• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What do I need to know changing CPUs?

Beezzer

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Messages
152
I'm upgrading from a Q6600 to a Q9650. Except for the CPU, no other changes. I've read I should set bios settings to default before the change, but is there anything else I should do or be aware of? Thanks in advance from a first timer.
 
I'm not entirely sure if the 780i supports 45nm out of the box. You may need a bios update but don't quote me on that.
 
It's been a while since i swapped chips but the last time i did i had to update my bios to support my chip. Other then compatability and updates, reset cmos after you install so you can boot.
 
I believe 780i boards have native support for 45nm CPUs. You should be able to just drop in the new CPU and have it work from the start.
 
Yeah youll be fine , i threw in a 45 nm into my wifes computer on a 750i, no problems
 
Yeah youll be fine , i threw in a 45 nm into my wifes computer on a 750i, no problems

The 750i actually was found to have better native support for 45nm chips as it was introduced later than the 780i IIRC. OP just make sure you've updated your bios. Though the 780i and 750i were to be launched simultaneously, I believe most 750 boards started showing up later.
 
I was researching this --- swapping out roughly equivalent CPUs, as I need to test one --- and was wondering if in addition to restoring BIOS to default (by resetting CMOS with the jumper after pulling the current CPU installed) if it is critical to clean off old thermal paste + apply new paste on the CPU I want to test (it has a dried layer on it).

I would only be putting in the other CPU to verify it works / ensure that it will boot the system + POST.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
 
I was researching this --- swapping out roughly equivalent CPUs, as I need to test one --- and was wondering if in addition to restoring BIOS to default (by resetting CMOS with the jumper after pulling the current CPU installed) if it is critical to clean off old thermal paste + apply new paste on the CPU I want to test (it has a dried layer on it).

I would only be putting in the other CPU to verify it works / ensure that it will boot the system + POST.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
You should generally reapply paste, but if you just want to run the PC for a minute or two, you'll be fine without doing that.
 
Back
Top