What did I do wrong?

Misterer

n00b
Hello,

I have just built a new Intel system and while doing that had a weird problem of second channel DRAM slots not functioning (slots 3 and 4, any sticks in there and the system doesn't post). RAM sticks are good (work in slots 1 and 2) and it was hard to believe two slots of the board to be bad.

I was suggested to check for bent CPU socket pins, but none of them were bent. So after checking that, I simply re-seated the CPU, re-mounted the heatsink and again put one of the RAM sticks into slot 3. This time the system posted just fine.

I'm trying to figure out why. I did nothing differently the second time I installed the CPU + heatsink. There's not much room for error while doing those things so what could have went wrong the first time? The only thing I could think of is the fact that you can slightly wiggle the CPU in its socket (by 1mm or so) so in theory the CPU's current physical position might be slightly different to the previous one (but it's hard for me to imagine the socket design to have such low tolerance for CPU position).

Anyone could explain this? What could I have done wrong the first time? I'd like to avoid this crap in the future.

The socket is LGA1151, the heatsink is Noctua NH-D15, the board is MSI MEG Z390 ACE.

I had a similar problem with my current build. What I suspect was the problem with my build was the CPU cooler mounting causing some board flex. I removed the CPU cooler, seated the RAM first, then reseated the CPU cooler and everything has been working fine since.

Frankly, it's the downside to LGA style boards. The Noctua isn't exactly a small HSF, so it likely is causing a slight warp in the board as MrCaffeineX noted.

You mean the socket was bent and some pins were not in contact with CPU?

No. There is some wiggle room with the CPU's on these sockets. Its possible that it's shifted just enough that it's not making good contact with the pads. Sometimes this means that your CPU cooler is either too tight or not tight enough. Some motherboards also flex quite a bit or are warped which can lead to all sorts of issues. RAM not seating correctly, etc.

Back