I bought if i want to hella-overclock my E8400 to 500fsb? Guess I'll just be tightening the timings on the RAM then instead of worrying about FSB.
 
So I really only need the DDR2-1000 RAM I bought if i want to hella-overclock my E8400 to 500fsb? Guess I'll just be tightening the timings on the RAM then instead of worrying about FSB.

RAM wise, yes all you need is DDR2 1000 RAM. However make sure that your mobo can handle a FSB of 500Mhz. Some mobos can't handle that at all while some can if the Northbridge is excellently cooled, like with a small 40mm fan or a HR-05 NB HS.
 
RAM wise, yes all you need is DDR2 1000 RAM. However make sure that your mobo can handle a FSB of 500Mhz. Some mobos can't handle that at all while some can if the Northbridge is excellently cooled, like with a small 40mm fan or a HR-05 NB HS.

How about the DFI P35-T2RS? :(:rolleyes:
 
I'm using a bad axe 2 and the max "supported" memory speed is ddr2- 800 although the fsb is at 1066. Is it possible to change the ratio and run @ ddr2- 1066?

still trying to figure out the ration and mem speed thing :p
 
You don't need to run your RAM at DDR2 1066 speeds. Refer back colinstu's list in the second post of this thread. All you need is DDR2 533 speed for a 1:1 ratio.

Some math:

Stated FSB/4 = Actual FSB
Multiplier x Actual FSB = CPU Speed
2 x Actual FSB = RAM Speed

So if the stated FSB is 1066, the Actual FSB is 266Mhz. For a 1:1 ratio, double the FSB to get the RAM speed, which is DDR2 533. Thus all you need for a 1066FSB CPU is DDR2 533 RAM.
 
So what is the reasoning behing the 790i boards only being ddr3? Suppose I pair ddr3 1600 with a
Q9550, would there just be no gain?
 
So what is the reasoning behing the 790i boards only being ddr3? Suppose I pair ddr3 1600 with a
Q9550, would there just be no gain?

I have this same question about DDR3. I'm not understanding the crazy speeds.
 
Back
Top