What Certs To Get

Adam

[H]ard|Gawd
So heres my situation. I'm 30 years old, run the IT department for the company I work in. We're a very successfull computer company that does a lot of surveillance/security/alarm systems, its out main focus. I do pretty well but I have no certs. Ive been working fulltime in the computer industry since I was 19. My first real job was doing all IT for a company that had about 40 employees. Then I left that job after 5 years, worked for a few months in the city as an IT guy, then took an internet marketing job for a few months, till i found where I am now. I'm 5+ years in where I am, love it. But i miss not having a college education (never went) or any certs.

Being in the boat im in, having a good job but no certs, what should I get? Id like to get some certs under my belt because hey, at raise time it can only help, and if i ever did have to leave, my resume would stand out compared to others (experience + certs = better chance).

So what should I get, and in what order? A+ seems like a joke to get, but hey, its another "cert" to add onto the list, right? MCSE, i couldnt really find any info on this, do they still offer it? Seems like 2008 was last time i could find any info. CCNA im definitly concidering, as i see this a lot more and i have no experience with cisco products.

Again i have 10+ years experience in the real world and a lifetime in computers. I can do wired/wireless networking, have experience with Netgear routers, but never cisco equipment. Im not a dummy but im also no security/networking expert. Im also not a programmer, but again, i run an IT department with a few guys under me and i can do a LOT (setup windows servers, etc...)

So any advice on certs to get helps me, i know some are just "jokes" but hey im sure they help right (i know A+ is concidered a joke, best buy geek squad REQUIRES it, and they are kinda... well ya know, not the brightnest, sorry if i offend anybody who works there, one of my guys worked there, but im WAY more advanced then those guys to the point where even running the department wouldnt work for me)... thanks for the advice

Update: Looking into a local college (Farmingdale state college marley)... i see they offer a CISCO course, which actually covers four things... and those four things (2 of which are the CISCO CCNA stuff) actually give me a BS in Networking from them... so hey thats not bad... taking their cisco course, which is hands on and 2 semesters for cisco part + 2 semesters for the additional part... giving me a BS in Networking also, i guess thats two good things to have... CCNA + BS in Networking its a start... and price isnt bad, $207 a credit apparantly which is 2484 in the end (3 credits each course).

Im not sure about all this terminology but I suppose im right here about BS and what not, reading it from here: http://csserver.farmingdale.edu/bcs/Degrees.aspx) the cisco stuff is here http://www.farmingdale.edu/campuspages/instep/cisco_files.html

Last edited:
What do you do right now? Do you do sys admin or network admin or both? If it's either or then maybe the MCITP which is roughly the equivalent to MCSE for Server 2008 is. If you're a network admin then maybe start with the CCNA and work your way up. I would also get Network+ and maybe Security+ if you have the tools. If this comes easy to you, I would just get it. See if your work will pay for it too.

Start with MCITP, then get a CCENT.

Cisco has moved around the certs, and the lowest is not the CCENT, CCNA is the next up and a little tougher to get.

We're a very successfull computer company that does a lot of surveillance/security/alarm systems, its out main focus.
Your job profession of running the IT department include IT security stuff? If yes, get your CISSP, especially if you have 5+ years of experience just for the sake of being on a security basis. Then work on the MCITPs, and CCENT/CCNA stuff (including CCNA Security which requires CCNA)

If its entry level certs, don't waste your money on a college course.

Just buy a book and use some of the online resources like Professor Messer, and
Proprofs and techexams.net forum freebies.

If its more high level I'd consider it.

I'm A+, Net+, Server+, MCP on XP, and I never sat a minute in a classroom. Passed 5/5 on the tests w/o issue. Even the CCNA I wouldn't bother with a classroom environment. You can use the Cisco emulator to learn all you'll need to know there. Its when you advance past CCNA that you'll really need to have hardware on hand / more advanced learning concepts.

The Cisco Academy courses are part of an overall degree program there. Not a bad way to go at all..at the end you'll have a BS and a solid CCNA. Downside is that it's going to be a full degree program and take a couple years and by then you could get your CCNA three times. Nothing says you can't do that and your CCNA on your own. My BS included CCNP level courses and since I had already had my CCNP for 5 years they were easy courses. :)

If you want some certs that most run of the mill techs wont have then look at ITIL and PRINCE2 foundation certs.

More for if you want to get into IT Management and sorting out IT projects but thats often where the nicer company cars and expense accounts lurk.

First, someone with 10 years doesn't need to bother with the A+. Look at higher level certs. Look at what you actually do and get certs based on that. If you have all Netgear equipment why go for a Cisco cert? If I interview you next time and ask about that it's not going to be in your favor. So focus on what you do or what you want to do (if you plan to change roles or jobs in the near future).

Im looking at CISCO because a LOT of our clients use CISCO equipment. All of the towns/schools are running CISCO switches/etc...

I have 2 employees below me. I run the the department. We setup small servers for clients, handle their entire computer operations (most client are 10 station setups, one client i do is a 50+ user place, and they run a windows 2003 server with a DC.. thats our biggest "network" client)... then we build and install video surveillance systems and wireless systems to work with that. We do a lot of video surveillance, its our bread and butter. I can fix computers and build them. Im capable of fixing almost any issue I run into out in the real world. My weakness is security I think and getting into bigger networks with domain controllers and AD, as its not my strong point. I can get by and set things up,but not that fluent with it.

The farmingdale college would take me 4 semesters, which is about 1 year maybe two (Fall, Winter, Spring, Fall). Dont think they offer summer classes but if they did, it'd take me a year, since its 4 classes (2 of which get me the CISCO CCNA background and knowledge).

Looks like I should take the Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 1 and then do the CCNE test, then when I do the 2nd class, i can go for CCNA, then the last 2 classes put me in my BS for Networking from that college, then after all 4 i can probably take the CCNP test since the last 2 classes from that BS program really cover that stuff... i think id need one more training though for CCNP to be fluent

EDIT: I guess i did my math wrong or research wrong, i wouldnt have a BS... Id still need their "core" program which is 48 credits, so yeah thats a lot. I probaby know 80% of what they'd teach me which sucks but thats life i guess in order to get that "paper"

Last edited:
EDIT: I guess i did my math wrong or research wrong, i wouldnt have a BS... Id still need their "core" program which is 48 credits, so yeah thats a lot. I probaby know 80% of what they'd teach me which sucks but thats life i guess in order to get that "paper"
welcome to the college diploma scam

Here's another update I also need liberal artsbcrap which is 60 credits now I'm at like 25k for a degree bleh

Welcome to degree programs. If you just want technical training go to a trade school. That's what they are for. If you want a degree you have to do the complete program to make you more "well rounded". Some of it I don't agree with, but a lot of it I do.

Certs come and go. You'll have that degree on your resume your whole life.

I would start with maybe 70-640 MS exam. It will be an eye opener for you though, I have been in IT for 11 years and when I looked at the 640 exam questions I realised that knowing how to do it in front of the server is one thing, knowing how to do it off the top of your head without the server in front of you is a very different experience.

Back