What can we expect for the next Google Nexus phone ?

:mad::mad::mad:

8GB would have been fine if they included a micro SD slot :mad:

Was also hoping the pricing be much more aggressive along the lines of $450-500.

Everybody needs to calm down. There's so much disinformation going around right now it's kind of silly. That Verge article claims 4.2 is definitely Jelly Bean. That hasn't been confirmed or denied yet. There are articles that claim 4.2 will be KLP.

So honestly everybody needs to go sit down, have a few beers (in my case some scotch), watch lots of football (college and NFL) this weekend and wait till Monday. Only after the event will we have all the facts and pricing.

Everybody needs to calm down. There's so much disinformation going around right now it's kind of silly. That Verge article claims 4.2 is definitely Jelly Bean. That hasn't been confirmed or denied yet. There are articles that claim 4.2 will be KLP.

So honestly everybody needs to go sit down, have a few beers (in my case some scotch), watch lots of football (college and NFL) this weekend and wait till Monday. Only after the event will we have all the facts and pricing.

Lol, indeed.

I really don't think (or at least hope) that Google wouldn't put a phone in the Play store for more than $500, esp. for a 8GB phone. I would think that they would have a version at the same price that the Gnex debuted at in the Play Store ($400), then maybe another with more storage at $500.

It is scarey seeing all of these corroborating reports of a 8/16 GB version though :(. If that's true, then I'm definitely holding onto my Gnex until a 32 GB version comes or I may just get a Note 2 after they've been out for a while and I can get one used for under $500.

Price predictions from me:

Galaxy Nexus 16gb - $299
Nexus 4, 8gb - $399
Nexus 4, 16gb - $499

Still insanely profitible as they don't have to deal with retailers. Also, I need to reiterate, this is nothing more than an uneducated guess on my part, just for fun.

The thing that really confuses me about the memory amounts is google is releasing the 32gb N7 at the same time as the fucking phone.
Why would they bump up the memory specs on the tablet while not putting that amount of memory in the phone?
The memory amount leaks really seem like disinformation to me. But maybe Google really is that stupid.
:(

The thing that really confuses me about the memory amounts is google is releasing the 32gb N7 at the same time as the fucking phone.
Why would they bump up the memory specs on the tablet while not putting that amount of memory in the phone?
The memory amount leaks really seem like disinformation to me. But maybe Google really is that stupid.
:(

They likely view the smartphone as being always connected and can therefore rely on the cloud.

From past history, I'd put the 16GB at $450, but the others seem in line. Samsung seems to be bringing out an updated GNex (Speculation, rumors, inventory database listings), possibly at the $350 price point?

Price predictions from me:

Galaxy Nexus 16gb - $299
Nexus 4, 8gb - $399
Nexus 4, 16gb - $499

Still insanely profitible as they don't have to deal with retailers. Also, I need to reiterate, this is nothing more than an uneducated guess on my part, just for fun.

From past history, I'd put the 16GB at $450, but the others seem in line. Samsung seems to be bringing out an updated GNex (Speculation, rumors, inventory database listings), possibly at the $350 price point?

Speculation is that the GT-i9260 is the Galaxy Premier, and not an updated Nexus.

I could see Google doing something like this:

Galaxy Nexus 8gb -$299
Galaxy Nexus 16gb - $349
Nexus 4, 8gb - $399
Nexus 4, 16gb - $449-$499

Though I would be shocked to see them bring out a new Gnex. I only see this as a remote possibility to emulate Apple and to get a lower cost option out the door.

Speculation is that the GT-i9260 is the Galaxy Premier, and not an updated Nexus.

I could see Google doing something like this:

Galaxy Nexus 8gb -$299
Galaxy Nexus 16gb - $349
Nexus 4, 8gb - $399
Nexus 4, 16gb - $449-$499

Though I would be shocked to see them bring out a new Gnex. I only see this as a remote possibility to emulate Apple and to get a lower cost option out the door.

I predict the same existing 16gb Galaxy Nexus remaining on the Play Store, but dropping down to like $249. And the 8gb LG Nexus 4 starting off at like $399-$449, and the 16gb LG Nexus 4 at like $499-$549.

Man, Androidandme is spreading lies like fire to make themselves look good. I'll just leave it at that.

Question is, how much will the Nexus 4 be on the Play Store ? And will there be options for a 16gb version ?

We will all know Monday :)

Oh yeah, one more thing, wips out the HTC Nexus-5" with 1080p :eek: LOL then I woke up.

I broke my bloody phone today! Google needs to release this Nexus phone in a hurry!!!!!!!

Exynos 5 is confirmed?! erhmagerd!

...wait, which version of PenTile?

Until it is announced officially, I will have a hard time believing that this has a SAMOLED display. I suspect that it is PLS, the same tech being used in most of Samsung's higher end high-resolution displays.

16GB HSPA+ LGN4 will be purchased as soon as it hits the play store.
Anybody want to buy a GNexus? Includes the Diztronics case ("smoke" color)

Also a charging stand because that is just awesome to have from a nexus phone.
Why can't the N7 have a damn wireless charging option. Maybe a stand from the POGO pins...

I'm really torn on what to do if there is not a LTE version. I guess maybe a Galaxy S3...
:shrug:
The N4 has a better CPU than any S3 (4xKrait > 2xKrait > 4xExynos4) and a better GPU (Krait Pro),
It also has stock Android and will get updates instantly.

Easy choice, for me.

The more I see of the upcoming LG Nexus 4, the less excited I get, not sure why, but just not feeling it with this new Nexus 4. And I am a huge Android nerd, having owned all three Nexus phones, each bought the first day they went on sale, this is the first Nexus I want to read all reviews first, and see real hands on use and opinions on forums, etc... before I will buy it.

I get it, that the spec's of the new Nexus 4 are much better than the current Galaxy Nexus, it is easily twice the phone, in hardware spec's. Double the RAM...double the cores, and overall much better performing processors, bigger and better battery, etc...

But maybe it is the design, looking almost exactly like last years Nexus, not getting me excited ? Or maybe it is the new Nexus 4 OS Android 4.2 is still just a slight update to Jellybean, nothing brand spanking new like a 5.0 Key Lime Pie, which is not getting me excited ? Could be I am not excited about the screen in the Nexus 4 ? It won't be the #1 top screen ever, but supposed to be really good, but not blow your balls off cool. The One X which is 6 months old is supposed to have better screen than the Nexus 4. And LG making the new Nexus 4, doesn't really bother me, but...it doesn't get me overly excited either, as would a new comer like Sony or even Asus for a Nexus phone.

I don't know. What will the current Galaxy Nexus running 4.2 be like ? I am sure pretty fast, where as the Nexus 4 will be even faster and smoother, but like in the real world, will that performance difference be that much noticeable, except in benchmark scores ? Screen wise, the Galaxy Nexus with AMOLED has deep blacks and vibrant colors, but the Nexus 4 should be better outside, and more realistic colors. battery should be better on the Nexus 4. But overall side by side in every day use, will there be a massive difference between the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 ?

The Nexus-S vs Galaxy Nexus was night and fucking day major upgrade. When I picked up the Galaxy Nexus, and had my Nexus-S in the other hand, the N-S looked instantly dated and very old, compared to the G-Nex. But will the N-4 give that seem feeling next to the G-Nex ?

Last edited:
The Nexus-S vs Galaxy Nexus was night and fucking day major upgrade. When I picked up the Galaxy Nexus, and had my Nexus-S in the other hand, the N-S looked instantly dated and very old, compared to the G-Nex. But will the N-4 give that seem feeling next to the G-Nex ?

For me, the biggest gain would be in the GPU for gaming. The PowerVR SGX540 used in the Nexus, while overclocked, was a bit weak for a 720p screen. It was certainly adequate, but many games run at a lower framerate than they should. Case in point, I used to play Order and Chaos Online. On my SGS2 (Mali, 800x480), it mostly ran at 60fps, but would stutter periodically. On a Galaxy Nexus, it felt more like a smooth 30fps. But newer games will tax this further.

The Adreno 320 will easily handle gaming on 720p. In fact, it can go up to 1080p (as we're seeing in some devices). However, you are correct in that outside of gaming, this won't make a massive difference for the end user. Do you upgrade your PC every time something new comes out? I don't. I upgrade when the current hardware no longer performs to my expectations. My phones will be the same way now that they are just smaller PCs. Unless you have to have the best, those with a Galaxy Nexus can feel comfortable passing on the LG Nexus 4 and waiting for next year's edition. Those still on the Nexus S may want to upgrade now.

For me, the biggest gain would be in the GPU for gaming. The PowerVR SGX540 used in the Nexus, while overclocked, was a bit weak for a 720p screen. It was certainly adequate, but many games run at a lower framerate than they should. Case in point, I used to play Order and Chaos Online. On my SGS2 (Mali, 800x480), it mostly ran at 60fps, but would stutter periodically. On a Galaxy Nexus, it felt more like a smooth 30fps. But newer games will tax this further.

The Adreno 320 will easily handle gaming on 720p. In fact, it can go up to 1080p (as we're seeing in some devices). However, you are correct in that outside of gaming, this won't make a massive difference for the end user. Do you upgrade your PC every time something new comes out? I don't. I upgrade when the current hardware no longer performs to my expectations. My phones will be the same way now that they are just smaller PCs. Unless you have to have the best, those with a Galaxy Nexus can feel comfortable passing on the LG Nexus 4 and waiting for next year's edition. Those still on the Nexus S may want to upgrade now.

Great points. I am not a phone gamer, just a PC Gamer on Eyefinity :)

But yeah, I stopped upgrading my computer parts every year too, not worth it, unless I can see 50% real world performance upgrade, but so many times I see next gen parts come out with only a 20% upgrade in performance, which is not worth it to me.

Now your other good point, if you hold out two years between new devices, then yes you get your monies worth. If you have a Nexus-S, going to the Nexus-4 is a huge upgrade. Like me, I had the 5870 single VideoCard, then the 6970 came out, and was like 20% at best better than my 5870, so I waited, and now the 7970 is out this year, and that is worth the upgrade, over my 5870.

I think the major leaps and bounds in tech each year, seem to be slowing down a bit, now it takes two years between to see a massive upgrade.

My main concern with the phone is the CPU. We're not at a point right now where we're seeing major multi-core usage on mobile, so going from a dual-core to a quad-core doesn't offer much benefit. In fact, it can be the opposite. In terms of raw power, if you maxed out every core, the Exynos 4 quad (SGS3) is faster than the Snapdragon S4 dual-core (SGS3 in the USA). However, Krait has a much higher IPC, and as such, you see better performance because only 1-2 cores really gets used.

So expanding on that and going from S4 to S4 pro (quad-core and better GPU) doesn't do much for us. Those extra 2 cores don't really get used. And what if you hold on to the phone long enough that quad-core does get taxed? That's not a good thing either. Krait uses an asynchronous design, whereas Cortex A9/A15 uses synchronous.

Asynchronous means a few things. First, all cores can be ramped up individually. So, if the system only needs the first core to max out at 1.5ghz, and the rest can stay at 500mhz, then that's how it works. On a Synchronous design, all cores ramp up to the same speed. This seems like a battery saver, and it can be, except that power consumption does not go up linearly with higher clock speed. So, a quad-core with all 4 cores running at 1ghz would potentially use less power than a quad core with one core at 1.5ghz, two at 1ghz, and one at 500mhz, assuming identical conditions.

Lastly, here's the major issue that I have with Krait as opposed to A15. Krait, much like other ASMP designs (Sega Saturn) cannot have multiple cores addressing memory simultaneously. So, in an SMP-capable environment, Core 1 processes task 1 while Core 2 processes task 2 at the same time. In an aSMP capable environment, Core 1 processes Task 1, and then when finished, Core 2 processes Task 2. Now, the handoff is in picoseconds, so you and I will never notice the latency. However, it becomes a nightmare to deal with in a truly heavily-threaded environment (which mobile currently is not).

So, what benefit do I see for quad-core Krait over dual-core? Not much. We're in a situation right now where the performance gains won't be apparent due to how mobile programs utilize the CPU. And when we get to a point where mobile applications do need that kind of processing power...Krait isn't going to do it. Want proof? Why did Microsoft certify Krait for WP8...but not use it on the Surface RT? Why is Tegra 3 the platform of choice for most Windows 8 RT tablets and hybrids? Why go back to Cortex-A9 for that? Because Cortex-A9 is SMP, which is something you'll want for a Windows environment, even a scaled back one like Windows 8 RT. Yes, Snapdragon S4 has been certified for use in Windows 8 RT. But the only device I've seen use it was the Qualcomm Liquid demonstration tablet.

I'm happy with my SGS2 and I will wait for quad-core A15 before I upgrade, just as I've waited for Haswell to upgrade from my ancient Core2Quad Q6600.

The more I see of the upcoming LG Nexus 4, the less excited I get, not sure why, but just not feeling it with this new Nexus 4. And I am a huge Android nerd, having owned all three Nexus phones, each bought the first day they went on sale, this is the first Nexus I want to read all reviews first, and see real hands on use and opinions on forums, etc... before I will buy it.

I get it, that the spec's of the new Nexus 4 are much better than the current Galaxy Nexus, it is easily twice the phone, in hardware spec's. Double the RAM...double the cores, and overall much better performing processors, bigger and better battery, etc...

But maybe it is the design, looking almost exactly like last years Nexus, not getting me excited ? Or maybe it is the new Nexus 4 OS Android 4.2 is still just a slight update to Jellybean, nothing brand spanking new like a 5.0 Key Lime Pie, which is not getting me excited ? Could be I am not excited about the screen in the Nexus 4 ? It won't be the #1 top screen ever, but supposed to be really good, but not blow your balls off cool. The One X which is 6 months old is supposed to have better screen than the Nexus 4. And LG making the new Nexus 4, doesn't really bother me, but...it doesn't get me overly excited either, as would a new comer like Sony or even Asus for a Nexus phone.

I don't know. What will the current Galaxy Nexus running 4.2 be like ? I am sure pretty fast, where as the Nexus 4 will be even faster and smoother, but like in the real world, will that performance difference be that much noticeable, except in benchmark scores ? Screen wise, the Galaxy Nexus with AMOLED has deep blacks and vibrant colors, but the Nexus 4 should be better outside, and more realistic colors. battery should be better on the Nexus 4. But overall side by side in every day use, will there be a massive difference between the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 ?

Funny I feel the same first galaxy I won't be buying.

The event wasn't postponed -- Sandy IS the event. They're showing off their new cloud! :D

But maybe it is the design, looking almost exactly like last years Nexus, not getting me excited ?
tumblr_lfc52q50aX1qzciip.jpg

lolwut-1.png

Sorry about watermark, but that front shot was made from scratch by me

The event wasn't postponed -- Sandy IS the event. They're showing off their new cloud! :D

tumblr_lfc52q50aX1qzciip.jpg

lolwut-1.png

Sorry about watermark, but that front shot was made from scratch by me

LOL, like they couldn't change up the design a little instead of making it EXACTLY THE SAME. Atleast copy the SIII design instead of the Galaxy Nexus.

Back