• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What do you think about the PS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNOMEX

n00b
Joined
Jul 29, 2006
Messages
48
I personally love it. Having played both the XBOX360 and the PS3, which I now own, The XBOX right now wins in terms of system interface, and games. but in the future, I believe the PS3 will take it shine on the stadium and surpass both the XBOX360 and the WII in terms of games, graphics, and system flexibility.

I'd like to hear some of your guy's responses, and PLEASE TRY NOT TO BASH EITHER SYSTEMS ( cough* f4nb0ys cough*), IF YOU ARE, PLEASE LEAVE. Thanks.
 
there are about 3 dozen threads with this same topic in the console forum.
 
I love my PS3 I just wish that there were more games for it. I am also waiting for the PS3 Folding@home Client to come out so I can start folding on that bad boy.... Hurry up Sony!!!!
 
You ask for people's opinion on the PS3, then you tell them not to bash the system?

Why not make the topic of the thread 'Show how much you are willing to sprincle your love over the great and mighty PS3! Everyone worship it!'

Lots of people think the PS3 sucks. If you can't deal with that, then your as much of a !!!!!! as the people you are accusing.
 
um no what he means is don't come in here saying "omg the 360 totally owns the ps3 omg omg omg!/the wii totally owns, ps3 sucks!" don't be an ass
 
omg the 360 totally owns the ps3 omg omg omg!/the wii totally owns, ps3 sucks!
 
I wasn't being an ass, my point was that he should listen to people's opinions, and not shut them out.

However, peoples opinions like the guy above me....

If a person comes and says 'I think the PS3 sucks'. It's his opinion. he has a right to say it. If a person comes in bashing it for no reason, he shouldn't be listened to, that's all I meant.

It's all really in the way you say things, and if you have a reason behind them, and if that reason is your opinion, or trolling....

With all this said I'm gonna give the PS3 time. I'd love to have a PS3 because of MGS4, but if that comes to other systems....

If not, I'll just hafta get a PS3 I guess...
 
This is what I mean. There are many people bashing the PS3 for reasons I don't know. Please, all i'm asking is to keep this thread as civil and friendly as possible. Again, if you are just going to bash, PLEASE DONT $%^ POST. THANKS.
 
Hum. You meant if your gonna be a troll about it, not if your gonna have an opinion.

Sorry about that then. Next time be more specific :D
 
Not enough games out right now to justify the price.

We'll see what happens in the future.
 
I think the hardware is good but Sony might have really lost the battle by shoving the price of blu-ray down our throughts. Both the 360 and PS3 cost the same if you buy the HD-DVD but that's the clincher, you don't have to buy the HD-DVD. Honestly, so far the PS3 has been a big dissapointment. I don't quite understand how people can say "I love my PS3" when there's nothing to play on it. Unless you bought it just to watch movies. Anyway had Sony not insisted on including Blu-ray they would not of had all the delays and allowed their comptetitors to gain so much market share. Again, there's nothing wrong with the PS3, just botched move after botched move on Sony's part.
 
When GranTrurismo 5 gets released, I'll get one, or a 27" lcd monitor, which ever floats my boat then.
 
I think that the ps3 and 360 will each own about the same percent of the market share
 
I had a PS3 and ended up returning it. Here's why:

Hardware issues:

I own a Westinghouse LVM-37W3 1080p set and the PS3 refused to work properly with it over HDMI. Anytime I would switch to HDMI the screen would constantly blink until I cycled through the inputs (e.g. component back to hdmi) until it finally worked. I contacted Sony about this and they basically gave me the run around about it though they said they were aware of it being a problem.

Lack of rumble:

Coming from a PC background and having never cared for rumble, I didn't think this would bother me. If I had never owned a 360 and went straight from the PC to the PS3 I doubt I would've missed it but after having used the 360, it became apparent to me that the lack of rumble was a sorely missed feature. This became readily apparent after the GT demo was released and I was dismayed by the lack of any real feedback in the game--it just felt lifeless.

Lack of motion sensor support:

Aside from motorstorm (which only works well when using vehicles) and RFOM (underused in this game) I was again disappointed to see that one of Sony's biggest titles GT lacked motion sensing support. It was something I was looking forward to and not having it in the demo made me question just how much support sixaxis motion sensing would get in the future.

Controller design:

I'm 6'2 so I have fairly large hands and one the problems I noticed right off the bat when using the PS3 controller when playing RFOM was that anytime I would push the sticks inward (left stick right and right stick left) my thumbs would hit each other. The only remedy to this was to use the edge of my thumbs to move the sticks which felt unnatural and uncomfortable while trying to play RFOM. I didn't feel I would ever adapt to the design of this controller.

Low resolution textures in games:

I don't know if it's simply because the system is difficult to program for or not but after being delayed a year, I was expecting developers would have enough grasp of the system to give nice detailed textures in games. I was left sorely disappointed when playing games like motorstorm and RFOM and seeing the plethora of low resolution textures everywhere. This was further exacerbated by the lack of AF which made them blurry even close up. I hope this isn't due to the limitation of the GPU only having 256 mb of ram (I know it shares system memory but its not as efficient as 360 and it has less available due to PS3 OS) because if it is, it's not going to get much better over time. Having enjoyed 16xAF on my PC with high resolution textures and even seeing better visuals on the 360, I was left disappointed with the PS3.

Sony's Online Network:

Ok this is one of the biggest things that swayed me in favor of returning the system. I wasn't expecting any miracles here but I figured Sony would at least make Xfire (wasn't it rumored they'd use this?) available so that you could see what games your friends were playing and join up. Sadly this isn't the case at all and the entire friends system is disjointed and difficult to use. Having used xbox live and seeing how seamless its design was, it made it even more difficult to accept the shortcoming of Sony's network. They've had years to come up with something better than Xbox live and this is what they give us? It makes me wonder if they will ever get their act together regarding online play.



Reasons I had to keep the PS3 but inevitably weren't enough:

Japanese dev support:

PS3 in a matter of weeks surpassed a years worth of 360 sales in Japan so it's only inevitable that Japanese developers will give a fair amount of support to the PS3. However, with big names like Capcom and Tecmo making titles for the 360 and my lack of interest in JRPGs, it didn't seem a compelling enough reason to keep the system.

User removable HDD:

This is definitely one of the best selling points of the PS3. The fact that anyone can go out and swap out the drive for a bigger one without much effort is a huge plus. It's something MS should eventually allow. However, right now the 60 GB HDD is more than enough for what Sony is offering. Maybe in time when or if they get their act together and start offering a lot more content online a bigger HDD will become a more attractive option.

Keyboard/Mouse support:

This is a huge draw for PC gamers and if RFOM had kb/m support I'd still have a PS3. I know Sony allows developers to include it in their games but it doesn't force them to include it in FPS games which I feel they should. I know UT2007 should have it which is very nice but in the long run I'll likely end up playing UT2007 on my PC with a DX10 card anyway. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on kb/m support for the PS3 in the future and if it seems more and more games support it, I may be inclined to get a PS3 again.

Blu-Ray drive:

Since I have a 1080p set the blu-ray drive is a natural compliment for it. However, after seeing the included movie with the system (talladega nights) I wasn't really blown away by the quality. Given the precarious nature of format wars, I'm not sure if it would be worth spending $650 on a system whose format may end up worthless. Furthermore I found that my local video rental stores like Blockbuster had very few blu-ray movies available so I wasn't really compelled to keep the PS3 for this feature alone.

--------------------


The above pretty much sums up my pros and cons for the PS3. Overall I just find myself more satisfied with what the 360 and PC have to offer me. I get the ease of xbox live along with the 360s more established game library and its controllers are much more forgiving for my large hands. Furthermore, the PS3 just didn't impress me graphically. I know a lot of people claim things will get better as time goes along and tend to make excuses for it by saying the games on it are first generation but you have to keep in mind that developers have had an extra year to polish their titles for the PS3. This makes me question the wisdom of the "wait and see" approach (not to mention the PS3 GPU is inferior to the 360). Finally, since the PS3 refused to play nice with my 1080p set, I didn't want to risk screwing up my display.
 
Games? There is nothing out there that justifies the price of the PS3.


Its too much. There will never be an abundance of "must haves" that will be PS3 only. Why?

Devs know that the PS3 won't sell like wildfire. Its just too much for most to comfortably afford. That means they'll develop for all 3 rather than just the PS3.

Sure, it'll have MGS4 (maybe not for long....) but anyone who pays ~800 dollars to play one game...well...I don't think I have to finish that description for you to get the idea.
 
I'd like to hear some of your guy's responses, and PLEASE TRY NOT TO BASH EITHER SYSTEMS ( cough* f4nb0ys cough*), IF YOU ARE, PLEASE LEAVE. Thanks.

Why do OPs always put that in there?

YOU KNOW
that if you bash or threadcap you WILL get banned so what is the point of adding that jargon in the first place?:confused:
 
Ehg, I am not here the bash, but just the same I am going to speak my mind. I hate my PS3.

As far as hardware goes, really no issues. The system works fine. However, I was a little disapointed from the start about the Blu-Ray. If I had to choose an HD Movie format, it would be HD-DVD, hands down. So, the fact that that was forced upod me sort of fustrates. I also don't like how the conroller has to connect, but that is really a moot point.

My disapointment really comes down to Sony's unrealised promises and a horrible launch lineup that has left me with sort of a bitter taste in mouth after dropping over $700. I probably won't keep it long enough to find out if it gets better.
 
Too expensive is my initial thought.

I will buy a 360 before I buy a PS3 because of games. Mass Effect and Forza 2 are the games that will likely get me to finally buy a 360.

I am really interested to see what the modding community will do with a PS3, if they can get something like XBMC running on it, the hardware could be too sweet to pass up. There is not one game coming exclusive to the PS3 I am interested in and any multi platform titles will be geared toward the 360 with little improvement on the PS3. So modders will be the only thing that will save it for me.
 
The PS3 is all dressed up, with no where to go. Sure its got great hardware, in terms of specs, but to release a highly priced, highly powerful system, without a killer game = fail.
 
honestly ive never seen one outside of a store so i cant really judge it. no one i know has one, but from what ive heard and seen graphically doesnt look all that spectacular (NBA game) Price is too high for now, especially considering how Sony's first batch of products tend to have issues...

until prices drop its PS2 + FFXII
 
I think it's really cool, but too much money for me to spend on a console.
 
welcome to the reality of 3DO and NeoGeo...good systems, that were both tremendously overpriced.

Sony is clueless. People like to reply with "well look what you're getting" to which the obvious response is "look what the market will accept", because the market doesnt accept $600 consoles, its pretty simple.
 
welcome to the reality of 3DO and NeoGeo...good systems, that were both tremendously overpriced.

Sony is clueless. People like to reply with "well look what you're getting" to which the obvious response is "look what the market will accept", because the market doesnt accept $600 consoles, its pretty simple.


Right...
And the fact that the PS3 sold quicker so far than both the PS1 and PS2 (which became the most highly purchased console in history) has nothing to do with the market bearing $600 consoles. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Same argument when PS2 came out. "Oh noez, dez marketz will nevr supp0rt $400 konsole!". Look how that ended up, even your cat has a PS2. Same argument when the origional Nintendo came out. Something called inflation might have something to do with it.

PS: I had both a NeoGeo and 3DO.
 
Everyone, well not everyone but 95% of the people replying to this thread say that the PS3 "is too expensive"!

But thats a trick, you see you have to pay to play online for 360 whereas the ps3 online play is free, correct?

It costs $60 for a 12 month 360 online subscription. Lets say you play the 360 for 3 years.

So, you have the $400 360 system + $60 (x3 years) = $580, which almost equals the ps3 upgraded version.

So you see, even though you think the ps3 is "too expensive" its really the same as playing the 360 online for three years.

Me? I bought the 360 core version for $200 because I'm cheap and I dont play online.
 
I don't know about anyone else, but I dont' see spending $600 on a console, 300 for the original playstation was outrageous. The ps3 has some good hardware, but for me its not worth the cost, I won't be playign it online, i love FPS and RTS (ie: C&C, Dawn of war 40k) games, both have been done on consoles, and i still prefer it on my pc than on a ps3. If i'm getting a console i'll have more fun with the wii!!! the ps3 will be endless repeats and revamps of games like xbox and playstations always have (gta, vice city, true crimes, etc.... lame selection of games)
 
didnt you just read my above comment about the whole online subscription = same as buying ps3 jesus christ!
 
This is what I mean. There are many people bashing the PS3 for reasons I don't know. Please, all i'm asking is to keep this thread as civil and friendly as possible. Again, if you are just going to bash, PLEASE DONT $%^ POST. THANKS.

You start a thread saying that the PS3 will do better, and give no reasons at all and you're worried about trolls?
 
didnt you just read my above comment about the whole online subscription = same as buying ps3 jesus christ!

It is just more cost "adjusting", the same way PC gamers state that a console is more expensive because you "have" to buy an HDTV to use them.

OMG teh XBOX360 is more expensive then the PS3, because you need to buy a car to drive to the store to get a 360, so tack on 40,000$, then you need to install a full size wind tunnel to cool the device tack on another 1,000,000$. As you can see my non-bias cost analysis clearly shows the XBOX360 cost more then the PS3 .... or we could just use the retail price point.
 
Its not the cost that irks a lot of people so much as the fact that there's a comparable, established alternative out for $200 less. The playstation and the playstation 2 both had significant real world hardware advantages over their competition for the beginning of their life span. The ps3 just doesn't have that. Traditionally, console launches are filled with mediocre games but its excused because the hardware is wowing people. This just isn't happening with the ps3, which is at least part of the reason its getting so much grief. Its not necessarily that its overpriced, that the games aren't spectacular, or that its not immediately producing better looking games than the 360, its the combination of all of them.
 
Except that the PS3 DOES have the blu-ray player right out of the box. If you want the 360 to have the capability to play HD-DVD's, then you have to pony up another 200 dollars which brings it alot closer to the PS3 price. The 360 IS a great deal if you just want it for games and not for the HD-DVD though.
I've known people who'll complain about the PS3 price then blow 1000 dollars on speakers or items for their car which is marginally better than what it had originally.
The problem is that it's fashionable to nitpick and hate sony, so everyone is doing it. Eventually Moneysof...err Microsoft will do something stupid then it will shift back to them again.
Personally, i'm just going to wait on buying any console atm till they ALL mature somewhat so i can see which one is best for me. But just my opinion tho...:p
 
Except that the PS3 DOES have the blu-ray player right out of the box. If you want the 360 to have the capability to play HD-DVD's, then you have to pony up another 200 dollars which brings it alot closer to the PS3 price. The 360 IS a great deal if you just want it for games and not for the HD-DVD though.
I've known people who'll complain about the PS3 price then blow 1000 dollars on speakers or items for their car which is marginally better than what it had originally.
The problem is that it's fashionable to nitpick and hate sony, so everyone is doing it. Eventually Moneysof...err Microsoft will do something stupid then it will shift back to them again.
Personally, i'm just going to wait on buying any console atm till they ALL mature somewhat so i can see which one is best for me. But just my opinion tho...:p

Or get all 3. Win.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top