• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

What do you do if onboard RAID fails?

Kido1986

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 10, 2003
Messages
1,180
Ive had many RAID systems at work but never had a controller fail so I'm wondering this:

If I build a RAID1 on my extra system's onboard RAID controller, and the motherboard fails, what can I do? Will any RAID controller likely pick up my array so I can recover data or do I need an identical controller (motherboard in this case)?

What about a cheap SATA RAID PCI/PCI-E controller? Should I be using one of these instead incase it fails so I can replace with another to recover?
 
If it is a RAID1 then the data will still be intact on atleast 1 disk. If it is in a different type of RAID (5,6,etc) then depending on the chipset you will need the exact same or newer.

Cheap RAID controllers are just fakeraid, same as most motherboards use. I would avoid this unless you only plan on running RAID1 or RAID0. Odds are a cheap controller would be easier to replace.
 
For RAID1, you can use one of the disks from the array and it will work just fine, regardless of controller.
 
Back
Top