What brand is usually good OCZ vs CORSAIR vs CRUCIAL ?

deddyeka

Limp Gawd
any suggestion ?

in place where i live ONLY CORSAIR.

ocz, crucial all 1% only

Crucial. They make the memory chips other companies often use. Plus their customer service is usually very good.

well, to be technically correct, crucial is a part of micron, who makes the fastest ddr2 chips for sale right now, but yes :D

all three companies are good, just know which chips are in the kit you're buying. stick to micron, preferably D9GMH or D9GKX ;)

Has anyone actually found RAM that isn't good? I mean, DDR2-800 at 4-4-4 or 5-5-5 (as long as it works) is going to perform pretty much like every other brand on the market.

what about GSKILL ?

there 2gb x 2 pcs for 119 .... hmm GSKILL 5-5-5 ?

is that good ?
price performance ?

G.Skill is great. The cheaper models might not overclock a whole lot, but it will run what it says it runs very solid. My DDR2 800 5-5-5 G.Skill will do 876Mhz 5-5-5 easily though.

If you're not OCing, most RAM is acceptable. If you are OCing, I like something with Micron chips. I have Ballistix since they cost me $50 for 2 GB. Beats the hell out of the $150 I paid for the pair of Buffalo Firestix I run with the Ballistix.

G.Skill is great. The cheaper models might not overclock a whole lot, but it will run what it says it runs very solid.

QFT. I've had absolutely no problems with my current G.Skill RAM which I have running at stock. I also had Corsair in my last rig and that was (and still is) rock solid for 2+ years.

depends really. i'd take corsair dominators over the crucial value ram, so it's not as simple as a mathematical definition ;)

Yes it does depend on what you want to do with it, i put them in the rank i personally believe they fall in for example...i loathe corsair with all my being...yet i'm a crucial reseller...yet i'm runnig GSkill in my current gaming rig, it's never just black and white ;)

what about samsung? do they make their own chips?
i'm using some cheap samsung ddr2-800 @1000 6-6-6-12 1.8V slow timings i know.

I think i've got all the chip mfg covered...they are samsung, hynix, micron and infineon. I may be missing one but, ram is like laptops, tons of brands but really only a few manufacturers.

For me it depends on who I'm buying it for, what it's use will be and what it costs.

Generally, I only use Corsair XMS in my performance systems. Basically, this will be any system I build for myself with new parts. Usually it will be my main system but not always. The reason I use it is because I've never had any trouble with it. I usually run into CPU limitations before I run into RAM limitations with my overclocks. I haven't run into memory compatibility problems with it either.

For a normal system for someone else that won't be overclocked I'll usually pick up Crucial as long as the price is right. Crucial/Micron standard RAM has also been good to me. It just plain works and I haven't had any compatibility problems either. Then again, if I'm buying Crucial, I do a lookup for the proper RAM for the motherboard or system using their online tool. The times I will pass on Crucial RAM for a system like this is if I can find something like Corsair XMS for cheaper.

Those are the two main "brands" I buy. I'll use just about anything which gets thrown my way, though. Then again, most RAM that's been thrown my way is PC66-PC133. I don't have a lot of DDR and so far no DDR2 RAM given to me for free. I just run memtest and make sure everything is playing nice together. These instances are usually just my Frankenstein systems which I throw together from spare parts for one reason or another.

Has anyone actually found RAM that isn't good? I mean, DDR2-800 at 4-4-4 or 5-5-5 (as long as it works) is going to perform pretty much like every other brand on the market.
I've been getting a few repeatable errors with one of the 1GB PC6400 modules of the OCZ 2 GB dual-channel pair I picked up at Fry's for $20 after rebate last Friday, but the $5 AR 1GB PC5300 Crucial module has tested fine.

I've also had failures with Mushkin, K-byte, and Kingston -- most of my Kingston PC3200 512MB modules failed.

No failures with Crucial, Corsair, or PNY.

All those results were with the modules running at their SPD defaults or slower, with no overclocking.

Hi,

I just registered to add to this thread. I've a post with the full details on the OCZ forums at http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=307037#post307037.

The short version is that I had 2GB of their PC2-6400 Platinum XTC memory in my Quad core PC for a year no problems and wanted to add another 2GB. I purchased 3 pairs, one after the other, each one having to be returned for RMA. The first pair failed Prime 95 and were confirmed faulty by the reseller, the second pair wouldn't even boot my PC and were lost on return so can't be tested by the reseller. The final pair failed a Prime 95 test after about 10 minutes and failed MemTest with a screen full of red errors.

I ran Prime 95 with my existing 2GB of Platinum XTC memory in just to check nothing came up and it ran overnight without a hitch. OCZ are saying its impossible to have 3 faulty pairs in a row but I know the first pair was faulty because the seller checked them. Obviously I wouldn't buy OCZ again. Having read the posts here I think it would be better to just buy 4GB of new matched RAM (another brand of course), the prices are very low at the moment.

I've had numerous crucial kits die on me, and due to that and their customer service I won't be purchasing anything crucial from them in the future.
OCZ and Corsair have done me well in the past and are serving my boxes just fine now, so I would have to rate them fairly high on my list.

Back