What do you guys think of the Sony PS3 3d display as a 3D PC monitor?

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
Relatively cheap price of entrance - 24" display with 3d capability meant for PS3, but works on Xbox360 and PC. Has good reviews and $200 off MSRP on sale currently for $300.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3...Z49Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1336143723&sr=8-4

I have both consoles, and I could sell the bundled game to drop the price a bit. If it's as good as any of the other generic 3d monitors I think I'll bite. If there is a significantly better PC monitor then let me know!?!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think this is quite telling...

"Digital inputs (side): 2 HDMI, 1 component"

:)

If you are using it as a PC monitor and want to benefit from 120hz refresh rate in games then I believe you need a dual dvi setup or display port. Not sure on this, but I remember reading that 3d tv's were not the same as 3d 120hz monitors as far as pc use is concerned

It doesn't do 120hz with a PC, nor does it even do 4:4:4 chroma sub-sampling so red text on a black background or any colored text on a red or green background is excessively blurry. It's also glossy and extremely reflective.

The positives are that it has medium input lag and looks like a big PSP :)

I would stay away from it for PC use.

There's also a bug many are reporting where the screen will black out for a second. I don't know if Sony has fixed this with a revision. You can read about the monitor's problems in this thread. I would definitely stay away. Asus and Samsung have 120Hz 3D monitors for only a little more money.

I was looking at this when it came out, there were serious problems with the power supply. I don't know if they've been addressed or not.

I just picked it up today. I'm VERY impressed. Either I got a good one or these are EXCELLENT monitors. One of the best, if not the best monitor I've ever used, and that includes a Soyo Topaz M-PVA, and a Toshiba IPS, along with the standard TN monitors.

One thing of note - when I first hooked the monitor up with my GTX 560 TI it looked horrible. The drivers weren't loaded or something. I was thinking yuck, no wonder people don't really like this. It's washed out and the resoution didn't look native.

I installed my GTX670 card and hooked it up again. WOW, what a difference. It looks VERY nice!!!

For $250 with 3d capability -- I'll strongly recommend this display!!!!

I think the PC drivers for this monitor are only in Geforce 6xx series cards though!?!?!?

It doesn't do 120hz with a PC, nor does it even do 4:4:4 chroma sub-sampling so red text on a black background or any colored text on a red or green background is excessively blurry. It's also glossy and extremely reflective.

The positives are that it has medium input lag and looks like a big PSP :)

I would stay away from it for PC use.

NOT true.

Text looks fantastic on Hardforum, steam, and anything I've seen so far. I think that must have been a driver issue!

There's also a bug many are reporting where the screen will black out for a second. I don't know if Sony has fixed this with a revision. You can read about the monitor's problems in this thread. I would definitely stay away. Asus and Samsung have 120Hz 3D monitors for only a little more money.

Everytime I reboot my computer the monitor actually turns off. I have to manually turn it on. That's weird I agree. I wonder if this is what you are talking about?

NOT true.

Text looks fantastic on Hardforum, steam, and anything I've seen so far. I think that must have been a driver issue!

I'd like to see some actually confirmation that it does proper 4:4:4 and 240hz as it claims. I can't seem to find any reviews on it.

Edit : Found a really good review here : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-playstation-3d-display-review

Seems like they approve of it. Its not incredible or anything but for the price its quite a deal if you wanna get on board 3D. However for PC gaming it does not refresh at a true 120hz but uses interpolation into 240hz. So don't buy it expecting a typical 120hz PC monitor. And there is some input latency to contend with for PC usage.

As long as you are happy with it OP than Happy Gaming :)

Last edited:
Yeah I thought about buying this monitor at one stage, but it's not true 120hz and it's supposed to have really bad input lag and slow response times. But other than that it seemed like a pretty good monitor, especially for 3D. I am sure the OP will be happy with it and that's all that counts really :)

Oh yeah, if you do use it with a PS3 one of the best features is for two players playing against each other they both get full screen picture. It's called simulview or something like that. You both have to wear the 3D glasses for it to work, but how cool is that to both be able to play fullscreen instead of top and bottom or side by side :)

NOT true.

I was using it with a GTX 480 and 5870 and I had the chroma sub-sampling issue, as well as a friend whot bought it who had the same problem with his GTX 580. He had it for a month and then re-sold it. Maybe they have updated it or revised it to fix these issues though.

Does the monitor have an actual driver loaded up in device manager?

If you go to www.doihaveadeadpixel.com and do the red or green pixel test (just click the red or green boxes in the middle) is the text sharp or is it fuzzy? I did this test to check for dead pixels and I didn't find any, but the text looked horrible.

White text on a black background is fine BTW so that's not what I'm talking about.

I'd like to see some actually confirmation that it does proper 4:4:4 and 240hz as it claims. I can't seem to find any reviews on it.

Edit : Found a really good review here : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-playstation-3d-display-review

Seems like they approve of it. Its not incredible or anything but for the price its quite a deal if you wanna get on board 3D. However for PC gaming it does not refresh at a true 120hz but uses interpolation into 240hz. So don't buy it expecting a typical 120hz PC monitor. And there is some input latency to contend with for PC usage.

As long as you are happy with it OP than Happy Gaming :)

They seemed to test it only with a PS3. For that it is perfectly fine including the 3D side of things. I was disappointed with it for PC use with which it can't do full rez 1080P 3D nor 120hz.

For a TV the black levels weren't great, but for a monitor they were good, though the brightness control just seems to change the black level up or down as well as the white level like a digital effect more than a back-light change (IIRC).

Hmm-- that's an interesting test.

I was just going to come back here and rave about how much I like this thing as a monitor! It is georgeous on every website I've been to. But when I clicked the red and blue backgrounds the text was a bit fuzzy. On the White, Black, and Green backgrounds the text is perfect. It's not a deal breaker for me because I've never even seen a website with those horrible background colors. Hardforum looks fantastic, AVS forum looks fantastic, games look fantastic.

I'm in IT and have been around a lot of monitors for a lot of years, and this is one of the best, if not the best monitor I've ever used. The Blacks are like Inky black. I have no backlight bleed at all, and no hotspotting. Text is exceptional on everything I've seen except your test.

I can't believe how good this thing works as a monitor otherwise.

yes it does have a driver.

it shows up as SCEI monitor.

What's intersting is when this display was unrecognized it looked pretty bad. It looked like it was running at non native res, and it ws washed out and looked like it had bad edge light bleeding. When the driver installed itself (with the install of my GTX 670 card) the monitor went from being a definite return to an absolute showcase monitor. I understand you'll probably now discount my opinion since the two backgrounds made the text fuzzy - that's fine, but I'm really quite excited about how this monitor looks.

When you put the background for windows on a solid color of black - aside from the icons and start bar you can't even tell the monitor is on. It's that pure black! There is zero backlight bleed.

I have three 20" IPS panels I normally use - this looks way better. I have a Toshiba 32E200U, that was the best of three highly rated HDTV's I purchased for PC monitor use and kept the best. The two I returned included the highly touted LG450 whatever model and another model everybody raved about - I tried them and compared them directly with the Toshiba and liked the Toshiba the best. I had a Soyo Topaz MPVA monitor that looked excellent. I've used many of the crappy TN panels including my HP 24" and Samsung 24"ers at work. I worked on a helpdesk for 5 years at a large corporating and have seen a LOT of monitors. I think this Sony display is the best monitor I've ever seen or used for my real world use. I do definately wish it was a 27" or 32" I miss the size of the Toshiba 32" HDTV and ultimately the size might win out and I'll go back to the 32" display --- but this display is clearly better quality than the toshiba!

So for what that's worth...

Blacks are INKY.
Colors are VERY vibrant
Whites are very white.
BUT ---------
Text on background colors you'll never see maybe a bit fuzzy.

Perhaps, my enthusiasm is just that I'm just so enamored with the blacks! The blacks disappear! How many times have we used monitors were the blacks are just a gray and you never get a true black? These blacks look as if the monitor is turned off on the background of hardforum borders. It's really impressive! I've never seen some of the 30" IPS panels that everyone raves about - but if it's comparable to this - I understand why people rave abot them!

At any rate I saw on slickdeals.net that this monitor bundle was selling for $200 today at sony.com For that price with a pair of 3d glasses and a copy of a game -- it is a head turner!

At the Diablo 3 Lan, everybody remarked on the sharp looks of the monitor and the sound is excellent for a monitor (though still definately not anything compared to a pair of $30 logitech desktop speakes). The Sony monitor was definately the best of the five other LCD monitors there and by no small margin. At one point I hooked my LAN party slave HP 24" with a TN panel up and it looked plain awful in comparison when I played for a hour or so on it. The TN I have is probably one of the better TN panels I've used and so I've kept it for LAN party use.

I wasn't impressed with this monitor at first without the driver - but with the driver - it's a very nice display!

Last edited:
Any updates on this thing for the 3d PC side of things? I grabbed one off of the Best Buy sale, but haven't picked it up yet. I wasn't aware that it didn't do true 120hz on the PC side, but I'm still curious about it's 3d ability as I do have an Xbox, a PS3, and a blu ray drive in my computer that I could use.

I'm sure it's probably a better monitor than my 5+ year old gateway 24", but I'd hate to have it be subpar when I can get a real 3d-PC monitor for not much more money, "do it right or don't do it at all", that sort of thing.

Any other input on this from anybody, or Archaea, any buyers remorse after a couple months of ownership?

I still like mine. Though not everything works in 3d. Trine 2 works great in 3d. I watched my first 3d movie last night and thought the monitor looked gorgeous. Its not very big is my sole complaint.

Any updates on this thing for the 3d PC side of things? I grabbed one off of the Best Buy sale, but haven't picked it up yet. I wasn't aware that it didn't do true 120hz on the PC side, but I'm still curious about it's 3d ability as I do have an Xbox, a PS3, and a blu ray drive in my computer that I could use.

I'm sure it's probably a better monitor than my 5+ year old gateway 24", but I'd hate to have it be subpar when I can get a real 3d-PC monitor for not much more money, "do it right or don't do it at all", that sort of thing.

Any other input on this from anybody, or Archaea, any buyers remorse after a couple months of ownership?

It can't do 3D from a PC. It can't play PC games @ 120hz. That's about end of story for me.

It can do 3d, just not all 3d.

Trine 2 works like a champ for instance.

It was truly tempting, and I might bite if it goes down any more, but for $200 and with all the mixed reviews and not being truly designed with the PC in mind in terms of it's 3d support, I canceled my order.

If I see it for $99 I'll probably no brainer it, but for right now, I'll stick with ol' faithful. (and watch it die now that I've said that)

I just bought 5 of these from Newegg for $199 each. This is for my LAN room in my house. I am wondering what is your PC setup and which cables did you use?

Most of my friends are running nVidia cards but I have one friend with ATI. I ordered Dual Link DVI to HDMI adapters and will run an HDMI cable into the 1.4a HDMI port.

Any information you can give me to help with this configuration is appreciated. Where did you find drivers for the monitor? I heard one guy made his own that allows 120Hz but he did not post the text from the .inf.

I also just picked up one of these and would love to get it working @ 120hz if possible. I have two ATi 5850s in crossfire.

I just bought 5 of these from Newegg for $199 each. This is for my LAN room in my house. I am wondering what is your PC setup and which cables did you use?

Most of my friends are running nVidia cards but I have one friend with ATI. I ordered Dual Link DVI to HDMI adapters and will run an HDMI cable into the 1.4a HDMI port.

Any information you can give me to help with this configuration is appreciated. Where did you find drivers for the monitor? I heard one guy made his own that allows 120Hz but he did not post the text from the .inf.

Man I wish I knew. I couldn't find a driver anywhere. The screen looked washed out on an ATI 4850, and also on a GTX 560TI - both only showed the display as generic. I put in a GTX670 card and the monitor showed some name. I can't recall. I hook it back up and check for you. I didn't install any driver except for that of the GTX670 and the quality difference was immediately night and day difference.

A good example of the difference is if you have no input selected and you are using the on screen display to change volume/color calibration/input or what not you'll see that the OSD is lit up in a light blue, but it looks like the rest of the monitor is off. The black levels are amazing. So you navigate the OSD menus and you think this monitor has ink black. Then as soon as I connected it to the 4850 or the GTX 560TI the backlight immediately went to like a light gray and there was no quality black anymore. The darkest black was like a washed out gray. I was not happy with the display at all at that point. But when I plugged the GTX670 in and tried again it was like inky blacks The blacks were so black you couldn't even tell the monitor was on. Exceptional!

I used HDMI to make my connections - in fact just the cord that comes with the display. With the 4850 we used a DVI to DVI cable.

If anybody actually finds a driver for this make sure and post it here, I spent probably an hour or so looking for one and couldnt find one. Somehow it does seem to load some sort of working driver with the 670 card. When it works it looks phenominal in both colors and black level. When it doesn't - it looks like a cheap, no name, junk, 10 year old tn panel.

Just checked.
It is recognized as SCEI monitor on the GTX 670.

I did a google search of SCEI and one of the first hits was
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/110607b_e.html

I normally use a 32" HDTV for my monitor. It's not as good of quality as the Sony, but it's quite a bit bigger and I sit back far enough that the 32" is my preference. I like a sharpness of 1 on the Sony display, I like backlight at 9, I like a contrast of 85, a brightness of 45, color of 50, hue 0, color temp normal.

Just checked.
It is recognized as SCEI monitor on the GTX 670.

I did a google search of SCEI and one of the first hits was
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/110607b_e.html

I normally use a 32" HDTV for my monitor. It's not as good of quality as the Sony, but it's quite a bit bigger and I sit back far enough that the 32" is my preference. I like a sharpness of 1 on the Sony display, I like backlight at 9, I like a contrast of 85, a brightness of 45, color of 50, hue 0, color temp normal.

Awesome! Thank you for the information, I will make these adjustments this week when they arrive. I run a 670 on my computers so I will test it.

There must be something in the 600 series video pipeline that has extra features that allow it to properly detect the monitor.

I worked on this 3 hours last night and finally gave up. I can get it to do 3D in Windows with the 3D test that nVidia has but none of my games were in 3D not even Trine 2 or Batman.

I have an EVGA 670 SC and normally run 3D with an Asus 120Hz monitor. I did everything installed even the latest beta drivers. Also all of the 3D options were grayed out as far as turning up depth etc so I couldn't adjust anything.

This might be an issue with my video card, I am going to contact EVGA after I do some testing this weekend with my son's older 560 Ti. If I get it working with the 560 I am going to RMA this to EVGA.

There must be something in the 600 series video pipeline that has extra features that allow it to properly detect the monitor.

That's not true, I'm using a 580 and the Playstation 3d Display is properly detected on my system. It's properly detected on my wife's AMD system as well (Crossfire 6870's).

SCEI.jpg

SCEI%2528AMD%2529.jpg

Archaea said:
The screen looked washed out on an ATI 4850, and also on a GTX 560TI - both only showed the display as generic. I put in a GTX670 card and the monitor showed some name. I can't recall. I hook it back up and check for you. I didn't install any driver except for that of the GTX670 and the quality difference was immediately night and day difference.

I have two Playstation 3d Displays, I have one and my wife has the other. Her PC has Crossfire 6870's and mine has a 580. We never experienced the issues that you described. I've never had an issue with grainy or low quality blacks. However, my first display was defective, there was something wrong with the screen. Albeit, when I purchased it from the store, the box was pretty beat up and I'm sure that's what killed it.

As those who are complaining of bad text or colors, I've thoroughly tested all the Picture Modes with various settings and I've found that Dynamic looks the best to me (subjective).

OSD.jpg

By moving the sharpness down to 0, the text looks so much better than the defaults. As for 3d, I can't see it with my form of astigmatism, so I've never tried to get it working. I'm quite happy with my purchase, best $400 that I've spent in a quite awhile.

Last edited:
I worked on this 3 hours last night and finally gave up. I can get it to do 3D in Windows with the 3D test that nVidia has but none of my games were in 3D not even Trine 2 or Batman.

I have an EVGA 670 SC and normally run 3D with an Asus 120Hz monitor. I did everything installed even the latest beta drivers. Also all of the 3D options were grayed out as far as turning up depth etc so I couldn't adjust anything.

This might be an issue with my video card, I am going to contact EVGA after I do some testing this weekend with my son's older 560 Ti. If I get it working with the 560 I am going to RMA this to EVGA.

I'll get trine 2 hooked up today and try to help you figure out what's up. I doubt it's your video card - more likely a setting I'd assume.

I'll get trine 2 hooked up today and try to help you figure out what's up. I doubt it's your video card - more likely a setting I'd assume.

I figured it out. nVidia removed support for this after the drivers that were released for the 6xx series of cards. Since you cannot run the older drivers on the 670 then the PS3 monitor will not work in 3D. Not sure if newer drivers will bring this feature back.

I figured it out. nVidia removed support for this after the drivers that were released for the 6xx series of cards. Since you cannot run the older drivers on the 670 then the PS3 monitor will not work in 3D. Not sure if newer drivers will bring this feature back.

Is there an explanation as to why they removed this?

So I noticed today that these displays are on a massive sale at my local Best Buy. Any update on driver support? I'd love to snag one of these for the price they're at if it'll work with my EVGA 580.

These are excellent monitors even sans 3d support.

I have a 27" IPS monitor. The Sony looks just as good IMO, and the blacks are deeper on the Sony than they are on the IPS monitor.

I now have all 5 Playstation monitors installed on wall mounts. I will try to post some pictures of them in the near future. What I found is that after getting the colors, brightness, and contrast perfect for nVidia based graphic cards when I plug any ATI graphic card into them the graphics are all washed out. This has made it so I had to assign seating based on the GPU for friends that come over and LAN. I think the nVidia GPU works best with these monitors straight out of the box. None of my friends opted to spend the extra money for 3D but the 3D is nice when I hold the occasional Xbox 360 LAN.

By moving the sharpness down to 0, the text looks so much better than the defaults. As for 3d, I can't see it with my form of astigmatism, so I've never tried to get it working. I'm quite happy with my purchase, best $400 that I've spent in a quite awhile.
Relatively cheap price of entrance - 24" display with 3d capability meant for PS3, but works on Xbox360 and PC. Has good reviews and $200 off MSRP on sale currently for $300.
This is an active shutter 3D display.
Some of these displays have an undocumented ability to be overclocked to 120Hz for 2D.
This is because a 3D 60Hz/60Hz signal looks like a 2D 120Hz signal (same dot clock!) so the electronics is often undocumented compatible with 120 Hz 2D. It's not listed in EDID, but you can ignore the EDID and force the 120Hz anyway, and the display still merrily displays an image!

gigasmack / Archaea:
Can you do us a HUGE favour, and follow the HDTV Refresh Rate Overclocking Guide -- 120Hz from a PC, and report back if your monitor successfully displays 120Hz, either at 1920x1080p, or at 1280x720p? For testing a 1920x1080p@120Hz overclock and it does not work, try obtaining a HDMI 1.4a cable with a DVI-D on the other end (similiar to this).

If using your existing DVI-HDMI cable, 1280x720p 120Hz overclock has a better-than-50% success rate when forced into an active 3DTV.

If this works at 1920x1080p, this essentially becomes a $199 120Hz monitor.

Last edited:
This is an active shutter 3D display.
Some of these displays have an undocumented ability to be overclocked to 120Hz for 2D.
This is because a 3D 60Hz/60Hz signal looks like a 2D 120Hz signal (same dot clock!) so the electronics is often undocumented compatible with 120 Hz 2D. It's not listed in EDID, but you can ignore the EDID and force the 120Hz anyway, and the display still merrily displays an image!

gigasmack / Archaea:
Can you do us a HUGE favour, and follow the HDTV Refresh Rate Overclocking Guide -- 120Hz from a PC, and report back if your monitor successfully displays 120Hz, either at 1920x1080p, or at 1280x720p? For testing a 1920x1080p@120Hz overclock and it does not work, try obtaining a HDMI 1.4a cable with a DVI-D on the other end (similiar to this).

If using your existing DVI-HDMI cable, 1280x720p 120Hz overclock has a better-than-50% success rate when forced into an active 3DTV.

If this works at 1920x1080p, this essentially becomes a $199 120Hz monitor.

I'd love to, but I recently sold my PS3 monitor and upgraded to a Dell U2913WM. Archaea might still have his.

Back