• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

What CPU will support 120+ fps in bf3?

xebo

n00b
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Messages
36
I have to apologize, as I just don't know a whole lot about processors. I have my graphics cards/system all ready to go (sli 560 ti's). I'm just looking for a CPU that can play BF3 at 120 fps, 1680x1050 resolution at whatever settings I can muster.

Will the 2500k bottleneck me? What can you guys recommend?
 
Any quad core will do.

BF3, while requiring some CPU power, requires a LOT of GPU power.

Your SLI GTX 560s won't be enough for 120 fps with maximum details.

A single GTX 580 on MAX details @ 1650x1050 only provides around 50 fps.
 
How much are you looking to spend? Your best experience will probably be from a 2500K wi th a Z68 motherboard and 8GB of RAM.
 
Any quad core will do.

BF3, while requiring some CPU power, requires a LOT of GPU power.

Your SLI GTX 560s won't be enough for 120 fps with maximum details.

A single GTX 580 on MAX details @ 1650x1050 only provides around 50 fps.

Thanks for the information ^_^. I was probably going to turn the settings down to whatever would get me 120. I hope I can stay at or above medium though :0


How much are you looking to spend? Your best experience will probably be from a 2500K wi th a Z68 motherboard and 8GB of RAM.

2500k, nice XD. Thanks a bunch for the motherboard and ram suggestions as well. I'll definitely consider them! Out of curiosity, why z68?
 
2600K here at 4400Mhz ( i can go to 4800 Mhz ) 3 6970 cards in Tri-Fire, Game at max settings at 1920X1200 and im getting 95Fps to 150Fps if that helps.
 
Out of curiosity, why z68?

It is basically P67+ and now that the cost difference is pretty neglibigle, no reason not to get a Z68 board. Plus, being newer, they tend to get better BIOS support.
 
I have two GTX 570's in SLI and I get an average of 45 - 50fps on max settings @ 1080p lol.

This is now completely off topic, but :rolleyes::

While I hesitate to refute direct experience, hardOCP just did a survey on this. Ultra settings, 2560x1600 resolution, the 6970CF setup scored 70 average FPS. 6970CF is comparable to 570 SLI, so your abnormally low framerate surprises me. If that isn't sufficient, please note how, in the same survey, the 580 sli setup (again on higher resolution and settings than your own) scored a ~73 FPS average. Your 570's should perform reasonably close to that as well. You should be getting higher frames in my uninformed, but adamant opinion.

Additionally, most bf3 beta benchmarks show the 560ti scoring within 15% of the 570. So please, don't tell me it isn't possible to get 120 on a lower resolution with (going to the extreme case..) all settings on their lowest. Especially considering that as you drop the detail, you require less vram, thereby theoretically allowing the 560's 1GB of ram to shoulder less of a burden.
 
Last edited:
Your 2500k will be fine, it's not until you step up your gpu's quite a bit that your cpu will become the bottleneck.


I don't think he has bought it yet.

I would also recommend the 2500K. If that can't do it (overclocked, if needed) then I'm not sure another current cpu can (maybe an older Intel hex core?)


Has anyone seen benchmarks yet on the cpu aspect of (retail) BF3?
 
I believe Anandtech did a 2500k vs 2600k comparison. The results were negligible in most games. The biggest difference was in Civilization 4 (really CPU heavy), with the 2600k in the lead by maybe 5 fps or 10%, if I remember correctly.
 
From what I've experienced, to do an average of 120+ FPS requires an i7 2500k-2700k with at least 5 Ghz if you are not GPU limited first.
 
Maybe im missing somthing as people are saying that sli 570's and single 580's are getting 50 fps at 1080p with everything maxed but im getting 60 - 75 with my single 580 granted it's running at 925 core but certainly sli 570's should still out pace it by a good margin.
 
This thread is a little stale, found it from a google search.

The answer is yes, with suitably powerful Crossfire or SLI GPUs in full 64 player maps and at low detail settings, the 2500k will be bottlenecked.

To wit: In the above mentioned scenarios my dual 6870s are running 75-80% apiece while my 2500k (4.4GHz) is pegged 95-100%. In effect it's impossible for me to guarantee 120fps at 1080p. Sad Panda.
 
I have 6990 + 2 6970's all in crossfire all watercooled and I had them installed on my 2600K and with BF3 in Ultra I got about 100-130fps in single monitor mode.

With all those GPU's in Eyefinity 6100x1200 bezel corrected I got like 45-75fps not kidding. That frostbite engine can push GPUs to death.

Oh and I disabled hyperthreading and wadda know, no more stuttering or clipping, or delays from the time I move my mouse until the character moves. Needs some more patching and bug fixing for sure.

I do not want to have to disable HT on my 3930K when I get it in a few weeks.
 
That's for single player, which is not very CPU intensive. 64 player multiplayer maps are, especially if you have a powerful GPU/GPUs.

CPU still has less of an impact than GPU. If you have less than four cores, usages will peak very often.

http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-performance/page7.html

Read this review...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063-13.html

Basically, BF3 really doesn't care what CPU you're running, but it DOES care about the GPU you have equipped.

Exactly. I'm hoping this is how it will be in the future. I think CPUs should always have minimal effect in building images in a frame buffer. That task should entirely belong to graphic processors.
 
Last edited:
The GPU vs CPU argument is never that simple.

There tons of options to adjust to get the game running well on even a lower end mid-range GPU. The same cannot be said of an underpowered CPU. There are almost no options short of audio settings that will reduce load on the CPU to get it running well, if your performance issues are CPU related.
 
This thread is a little stale, found it from a google search.

The answer is yes, with suitably powerful Crossfire or SLI GPUs in full 64 player maps and at low detail settings, the 2500k will be bottlenecked.

To wit: In the above mentioned scenarios my dual 6870s are running 75-80% apiece while my 2500k (4.4GHz) is pegged 95-100%. In effect it's impossible for me to guarantee 120fps at 1080p. Sad Panda.



The question wasn't will it be bottlenecked. It was:


1680x1050, SLi 560Ti

whatever settings it takes

can it do 120fps

So, if it can't, what will it do and also say what speed you are talking about (we are assuming he is willing to overclock his cpu)?
 
Back
Top