What DOCSIS 3.0 Modem

bastage

Pics of your wife?
So after fighting with crap speeds that I figured was me doing something wrong after I transitioned my server from Win 7 to WHS this last weekend I broke down & Called my cable co.. Well I was informed after a short hold that the crap speeds are being caused by the network transition to DOCSIS 3.0.. So after I wet myself I went to see what modem's were available & sadly there wasn't a linksys on the cableone supported modem list. Then I checked linksys's website & they dont even make a cable modem now..

So now I am stuck figuring out what modem to replace my trusty Linksys CM100 with. In the past the Motorola surfboard modems have pretty much always sucked, but from what I can tell for DOCSIS 3.0 they seem to be better then the alternatives.

So for those who have been graced with non suck cable internet, whats your modem of choice. So far its looking like the Motorola 6580 so I can get rid of my Wireless router (1 less device in my rats nest makes me happy)..

Motorola Surfboards suck? That's news to my SB5120 that's been on 24x7 for 6 years. And the one before that. I know a couple of folks running the SB6120 on Cox's DOCSIS 3 network with zero problems.

Dunno where you get surfboards suck from, I pretty much have used exclusively surfboards and they have been great.

SurfBoard SB6120 is what you're looking for. I personally don't trust the combo devices simply because if one piece of it dies my whole network goes down, instead of now where if my firewall or modem or core switch die, I have spares that I can swap in temporarily while I fix what is broken.

Motorola Surfboards suck? That's news to my SB5120 that's been on 24x7 for 6 years. And the one before that. I know a couple of folks running the SB6120 on Cox's DOCSIS 3 network with zero problems.

My experience with them is limited to about 10 years ago when I got my 1st one for COX in Vegas & a brief 2 months about 2 years ago when I 1st got cableone here in Boise before I picked up my linksys cm100 for 20 bucks refurbished on a shell shocker..

In Vegas we had lots of issued & eventually replaced it with another brand (cant remember what it was, only that it was dark blue). And 2 years ago I replaced my rental with the linksys as it was fairly unstable & had to be hard reset on a nearly daily basis. Since which time I have had to hard reset my Linksys a total of 2 times, & my connections have been much more stable with lower ping's..

So thats basically 2 Motorolla SurfBoards over the course of a Decade..

And I Understand your hesitation about the combo units. I have never had an issue with them in the past. While on DSL I had 3 different combo units & all were great (1st an actiontec, then a 2wire & lastly a Motorolla). Another reason for the 6580 was from what I can tell its got more user accessible settings for tweaking in the connection & supports bonding of 8 channels instead of just 4 like the 6120 (I know its not needed yet). Also I Would not be using CableOne firmware on it as was the case with all previous combo devices I have had. If I got it from my ISP I immediately flashed to the generic firmware provided by the manufacturer.

i just bought a Motorola SB6120 modem and its awesome !!!!! i got a nice speed boost.

my SB6120 has been able to almost get up near 100Mb/sec for short periods of heavy usage. it has no problem doing sustained 70 Mbit on a daily basis, and that is only 3 bonded channels. my routers logs say that it has had 1.77TB of data pushed thru it since the modems last reset. i wouldnt say this thing sucks...

well since everyone has recomended the same modem it appears that either the [H] is biased or thats the modem to get.. Either way 6120 it is.

Just picked up a 6120 today for 75.00 I think thats a fair price. I can't wait. I hope I see a significant speed increase.

if your old modem was the bottleneck, it will. but if your internet subscription tier or the line coming into the building is the bottleneck, a new modem wont do much for you. the 6120 has a nice transceiver, so people usually get a small speed increase or atleast better line signal.

if your old modem was the bottleneck, it will. but if your internet subscription tier or the line coming into the building is the bottleneck, a new modem wont do much for you. the 6120 has a nice transceiver, so people usually get a small speed increase or atleast better line signal.

currently my old modem is fine.. But if the tech support guy was right that will change in the next few weeks when cableone releases docsis 3.0 here.

I've had good luck with the Cisco DPC3000, needed it to get comcast's 50Mb+ going, pretty rock solid for a year or so thus far.

I'm using an SMC D3GN, router modem combo. It also has gigabit support and wireless N. Very stable and has no problems with 60M downloads.

Well I Picked up the 6120 from BB earlier.. No difference from what I was using before, but didn't really expect there to be a difference yet since Docsis 3.0 isn't actually out yet.

Its not that anyone is biased towards the 6120 its just that there are not alot of Docsis 3.0 modems around yet. Also, the fact that a lot of the major ISP's rent out 6120's should tell you that they are reliable. Otherwise, the ISP's would have switched to something else. I am still using a Linksys CM100 and it is not Docsis 3.0 compatible. I only have 10meg speeds so its not as important to me. If you are breaking 20 or 30meg then you might see an advantage.

Back