What Can thermaltake Do For You?

I have been a BIG fan of ThermalTake products for a long time... especially coolers and cases. I visit the TT store almost daily, to browse the specials, clearance, and B-stock. I would say that almost every computer I have built in the past 5 years has had at least one TT item... usually several.

My personal HTPC is built into a DH202 case. Excellent product... with the exception of the horrific Soundgraph MediaLAB components. I realize that TT has no control over the third-party Soundgraph components, but it is the ONE bad taste I have ever had regarding a ThermalTake product. I, like so many other PC enthusiasts, have been extremely frustrated and would love to see some resolution to the multitude of issues. Take a stroll through the Soundgraph iMon/iMedia forums and you will see what I mean.

I love the concept and innovation. I would just highly recommend that TT find better quality components to integrate into your product. If I could find a direct replacement for the LCD, IR receiver, remote, etc, I would throw all the Soundgraph crap right in the trash ;-)

:D

loving how much you are in this thread

Thank you,

I am trying to get all of your community feedback good or bad... I have thick skin and if we screw up well thats fine as well, knowones perfect but I wanna see what we can do to be better :D

I have been a BIG fan of ThermalTake products for a long time... especially coolers and cases. I visit the TT store almost daily, to browse the specials, clearance, and B-stock. I would say that almost every computer I have built in the past 5 years has had at least one TT item... usually several.

My personal HTPC is built into a DH202 case. Excellent product... with the exception of the horrific Soundgraph MediaLAB components. I realize that TT has no control over the third-party Soundgraph components, but it is the ONE bad taste I have ever had regarding a ThermalTake product. I, like so many other PC enthusiasts, have been extremely frustrated and would love to see some resolution to the multitude of issues. Take a stroll through the Soundgraph iMon/iMedia forums and you will see what I mean.

I love the concept and innovation. I would just highly recommend that TT find better quality components to integrate into your product. If I could find a direct replacement for the LCD, IR receiver, remote, etc, I would throw all the Soundgraph crap right in the trash ;-)

I havent seen this feedback before but im open to check it out... would you mind linking me to it please :D

Thank you

iMon manager: http://www.soundgraph.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

iMon w/ Win7: http://www.soundgraph.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Many other categories there, but these are the two that address my issues most often.
Since I got my TT DH202, 50% of the remote functions do not work, or work improperly. The EQ display has never worked right. iMon tends to crash frequently in Win7, even after a multitude of version updates. The "mouse" pad doesn't function properly in Win7 Media Center (left/right works, but not up/down). Chapter skip-fwd/back works in most media players, but doesnt index properly in Media Center. Media information has never displayed correctly from any source.

80% of the time, I end up using the wireless keyboard and mouse instead of the remote... which really sucks. :-(

EDIT: for the sake of mentioning it, I tested a Microsoft MCE remote and usb receiver and all functions worked perfectly. But the integrated IR receiver was a HUGE influence in my decision to purchase the DH202.

Last edited:
iMon manager: http://www.soundgraph.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

iMon w/ Win7: http://www.soundgraph.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Many other categories there, but these are the two that address my issues most often.
Since I got my TT DH202, 50% of the remote functions do not work, or work improperly. The EQ display has never worked right. iMon tends to crash frequently in Win7, even after a multitude of version updates. The "mouse" pad doesn't function properly in Win7 Media Center (left/right works, but not up/down). Chapter skip-fwd/back works in most media players, but doesnt index properly in Media Center. Media information has never displayed correctly from any source.

80% of the time, I end up using the wireless keyboard and mouse instead of the remote... which really sucks. :-(

EDIT: for the sake of mentioning it, I tested a Microsoft MCE remote and usb receiver and all functions worked perfectly. But the integrated IR receiver was a HUGE influence in my decision to purchase the DH202.

Thank you for the feedback, its things like this that help us better address future designs so we can hopefully avoid issues like this in the future.

It is nice to see a representative asking for feedback from a focus group like [H]. I didn't take the time to read the other posts so my apologies if my comments are redundant.

The TR2 430 W was the first PSU I ever bought when I was still a noob. Though I have always questioned its performance (due to some of the reviews), for the bare bones type system it was powering it never was a problem. I bought it in 2005 and it still runs today. With this said, as Danny Bui mentioned, if I was to pick up a standard PSU, I would probably go with Antec or Corsair (possibly Silverstone) over the TR2. Just more PSUs out to choose from.

I loved the style of many of your old cases and I was about to purchase the Armor Jr for my daughter a few years back but it was no longer being sold (in fact my order at one of the retailers was cancelled since they no longer carried it :( ). The new Armor cases just look too wild for me. Some of your old cases were nice because they did not fall into the "just a square box" sort of case without going overboard. For me, you hit the level of style just right with the old Armor. I need to look at your newest collection of cases since I haven't been looking at your recent line. If you have designes similar to Corsair's (I love their wire management capabilities in their cases), then I will seriously take a look.

Edit: I took a look at the Chaser. It seems like a nice case. Hmmmm....I do need a case soon (soon for me is like +/- 1.5 years :p )

Last edited:
It is nice to see a representative asking for feedback from a focus group like [H]. I didn't take the time to read the other posts so my apologies if my comments are redundant.

The TR2 430 W was the first PSU I ever bought when I was still a noob. Though I have always questioned its performance (due to some of the reviews), for the bare bones type system it was powering it never was a problem. I bought it in 2005 and it still runs today. With this said, as Danny Bui mentioned, if I was to pick up a standard PSU, I would probably go with Antec or Corsair (possibly Silverstone) over the TR2. Just more PSUs out to choose from.

I loved the style of many of your old cases and I was about to purchase the Armor Jr for my daughter a few years back but it was no longer being sold (in fact my order at one of the retailers was cancelled since they no longer carried it :( ). The new Armor cases just look too wild for me. Some of your old cases were nice because they did not fall into the "just a square box" sort of case without going overboard. For me, you hit the level of style just right with the old Armor. I need to look at your newest collection of cases since I haven't been looking at your recent line. If you have designes similar to Corsair's (I love their wire management capabilities in their cases), then I will seriously take a look.

Edit: I took a look at the Chaser. It seems like a nice case. Hmmmm....I do need a case soon (soon for me is like +/- 1.5 years :p )

Thank you for this feedback and I hope to help make better offerings for you in the future so that you feel much more comfortable with using our products :D

Has anyone pitched the idea of a modular case?

Backplane with/without holes for wc.
ps on top/bottom.
Sides with different size fans/ bulge for giant heatsinks.
w/wout sound deadening.

We agonize and customize every tiny little aspect of our computing lives, including the case. modded feel without breaking out the damn dremel.

I personally want one where the back plane of the motberboard sticks out of the top of the case. Or the front. Cisco finally figured out that everybody had their routers turned around backwards because all the ports were in the back.

Oh! As I browsed the ThermalTake Store again (part of my morning "daily deal" ritual), I was struck by another suggestion.

FREE SHIPPING :)

I can't tell you how many items I have purchased off your website, without any real need, JUST because it was on sale with free shipping. (I like having spare parts on hand, lol)
Probably just as many sale items that I have passed up, because after adding the shipping charge, it wasn't such an irresistible deal.

Oh, as a side note... one of my all time favorite products from ThermalTake has been the Soprano RS case. It is such a classy, elegant case. It is definitely my "go to" case for premium builds (non-gaming). Everyone that has received a computer from me in that case has LOVED it.

Oh! As I browsed the ThermalTake Store again (part of my morning "daily deal" ritual), I was struck by another suggestion.

FREE SHIPPING :)

I can't tell you how many items I have purchased off your website, without any real need, JUST because it was on sale with free shipping. (I like having spare parts on hand, lol)
Probably just as many sale items that I have passed up, because after adding the shipping charge, it wasn't such an irresistible deal.

Oh, as a side note... one of my all time favorite products from ThermalTake has been the Soprano RS case. It is such a classy, elegant case. It is definitely my "go to" case for premium builds (non-gaming). Everyone that has received a computer from me in that case has LOVED it.

I will see what I can do for this.

I'm going to make a fairly outlandish suggestion but one that I belive would benefit the high end PSU market in general.

Approach your rivals and OEMs and agree a standard for modular cabling. The current situation where one has to replace all the internal cabling because they bought a new PSU and where there is the risk of frying stuff if modular cables get mixed up is just crazy.

Hello,

Thermaltake is actively working on getting community feedback on existing and future Thermaltake products. We would like you as the enthusiast community to provide feedback on your experience with present Thermaltake product, and also any product, Idea or changes you would like to see from Thermaltake in the future. Thermaltake is here to support the enthusiast community and we would like to address any issues or concerns you have so that your experience with Thermaltake is excellent and our products will improve to better suit your needs. Please feel free to discuss, comment or provide suggestions as we are here for you and we are willing to work directly with you to assist with any issues that may arise. We have opened a Thermaltake support section in the Thermaltake forums so that you have a place to seek assistance or make suggestions on existing Thermaltake products or what you would like to see from Thermaltake.

Thank you
Thermaltake Enthusiasts support

Get your products here in Brazil at a reasonable price and I'm SURE you'll sell like madness.

I'm going to make a fairly outlandish suggestion but one that I belive would benefit the high end PSU market in general.

Approach your rivals and OEMs and agree a standard for modular cabling. The current situation where one has to replace all the internal cabling because they bought a new PSU and where there is the risk of frying stuff if modular cables get mixed up is just crazy.

We try to keep our cables the same on every PSU we offer so it is easily to swap.

Get your products here in Brazil at a reasonable price and I'm SURE you'll sell like madness.

I can see what we can do for this, but its more the distribution channels that would send it your way, as for pricing thats a lil tougher as sometimes your local chains can have a markup.

i have always liked thermaltake products by look but ended up steering away due to reviews and peoples input...

well i bought the thermaltake bigwater se kits... 2 of them on clearance from newegg a while back and so did my friend.. and when they came in they were new in box!!!!!
now i know .. people didnt give great regard to them... but i had one in my p4 3.2 gaming rig to which i just threw out.... (i know im gonna get a lot of gripe on that one.. in sig.. p180 case) and it worked as it should...
but i built another computer with the second kit.. q6600 (in sig) and it is still running strong.. no issues ever with it.. everything has been working.. no maintenance, no pump issues, no nothing....

now im looking at the thermaltake level 10 gt or thermaltake armour + lc cases....
i read a lot here about how they dont have as much room as XXXXX or they are too short or whatever... but i take those opinions and see if i can go around that.

my next case will be one of the 2 listed above and i will make it work!!!!!!

would be nice to see thermaltake setup up all of their games... radio shack used to sell thermaltake products... where i bought a few things like clips and stuff.....

now on the throwing out part.. i would have offered up here but i see no positives on any of it.. i really liked the 5 1/4 resivoir and pump in one....
but my bud gave me his 2 kits as he is now back air cooled (different reasons as they work)... but all has been sitting and getting old so i just chucked them in the trash with my gaming rig... just old crap isnt worth selling or worth my time bothering so out it went.. cleaning up the garage i have thrown out stuff that others would cringe on .... oh well

The main thing with the Bigwater offerings is to recognize the purpose as they are made as a replacement for stock or air coolers... When it comes to complete custom loops well there are plenty of great manufacturers out there and who knows one day we may look at offering LCS components for the top tier all out custom builds... but anyone who buys a bigwater expecting it to match up to a fully custom loop will likely be disappointed as the units are more made as easy to install or introductory to liquid cooling options.

this is one of those cases where you gotta have the right tool for the job.

i really like what thermaltake is doing with their tt esports products. i know the meka g1 has had mixed reviews on geekhack, but i think all around its a pretty good product. i mean the guys who like it REALLY like it. i havent checked out the other products in the line, but i like that you are offering a similar line to companies like razer, basically keyboards, mice, mouse mats and headphones. i dunno how your stuff stacks up, but competition is good.

i agree with the posts about case design though. TT products are usually way over the top. personally as an adult i have a an appreciation for more subdued aesthetics. i still havent found a case that i think is perfect, i think the lian li a05b comes close to what i want, but its still not as good as it could be. i guess in general though i would appreciate something more like a mercedes/bmw and less like a fighter jet. it doesnt have to be compicated, but elegance is key.

i really like what thermaltake is doing with their tt esports products. i know the meka g1 has had mixed reviews on geekhack, but i think all around its a pretty good product. i mean the guys who like it REALLY like it. i havent checked out the other products in the line, but i like that you are offering a similar line to companies like razer, basically keyboards, mice, mouse mats and headphones. i dunno how your stuff stacks up, but competition is good.

i agree with the posts about case design though. TT products are usually way over the top. personally as an adult i have a an appreciation for more subdued aesthetics. i still havent found a case that i think is perfect, i think the lian li a05b comes close to what i want, but its still not as good as it could be. i guess in general though i would appreciate something more like a mercedes/bmw and less like a fighter jet. it doesnt have to be compicated, but elegance is key.

I personally use a G1 at work and at home for a reason :)

Then again we ran it over with a BMW as well and it still types just fine :)

as for the chassis, give us time I will do everything I can to offer soemthing a lil more classy for you guys :D

We try to keep our cables the same on every PSU we offer so it is easily to swap.

Wait, when did this started happening? This is the first I've heard of this to be honest. So I can swap between different modular Thermaltake PSUs without having to redo the cables layout in my case?

Wait, when did this started happening? This is the first I've heard of this to be honest. So I can swap between different modular Thermaltake PSUs without having to redo the cables layout in my case?

I cannot make a blanket statement like that but from the models I have tested (the newer ones) I have used same cabling without issues.... but when I have a chance I will test whatever models I have in our lab to see if any do not match the layout.

Please remember guys this is not just about chassis, we have multiple lines, take a look at them and if there is something we dont offer or a feature one of our products does not have that you feel would be beneficial to you please let us know..

Here are our basic lineup as of now:

Thermaltake:
Chassis
Power Supply
Cooler
Fans
Storage accessories/Docking stations
hot swap multi drive bay mounts (Max Series)

then we have our gaming peripherals

Tt eSPORTS:

Keyboards
Mice
Headsets
Lan Bag
Mouse Pads

So please feel free to look over our complete line and let us know any of the above what you would like to see different or what you feel would work better for you so we can look into it and see what we can improve.

thanks guys

I guess that is everything, I know weve gotten ALOT of feedback from the chassis side of things, maybe I will make a dedicated thread to coolers to get some feedback at a more pointed area.

Thanks guys

below is not a rant or arguing or starting anything... since the topic is.. what can thermaltake do for you... you asked...

well here i a question...

i looked at the thermaltake warranty page...
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Support_warranty.aspx
i get it that things break... but an example here..

i know not a lot of people would say the thermaltake bigwater se kit is any good.. it has done me good for 4 years and i have always raved about it now until last night...

cpu water block leaked onto video card.. took the machine out... upon inspection i also had a bad pump.. it was intermittently working... i noticed my computer off different times of the day for the last few weeks.. thought it was the apc-1000 that has bad batteries in it .. they went too..

so now i need to buy a water block and pump in addition to try and get video card/ mobo replaced under warranty or buy...

i looked at the warranty page... water cooled items are 1 year... well if it is a good pump and or water block.. why such a short warranty?

well i like the 5 1/4 single height reservoir on this kit.. but the pump died (i have a spare and you have to bang it to get it to go and it is super noisy) and water block leaked...

so now im not mad... but now im thinking i should have steered into the direction given by others that thermaltake water cooled items are not up to the specs we need in the quality department....

so if i have to buy a new mobo and vid card.. im going air cooled again... if xfx replaces the mobo.. im going with a different vendor for pump and cpu water block..

i was considering the thermaltake armour water cooled case setups for a while now.. but im now thinking against it.....

I'd like to see a self contained water cooling setup for graphics cards. I's also have you look into the issues that Marc had with the ssd slots in the level 10 case they recently evaluated.

Last edited:
below is not a rant or arguing or starting anything... since the topic is.. what can thermaltake do for you... you asked...

well here i a question...

i looked at the thermaltake warranty page...
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Support_warranty.aspx
i get it that things break... but an example here..

i know not a lot of people would say the thermaltake bigwater se kit is any good.. it has done me good for 4 years and i have always raved about it now until last night...

cpu water block leaked onto video card.. took the machine out... upon inspection i also had a bad pump.. it was intermittently working... i noticed my computer off different times of the day for the last few weeks.. thought it was the apc-1000 that has bad batteries in it .. they went too..

so now i need to buy a water block and pump in addition to try and get video card/ mobo replaced under warranty or buy...

i looked at the warranty page... water cooled items are 1 year... well if it is a good pump and or water block.. why such a short warranty?

well i like the 5 1/4 single height reservoir on this kit.. but the pump died (i have a spare and you have to bang it to get it to go and it is super noisy) and water block leaked...

so now im not mad... but now im thinking i should have steered into the direction given by others that thermaltake water cooled items are not up to the specs we need in the quality department....

so if i have to buy a new mobo and vid card.. im going air cooled again... if xfx replaces the mobo.. im going with a different vendor for pump and cpu water block..

i was considering the thermaltake armour water cooled case setups for a while now.. but im now thinking against it.....

Hello,

if you look at the market most LCS coolers carry a industry standard of 1 year limited warranty.

I will look into if we can extend this in the future.

I'd like to see a self contained water cooling setup for graphics cards. I's also have you look into the issues that Marc had with the ssd slots in the level 10 case they recently evaluated.

Which issues are you referencing? I believe I already confronted this... the backplane is just an interface or bridge connecting the cable to the SSD drive...

it is likely either the drive was slightly shifted causing a not so solid connection or intermittendt connection.... but if the backplane was bad we could easily ship a replacement which is quite easy to replace if needed.

We are here to support you if there is an issue but the sata one referenced is an easy one.

What TT can do for us ? ; keep parts in stock and sell it, I purchase quite enough TT cases and last year I call to have a rad for a Kandalf LCS and the person on the phone answer me that TT don't sell spare parts, they keep just enough parts for warranty replacement. It’s not acceptable for an expensive case like this one to not have spare parts.

This is not a complain I downgraded the case to Air Cooling since that time and use it for a VM server, but it's something you have to be fix. customers services is the key to returning customers.

My water cooling endeavors all started with a bigwater 735. I have grown since and replaced almost everything except pump/res (which have been good to me so far).

The original CPU block cracked but no leaks, so I replaced before causing problems. My GPU block shattered at the fitting while installing (not even trying to over tighten :( ), I have used three Tt GPU blocks now, and that was the only one that gave me issue. I've also used various Tt air coolers in the past without issue.

For what it's worth, I always considered Tt to be a middle of the road product line-up. Not great, but a pretty good value, which is why I never really put money into many other Tt products.

oh, and I've never been a fan of the proprietary fittings. Compression fittings are a pain to me, I would like an option for barbs.

What TT can do for us ? ; keep parts in stock and sell it, I purchase quite enough TT cases and last year I call to have a rad for a Kandalf LCS and the person on the phone answer me that TT don't sell spare parts, they keep just enough parts for warranty replacement. It’s not acceptable for an expensive case like this one to not have spare parts.

This is not a complain I downgraded the case to Air Cooling since that time and use it for a VM server, but it's something you have to be fix. customers services is the key to returning customers.

I can look into this, but it is true taht specific model of radiator is not available seperate for purchase but if it is possible I will definitely work on adding it.

My water cooling endeavors all started with a bigwater 735. I have grown since and replaced almost everything except pump/res (which have been good to me so far).

The original CPU block cracked but no leaks, so I replaced before causing problems. My GPU block shattered at the fitting while installing (not even trying to over tighten :( ), I have used three Tt GPU blocks now, and that was the only one that gave me issue. I've also used various Tt air coolers in the past without issue.

For what it's worth, I always considered Tt to be a middle of the road product line-up. Not great, but a pretty good value, which is why I never really put money into many other Tt products.

We try to explore every avenue from the more value based products to teh more higher end offerings, that is why i am here if there is an are you feel we could improve or offer please as my OP says let me know which product it is and I will be happy to look into what we can do to improve.

as for bigwater you are spot on, it is good entry level/mid LCS but when going for extreme youa re liekly going to venture into a much different custom loop

oh, and I've never been a fan of the proprietary fittings. Compression fittings are a pain to me, I would like an option for barbs.

Let me see what we can do for this. I know I am working on trying to offer products taht fit more of the higher end category and if we are able to enter this venue it may also carry with it the G1/4" fittings as well :D

I will do what I can guys

So far so good on everything I have bought from Thermaltake. I love both of my Armor and Armor+ cases, although I would like to see an all black interior and LED light controls on the fans.

The first PSU I had was a 750W Toughpower and it is still going strong 24/7 with Boinc/F@H stressing it for the most part for the last 5 years. The only thing I would change on this and I think you already have done is sleeving closer to the individual connectors and especially coming out of the PSU. Better efficiency is the most important thing in my book though since I run my computers 24/7 with DC projects. Maybe go with a completely modular design including the main power cable that so many other companies forget.

Also had one of your VGA coolers and it worked flawlessly on my HD4850 that once again I wish there was LED light control.

I guess if I was to have a major change overall on the product line it would be LED light control, because most of your company’s items have many bright LEDs, which are nice, but at other times (such at night in a bedroom) it is annoying having bright LEDs on and I come up with creative ways to block the light. I guess I would like to see some of your product line without all the bright lights that are on the majority of your products.

So far so good on everything I have bought from Thermaltake. I love both of my Armor and Armor+ cases, although I would like to see an all black interior and LED light controls on the fans.

The first PSU I had was a 750W Toughpower and it is still going strong 24/7 with Boinc/F@H stressing it for the most part for the last 5 years. The only thing I would change on this and I think you already have done is sleeving closer to the individual connectors and especially coming out of the PSU. Better efficiency is the most important thing in my book though since I run my computers 24/7 with DC projects. Maybe go with a completely modular design including the main power cable that so many other companies forget.

Also had one of your VGA coolers and it worked flawlessly on my HD4850 that once again I wish there was LED light control.

I guess if I was to have a major change overall on the product line it would be LED light control, because most of your company’s items have many bright LEDs, which are nice, but at other times (such at night in a bedroom) it is annoying having bright LEDs on and I come up with creative ways to block the light. I guess I would like to see some of your product line without all the bright lights that are on the majority of your products.

First of all thank you for the support and thank you for letting us know your experience..

as for the LED control I can definitely look into that.

EDIT: oh and LOL at the name :D

Hello,

if you look at the market most LCS coolers carry a industry standard of 1 year limited warranty.

I will look into if we can extend this in the future.

oh i understand.. ill add some math..

1 day = 365 days..

your support = 365 days...

parts..
pump = 50,000 hrs..

50,000/24 = 2083.333333333333 / 365 (1yr warranty) = 5.707762557077626 years

now when i do math... and see ratings.. i believe them beyond warranties and that works.. i bought a 1996 camaro with 3miles on it... with a 3yr/36,000 mile warranty i put 12 years 204,350 miles on it.. still ran needed a driveshaft so i bought a silverado...

anyway back to my point...

when i first saw the kit.. i figured.. ok warranty i dont need to look into.. i saw this hr rating... at 5+years... im good... first pump started clanking and stopping till punched about 2 years in... next pump lasted 2 1 year... but both kits bought in 2008 or 2009 so out of warranty... plus open box so out of warranty...

I understand companies dont want to make great warranties... and you are right...
industry standard is 1yr...
so stay with industry standard and dont stand out...

like said.. i wanted to show the odds of others saying the bigwater se kit was bad.. well they proved me wrong.. and i will look elsewhere other than thermaltake..

and with that...

waterblock = $40
pump = $60

so $100 savings by thermaltake = a customer thinking of thermaltake armour watercooled case, no longer looking at it...

i dont mean to be rude if taken that way... im just telling you how myself, as a customer, treat everything in this world... i get burnt and move on to the competitor.. (unless chevy.. love my chevies...).....

u asked the question so im just telling you... seems thermaltake wants to stay in the standard instead of above and beyond...

and im getting ready to test my machine... rubbing alcoholed the mobo... if the board is dead.. i got to buy a new board so going air cooled... if mobo saved.. im going to get the bigwater 850i pump and get another bigwater se cpu waterblock...
so im not stale....

Back