What do I do with a E5-2687W Processor?

Cantroy

Lurker
I was given the opportunity to raid a Dell T630 but I cannot take the entire box. It only has 64 gig ram and 1 TB of HD space, and while I might swipe the perc, it is basically useless except on a similar motherboard... BUT the CPU could be useful on other motherboards, if I can find one...

I can also just leave the entire box alone and not waste my time. Is it worth it to take the CPU? It is an 8 core/16 thread although it is a little dated... and finding a MB might be difficult. I have until Thursday to make up my mind...

I dunno, its kind of a waste of time, that thing is so ancient and slow. Obviously reselling the parts can buy you a case of beer or two so it may be worth it...

Grab a secondhand LGA 2011 motherboard from eBay, or one of the "x79T" boards you can get new from China. Build quality on those is adequate - you're not gonna try to overclock that monstrosity after all - and it'd be pretty handy as the basis for a server stuffed full of cheap ECC memory. Don't expect miracles - even at those clock speeds I doubt it'd be reliably faster than a Ryzen 1700, its idle power will be higher, and it'll take more than twice the power under full load. But you do have options.

It sounds more and more like it is too much to bother with, which is a shame as I was hoping a 8 core cpu for free would be worth it...

Again, it's not awful - for the right work registered ECC memory support's pretty awesome. But you're dealing with something that was state of the art and hyper-capable eight years ago, there are gonna be catches. You could pull and sell it on eBay, that'd probably net $75 to $90 very easily.

Plenty of folks buy those on FS/FT from here to boost home labs or minor work systems. Grab the parts and list them.

^^

Honestly if this was a 2687W V2 I would buy it from you immediately for a home server project im working on, definitely list it in FS/FT if you dont have any need for it (regardless of what others may say, those are still sandy bridge cores, so they are definitely fast enough for most tasks)

I'm with Smoblikat.
I'm currently trying to build a NAS Router with either an x79 motherboard or an AM3+ motherboard.
I just need a better CPU and some nice RAM, but it's kinda expensive. Not THAT expensive, but enough that I can't just buy it flippantly.

Well, I ended up in a meeting that morning, and couldn't get out of it in time to snag the proc. On the other hand, I'm feeling a little more secure in my job... so eh, right now, that works for me.

Well, I ended up in a meeting that morning, and couldn't get out of it in time to snag the proc. On the other hand, I'm feeling a little more secure in my job... so eh, right now, that works for me.

getting paid > old free stuff.

The 2687w is a 150 w TDP processor, no?

While it is a fast chip and a great performer, the 2673 v2 is actually a better buy, it has identical numbers in terms of core count and also has a 4.0Ghz single core turbo.. Same clocks, same turbo specs but comes in at only 110 w TDP.

OEM processors from this era tended to be far superior to most retail chips of the same family, case in point.

Capture-CPUZ-AWESOME-1.png

The 2687w is a 150 w TDP processor, no?

While it is a fast chip and a great performer, the 2673 v2 is actually a better buy, it has identical numbers in terms of core count and also has a 4.0Ghz single core turbo.. Same clocks, same turbo specs but comes in at only 110 w TDP.

OEM processors from this era tended to be far superior to most retail chips of the same family, case in point.

View attachment 263051

Depends on your use case. In a server, you'll rarely see a single core boost - it's all about the base speed - the V2 has a bit higher, but the W is generally a bit cheaper on the 2nd hand market (or was, haven't shopped that field in quite some time - I'm up to V4s in most of my boxes).

Depends on your use case. In a server, you'll rarely see a single core boost - it's all about the base speed - the V2 has a bit higher, but the W is generally a bit cheaper on the 2nd hand market (or was, haven't shopped that field in quite some time - I'm up to V4s in most of my boxes).
Yeah I forgot to mention that, good point. I had to go to China to get both of the 2673 v2 chips, they are much harder to find than the retail equivalent.
Since the 2673 processor was OEM only, they are few and far between on the market here in the united states.

True, the w does have a higher base speed, 3.4 Ghz vs 3.3. however, if you have a suitable cooling solution, both processors will run at the same base speed, essentially, since they both have an all core turbo of 3.6GHz, and in this case you will achieve identical performance with the 110 w TDP 2673 counterpart under real world conditions. I have two 2673's in an HP z820 workstation and they run very cool even under sustained heavy loads.

Back