What determines DTS capability

jebo_4jc

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2011
I am currently using Media Player Classic + FFDShow + some OEM Cyberlink DVD codec.

It seems that I don't have the ability to select DTS audio when the DVD I'm watching has that available. Is this because MPC doesn't support it or because I need a different codec?

if you're using an oem cyberlink codec for sound, it likely doesn't have dts support (they make you pay for it.) You should be able to set up ffdshow to handle the dts audio though, but I've never played around with it.

So it's prolly the codec.
Any idea if dscaler can handle dts?

PS I set up MPC to output sound via spdif already. I haven't really played around with FFDShow's audio settings though.

What are you outputting the SPDIF signal into? A reciever or a set of PC speakers with a digital input?

If your outputting to a reciever and not getting signal the problem is most likely with your reciever. I thought for cyberlinks upgrade the soundcard does all the processing and provides the decoded signal via the analog outputs, though I could be wrong as I only send stuff through a SPDIF connection.

Bighitter said:
What are you outputting the SPDIF signal into? A reciever or a set of PC speakers with a digital input?

If your outputting to a reciever and not getting signal the problem is most likely with your reciever. I thought for cyberlinks upgrade the soundcard does all the processing and provides the decoded signal via the analog outputs, though I could be wrong as I only send stuff through a SPDIF connection.
You're saying my receiver isn't picking up the DTS signal my PC it outputting? That isn't possible.
#1 I know DTS works on my receiver
#2 I also know I'm getting a DD signal while watching movies, and the DD works fine. I simply don't have the option in MPC to change audio signals.

If MPC is setup to pass the signal on to the reciever then it might be a problem with PowerDVDs codec just not supporting DTS.

You have MPC setup with the PowerDVD codec correctly right? You've disabled the built in MPEG2 MPC codec?

In MPC make sure that "Audio decoders" is set to SPDIF for both AC3 and DTS, this would just pass the signal along.

Now if the problem is the decoder you need to remove the PowerDVD audio decoder and replace it with FFDShow (or AC3 Filter) for decoding but this isn't what you want to do. You want to pass on the signal so we'll use FFDShow. Open up the FFDShow Audio decoder config and click on the codec tab, Scroll down until you see "AC3" and "DTS," now you just switch those over to "SPDIF."

Now back in MPC you need to go to the "Options>Overrides" and remove the PowerDVD audio codec and then select FFDShow Audio decoder. Now FFDShow is handling the audio decoding and since AC3 and DTS are setup to just pass over the signals to the reicever.

That should be it, I don't have a SPDIF in on my reciever (it's old, I really need a new one) but that should be it.

If you got an OEM cyberlink codec, does that mean you still have PowerDVD installed? This is just a hunch as mentioned earlier the OEM doesn't do DTS surround out of analog connections, but at least through the PowerDVD app it does let you choose SPIDF passthough. If you still have PowerDVD installed try setting the audio in PowerDVD to passthrough, that might carry through, heck while you are there check if it works through the PowerDVD app as well. On a side note, OEM PowerDVD does do DolbyDigital(not DTS) stereo, so that might explain why DD seems to work and DTS doesnt.

CrimandEvil said:
If MPC is setup to pass the signal on to the reciever then it might be a problem with PowerDVDs codec just not supporting DTS.

You have MPC setup with the PowerDVD codec correctly right? You've disabled the built in MPEG2 MPC codec?

In MPC make sure that "Audio decoders" is set to SPDIF for both AC3 and DTS, this would just pass the signal along.

Now if the problem is the decoder you need to remove the PowerDVD audio decoder and replace it with FFDShow (or AC3 Filter) for decoding but this isn't what you want to do. You want to pass on the signal so we'll use FFDShow. Open up the FFDShow Audio decoder config and click on the codec tab, Scroll down until you see "AC3" and "DTS," now you just switch those over to "SPDIF."

Now back in MPC you need to go to the "Options>Overrides" and remove the PowerDVD audio codec and then select FFDShow Audio decoder. Now FFDShow is handling the audio decoding and since AC3 and DTS are setup to just pass over the signals to the reicever.

That should be it, I don't have a SPDIF in on my reciever (it's old, I really need a new one) but that should be it.
I believe when I was doing my own troubleshooting, I told FFDShow that I want it to pass through audio to SPDIF. I didn't think about the fact that I need to tell MPC to override the Cyberlink codec. I will give this a shot.

jebo_4jc said:
You're saying my receiver isn't picking up the DTS signal my PC it outputting? That isn't possible.
#1 I know DTS works on my receiver
#2 I also know I'm getting a DD signal while watching movies, and the DD works fine. I simply don't have the option in MPC to change audio signals.

Well considering you gave absolutely no specifics on your setup one can only assume at what the problem is or where its located.

Since you say DTS works on your receiver that points to the codec as being the problem. And for the record there are older receivers that only had DD decoders built in and not DTS decoders.

Back