What apps do you have for android?

TheBuzzer

HACK THE WORLD!
Just wondering what apps do you have installed for the droid.

There are tons of apps but only a few seems even good.

Here is my list:

applanet
Abduction! World Attack
Abduction! 2
Pac-Man Championship Edition
Radiant
Poclet Puppy
WYSE

Google everything (Goggles, Earth, Sky Map, Translate, Maps, Voice, Shopper)
Tasker
Ringdroid
NFL Mobile
EStrongs File Explorer
EStrongs Task Manager
SetCPU - needs root
Barnacle WiFi Tether - needs root
Droidlight
Multicon
Pandora

Tasker is probably the single greatest app I could possibly recommend, esp to anyone wishing to automate every aspect of their phone while also optimizing battery life. Get it now.

Motorola Droid

Cyanogenmod (also I use Simply Stunning but I'm on CM at the moment) w/ Slayher's 1.1GHz kernel
ClockworkRecovery
ROM Manager

AdFree
ASTRO
Barcode Scanner+Bank
DroidLight
GasBuddy
Jewels
LauncherPro
Pandora
SetCPU
Shazam
Swiftkey
Titanium Backup
TuneWiki
Vlingo
Voice
Waze

plus what CM comes with

These are only apps I really use (non build in stuff):
ebuddy - to chat on aim
Sketcher - doodling program, actually lots of fun even if you suck at drawing.
'Robo Defence' - tower game, was fun for a bit but kinda gets old
'Solitaire' - real simple solitaire/freecell/spider app, play it all the time.
'LineUp' - kinda meh game but my sister is into it so I gotta beat her high scores
'Notepad' - simple is good
'Nav Launcher' - Best app ever. In options set it to load fav list on launch, enter your common destinations, eg 'Home', and thats it. Then you get in car, want to go home? 2 clicks. 1 to launch Nav Launcher (super small app that takes 0.0001s to load), one to click the big home button, DONE! No having to wait for maps to load, then waiting for gps to enable and crap, so damn slow.

I'm waiting for the Captivate to be available here (few days hopefully) so I don't have an Android phone to test it with yet... has anyone tried the Tapatalk forum reader app? It crashes my BB, but from what I've read, it's awesome on Android. Also is the [H] forum supported?

Without repeating others' suggestions:

Fring - Used to be an awesome universal messenger that supported Skype video across 3G or Wifi across all carriers (so you could actually do video chat from an Evo4G to an iPhone4, or even a non-FFC phone and use the back camera), until Skype forced them to remove support. :( Still, it's by far the most power efficient universal messenger app I've found (so efficient that I simply leave it on 24/7, logged into AIM, WLM, and gtalk), and I'm eagerly awaiting them to add video chat support through AIM and WLM. I've also tested eBuddy, AIM+, and a couple others. AIM+ was pretty cool as it was the only one that allowed multiple locations of WLM (as in, I could be logged into both my PC and my phone at the same time on the same account, which Fring cannot do), however it was probably the biggest power hog; I once left it on overnight, doing absolutely nothing, and it drained my battery ~20% more than usual.

Matlab Remote, which removed my last legitimate (ie. non-gaming) reason to carry around a laptop.

Bubble - a leveling tool. Use the accelerometer and calibrate option to make it more accurate.

Pure Grid Calendar and Pure Calendar - two apps/widgets that I would be completely lost without. Bonus: it doesn't look like ass, which seemingly a fault of all other calendar/schedule apps.

Pulse - News aggregator with a pretty cool interface. It could still use a little work though.

Nook and Kindle for Android - Pretty self explanatory.

Audio Manager - kind of cool visual audio control widget thing, unfortunately you cannot use the sliders on the widget to directly control sound; it'll simply open up the audio manager app. I have a suspicion it's not possible to do that from a widget currently (at least on 2.1).

System Panel - a very cool monitoring tool/app manager/installer. Kind of an all-in-one thing. Does graphs and pie charts of battery usage. Does all the work of advance task manager as well.

Power Tutor - has cool pie charts of energy usage, in joules. One of the few apps that tell you how much power your wifi/3g is using up.

Unfortunately those two apps above (SystemPanel with monitoring on and Power Tutor) use up a lot of power in and of themselves. They're not really that useful once you have your system running the way you like.

Beautiful Widgets - I like the weather/clock widget that was ripped right off of HTC Sense.

Metal Detector - completely useless but funny app; detects nearby metal. Yes, it actually works on most metals, but the range is very poor.

Layar - enhanced reality app - very cool. There's way too much that it does to really describe in one post.

I dont have a lot at the moment...I add them and delete them just to see what they do..lol

As of right now, I have the following:

Dock Simulator - Great app if ya dont want to spend the coin on a legitimate Dock but want the functionality.

Astro File Manager - A file manager app that allows a bit better control of your phones files.

Simple FaceBook Chat - Androids FaceBook App doesnt have a chat applet built-in like the iPod/iPhone

DroidLight...by far the best app for a Droid X if you want to blind low flying aircraft...or the spouse in bed...lol

Wireless Tether - Needs Root! - Great app to take advantage of the Wi-Fi Hot Spot capability of the Droid 2, Droid X and Fascinate...download speeds are pretty good depending on coverage area.

PayPal - Just to be able to log in and check balances/move money.

IMDB - Awesome app I carried over from my iPod Touch, great for diggin in to films

Pandora - Streaming audio catered to your preferences, a MUST HAVE app!

Dolphin HD Browser - Makes the Internet speedy, pretty and better than Opera!

Double Twist - Audio App that plays just about anything you throw at it...

Awesome Drop - Works a lot like DropBox...same concept

DropBox - Great for porting items back and forth when you arent at your home PC.

Tippy Tipper - Quick little app for figuring tips...

Bar Code Scanner - Cause ya just have to...just to see if it works, and it does about 90% of the time.

250 Solitaire - Yep, not a mis-print...250 Solitaire Card Games!

Paper Toss - Highly Addictive!

Zedge - Ringtones and Background images for downloading and using on your phone...not great IMO, would rather make my own ringtones

RingDroid - Ringtone maker, very easy to use and does what its supposed to.

Sticky Notes - Notepad app for quick reminders

Break The Blocks - Block breaker game...decent time waster.

Google Sky Map - Astronomy for the illiterates..lol Seriously, a great little app that works off the GPS to accurately show you the constellations and planets.

Google Voice - Use it to take the place of Verizons voicemail...now I have Visual Voicemail for free!

YouTube - Just for quick vid searches when I am bored. Will probably swap it out for the VEVO app since it has more HD content.

nzbmobile - I use it to control my htpc downloads. Probably the worst looking program in the world but it gets the job done. I can't wait for someone to step up and get a decent sab/nzb app.

Pandora - I use it as a widget, unlike Slacker it doesn't run in the background when I'm not using it. I stopped using slacker because it started whenever the heck it felt like and killed my battery.+

Dictionary.com app

Simple Unit Converter - makes length, weight, volume conversions. I literally use it every day at work.+

Air control Lite - An addicting air traffic control game. I plan on paying for the full version even though the Lite version does everything I want....gotta show support for the developers.

Calorie Counter - awesome app for keeping your calories in check. I fight mma and grapple and the older I get the harder it is to stay on weight. I used iFit on the iPhone when I had shoulder surgery to keep my weight in check for the year I couldn't work out. My buddy has lost 50 lbs using the same program and will be doing his first Tri next month.

Car Home/Desk Home - Samsung apps that simplify the interface for car use.+

Dolphin Browser - Lots of tweaks and settings for this browser make it invaluable. I maily use this when I want to view a page in Desktop mode rather than being forced to a crappy mobile site.

Google Sky Map - awesome app if the GPS actually worked in my Vibrant.+

Mint.com - I use this for tracking my spending although their web interface is much better

Movies - Browse trailers, movie times, and order tickets

Ringdroid - I only used this once for making my ringtone but thought I'd post it since making ringtones is something people ask a lot about

Shazam/Sound Hound - music identifying apps. I use the lite versions.

AllShare - stream videos, music, and pictures to my xbox, tv, computer, etc. Good substitute since Samsung incorrectly assumed we didn't want HDMI out ports.

Fancy Widgets - gets me the Sense clock and weather UI while allowing me to keep TouchWiz.+

XBMC Remote - I use the heck out of this program for my linux HTPC install. It's reliable, fast, and has a ton of features. Works better than my RF remote. Playing youtube/video streams from my phone on the computer is awesome.

Shopper – paid for itself the first time I used it.

Games:

Space Physics - fun physics game....not much replayability though

Winds of Steel - nice WW2 3D flying game. I got the demo and don't play it much....mentioning it because a lot of people complain about the lack of good games.

Guns'n'Golry - fun take on tower defense

Homerun Battle 3D - Addicting homerun game. Great for killing a few minutes in waiting rooms.

Cubes (beta) - [H] member's app, check it out.

Blow Up - physics game + explosives, nuff said. Very challenging, highly addictive.

Gangstar, Let's Golf - Two gameloft games I can't get enough of.

Angry Birds - it's in Beta right now but it's unbelievably addicting

ForzaDroid - Forza setup calculator. Good for getting a good starting point for setups.

Pandora was removed from my phone the moment it requested full access to my contacts. Not an app I trust giving such info.

The only one I'd add is Shoot Me which is another free app from Market. It enables screen captures and then can upload/sync to picasa or facebook if you care too. Its a bit quicker and easier than going thru sdk. It kinda reminds me of the old days when everyone wanted to see your desktop or even more [H] like your cpuid shot.
snap20100917_185002.png

snap20100917_184955.png

The only one I'd add is Shoot Me which is another free app from Market. It enables screen captures and then can upload/sync to picasa or facebook if you care too. Its a bit quicker and easier than going thru sdk. It kinda reminds me of the old days when everyone wanted to see your desktop or even more [H] like your cpuid shot.
snap20100917_185002.png

snap20100917_184955.png

What phone?

Close, yeah I got a fascinate. I don't actually use ATK for app killing. I did use it so I could see whats still running as I was removing the bloatware

All great suggestions.

Try MixZing instead of the default player. It's much much better plus it has a really decent EQ.

I just realized I have a lot of crap on my phone. How about the non standard stuff I haven't seen mentioned...

Games:
Trap! (anyone remember Jezzball?)
Bonsai Blast (read: Zuma)
Dotter
Millionaire

Media:
Stream Furious (I can get my local AM stations' web streams)
Meridian (media player)
Onion News Network :)
Scanner Radio is very interesting

Google stuff:
My Tracks is pretty awesome

Tools:
SMS Popup
Voice Recorder (has a widget)
Battery Life (battery widget)

Worthless stuff I have on my phone because I can:
Ultrasound
Some super mario bro sound board

Looks like he has an Epic. Might want to ditch Advanced Task Killer though...

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

All those types of anti-task killer articles neglect a few things:

1) RAM consumes power when on, period. Even if the data in a memory cell is not being used, it's still consuming power. That's the big thing with LPDDR2; it's advertised as using LESS (but not NO) power than LPDDR1 found in other smart phones when memory is not being used.

2) No empirical data, ever. If they really wanted to prove a point, they could just do some testing, but the results will likely destroy their argument.

3) If your memory is full and you need more memory, yes, Android will kill unused tasks, but guess what? That degrades performance at the time. Freeing up a portion of memory at the moment you need it is not as fast as simply having that memory available. It costs you cycles.

That particular article also assumes that your task killer kills things it shouldn't (stuff which is needed which generally causes those apps to restart that process anyway), which should not happen if you set it up correctly.

Let me try to list a few that haven't already been mentioned...

Floating Image - Really cool image viewer than can pull from local folders, facebook, flickr, etc.
Root Explorer - File manager with a very clean interface that allows access to system folders/files and has the ability to easily set file permissions.
SwitchPro - Extremely customizable settings toggle widget.

Games:
Every Gameloft game
Carrom3D Pro - Excellent pool game with great graphics.
Galcon

Well I just discovered there's a sirius xm app for android phones and it rocks. I called sirius and reactivated my account after they offered me a $5 a month deal for hardware and online listening lol. So now I have sirius back in my car, on my office computer and on my phone when I'm working in the shop. Its vet handy to have and kicks regular radio butt
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Didn't see anyone mention my favorite emulator apps, so here ya go:

Snesoid & psx4droid

They both have trial versions that work great, just don't let you load from saves. Full version enables that

The full version of Angry Birds is available for free now. Thought it was worth mentioning.

ConvertPad, Note Everything, aDyno and Firefox.

Galcon looks identical to GalaxyIR which may have been mentioned here before

All those types of anti-task killer articles neglect a few things:

1) RAM consumes power when on, period. Even if the data in a memory cell is not being used, it's still consuming power. That's the big thing with LPDDR2; it's advertised as using LESS (but not NO) power than LPDDR1 found in other smart phones when memory is not being used.

2) No empirical data, ever. If they really wanted to prove a point, they could just do some testing, but the results will likely destroy their argument.

3) If your memory is full and you need more memory, yes, Android will kill unused tasks, but guess what? That degrades performance at the time. Freeing up a portion of memory at the moment you need it is not as fast as simply having that memory available. It costs you cycles.

That particular article also assumes that your task killer kills things it shouldn't (stuff which is needed which generally causes those apps to restart that process anyway), which should not happen if you set it up correctly.

I'll just throw this out there in case anyone watching this thread wasn't aware...

You can no longer use task killer's in 2.2 because they changed it, took away the ability to just kill apps. Now you have to go through settings to stop them.

I use a task killer in 2.2 and it does manage to free up memory when I use it. Dev notes say it now works with Froyo. I'm no expert though, so take it for what it is worth...

Also, Angry Birds, is a must download on Android and if you are rooted the remake of Ultimate Droid 1.0 is the best ROM out there!

I use a task killer in 2.2 and it does manage to free up memory when I use it. Dev notes say it now works with Froyo. I'm no expert though, so take it for what it is worth...

What's the name of your task killer?

I know an n=1 is useless, but after getting rid of Advanced Task Killer, my Captivate crashes a lot less. It went from every few hours to almost never. I even spent time uninstalling apps one by one.

It may have been a combination, and I'm sure there are people with the opposite experience. For me, Advanced Task Killer didn't work out so well.

I know an n=1 is useless, but after getting rid of Advanced Task Killer, my Captivate crashes a lot less. It went from every few hours to almost never. I even spent time uninstalling apps one by one.

It may have been a combination, and I'm sure there are people with the opposite experience. For me, Advanced Task Killer didn't work out so well.
I am even scared of the while crashes a lot less...how often is less?
Mine crashes like once every blue moon and that is a miracle with the amount of crap I install and how many times I change Roms! :D

I am even scared of the while crashes a lot less...how often is less?
Mine crashes like once every blue moon and that is a miracle with the amount of crap I install and how many times I change Roms!

It went from once or twice a day to once in three weeks.

While trying to find the best apps, I tripped across a new and awesome site called Appolicious.

The home page is pretty busy, but once you sign up, you can start browsing other people's lists and use their cool iPhone or Droid apps to upload the apps installed on your mobile to the site. The mobile app also provides some basic recommendations based on what you already have installed. But the real value of the site is to rate and provide reviews for apps you've got - and browse similar users and their favorite apps and ratings.

After stocking up on my Top 10 Droid Apps (list below), I've found a TON of equally useful apps by browsing other people's lists, recommendations and ratings. Just look me up as "dugn" in the Android section and look around.

• Advanced Task Killer Pro (yeah, I don't agree with the post above saying it's bad)
  • App 2 SD (move apps to SD)
  • Mini Info
  • Wifi Analyzer
  • WordFeud
  • WordUp!
  • FlightView Flight Tracker
  • Facebook for Android
  • Astrid Task/To Do List
  • Pandora Radio

Last edited:
twidroyd pro twitter client, miren web browser, ninjas live, pocket legends, angry birds seasons, barnacle wifi tether, xperia flashlight wifi manager (great for making sure your connected to your home network) fancy widgets pro. planning on buying the tapatalk app. first time i checked the forums on my phone i got a notification that its supported by tha app. typed on my xperia x10.

Just added Words with Friends to my phone. It will be nice though when Wordfeud finishes its iPhone version, then I can try to get my iPhone friends to convert as I like Wordfeud better.

Back