What do I need, bare minimum for a file server??

ROL21

Limp Gawd
I bassically want to move my storage drives out of my main rig. what is the best way to do this? should I just set up a file server on my network and access the files through the network? how fast would this be? would I have to wait for all the folders to open for a long time?

don't need a sound card,

need cpu, mobo, and ram. how fast should this be so I don't have to wait forever?

guess I need a weak video card and an OS, and that is it?

mobo, RAM, CPU, video, NIC, HDD, OS.
keyboard/mouse/monitor for setup

set the BIOS to not stop if there are errors(like the lack of mouse & keyboard)

set up the OS to automatically log you in (I assume you'll be using NT/2K).

use TightVNC or another VNC-like program to remotely admin the server

set up mapped network drives on the client systems

profit.

Personally, I'd look at a Pentium 2 w/ 128mb RAM and a stripped 2K install.

If you're just accessing files and not executing any programs from the storage server, then it shouldn't be too bad.
The more memory on servers the better, but for simple file storage I would think 512 meg would be fine. Make sure the OS (if it is windows) is either Win2K or XP. The network code in Win98 suxors and will definitely slow things down.

My fileserver runs win2k.
Celeron 900, 160 meg ram, 20 gig IDE system drive, 18 gig scsi data drive.
10/100 NIC.

You access speed is going to depend more on your networking system that the server speed.

For decent performance, make sure you are using a 100Mb switched setup.

I was getting by with a p2-400, and it worked fine, but started hosting all the music in my house, and decided to upgrade the processor.

My file server is a 400 celeron with 384MB ram running Win XP Pro. Plenty fast, and using WinXP allows me to remotely run it using Remote Desktop, which is better than VNC in my opinion.

I have it stuffed behind my home stereo rack, and use with WinAmp 5 to play my collection of mp3's and listening to WinAmp's internet radio. Until I get a video card with TV out, I will continue to use Remote Desktop to run it. After that I have a X10 Mouse Remote.

Originally posted by Mister Natural
If you're just accessing files and not executing any programs from the storage server, then it shouldn't be too bad.
The more memory on servers the better, but for simple file storage I would think 512 meg would be fine. Make sure the OS (if it is windows) is either Win2K or XP. The network code in Win98 suxors and will definitely slow things down.

For a small home file server 512 is overkill. 64 will function, but 128 will be better. 256 is plenty, but anything over is a waste. This is assuming you won't be doing anything else but serving files - no game server, web server, etc. A P2 450 or above would be plenty. I prefer the 450's or better to make sure you get the 100mhz bus.

mini itx server is the way im going. all my stuff should be here sometime this week, im stoked.

You want a 100mbit or perhaps gigE if you will be doing a lot of transferring...

My p450 326mb computer works great as a fileserver

My home file server is a dual xeon 400 with 1 meg cache per CPU and 512 megs of ram. It is running 2000 Advanced server with terminal services in remote admin mode so that I can work on it remotely. This server is a domain controller, web server, mp3 storage, and ut2003 server...

Originally posted by thefordmccord
My home file server is a dual xeon 400 with 1 meg cache per CPU and 512 megs of ram. It is running 2000 Advanced server with terminal services in remote admin mode so that I can work on it remotely. This server is a domain controller, web server, mp3 storage, and ut2003 server...

Niiice. Those are PII Xeons or PIII?

wow guys, thanks for all the replies, I can get by with a lot less cpu computing power and memory than I thought I could, I appreciate everyone's input. TNX!! :)

Course I was using a 486DX2/66, 32mb ram, 2gb hard drive running Windows NT Server 4 for a CD/Printer server last year :D

Originally posted by malingjc
Course I was using a 486DX2/66, 32mb ram, 2gb hard drive running Windows NT Server 4 for a CD/Printer server last year :D

[H]ardcore!

Back