A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!
I want to archive my cd collection and have been looking for software to encode to the FLAC format.
What do you guys use and do you know if there is a free software package out there to use?
EAC + FLAC = the best rips, period, and ready for transcoding to anything else with something like foobar2000 and its converter with the appropriate encoder (LAME, APE, etc)... damned handy thing.
EAC here as well, I re-convert the FLAC files into MP3's with MediaMonkey (for my iPod and for playing thru the TiVo in another room, during parties etc). I love MediaMonkey for organizing my music... So many options, yet so flexible and easy to use. You can tell it to organize your directories however you darn well please, you can have it auto-organize only part of your library and not the rest, it'll sync to any iPod (or any MP3 player), it hasn't failed to find album art for a single CD yet, etc... But I'm sidetracking here.
Anyway, EAC's easy as pie to use once you've configured it, and the wizard takes care of most of the major configuration options for ya. It does a pretty good job with tags even, the only thing I've edited on my FLAC files after EAC's tagged them has really been album art (added thru MM), and the occasional typo on my Spanish rock stuff. It's slow(er than other options) but it's worth it to do it once and do it right.
I've used Illustrate's dBpoweramp since using their trial a couple months ago. It's very customizable along the lines of codecs and has a converter along with it. I would have probably switched after the trial to EAC since it's free, but I like the optional Batch Ripper you can download for poweramp, so i paid up.