Votes: 28 28.0%
  • Kaspersky Anti-Virus (Free)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Other [Please state below]

Votes: 38 38.0%

• Total voters

CKMorpheus

[H]ard|Gawd
Do you use the more popular Norton or McAfee products, or the powerful and free products such as AVG, Avast!, Kaspersky, etc... ?

Me personally, I am using Norton 2005 since my computer came with a free subscription for a year to it. Once that's done with I'm going to AVG.

Where I work, they used to use Trend Micro, which my boss liked a lot -- but the help desk center wanted their company to use McAfee, which we absolutely hate. :(

At home, I have Symantec. But the best virus protection is common sense.

AVG is free...and just as good as any other...slightly better interface than antivir or avast

Esets NOD32.

I use it personally, and use it for most of my clients networks...I used to use Symantec Corporate Edition.

Kapersky and BitDefender are two other top notch products..if I couldn't use NOD32, I'd use one of them.

As for freebie antivirus, it's getting hard to find a good one...AVG used to be decent in detection..but in the past year..not doing well in detection rates. Avast is great in detection..but I when I use it, I get tons of complaints about how painfully slow it makes peoples rigs. eTrust is quite lightweight, and I've been using that lately on the freebie installs.

You have forgotten ClamWin, a virus scanner that installs like a personal virus scanner, but is also used for email virus scanners for windows.

McAffee since it was free for me via my university.

While this little poll might not be professionally done, adding (free) I think would skew your data. Not sure what you are using it for.

da sponge said:
Eset NOD32.

Symantec Corporate at work Eset at home. Trying to get these crusty retards to look into Nod32 to replace Shitmantec as the Enterprise Solution.

AVG at home, McAfee at work

What do you use for home servers? I used to use AVG Free, but now it doesn't support server OSes...

I'm currently looking for a replacement for NAV10 Corporate for my company's network...is NOD32 as good as you all say it is?

I answered "Other" as we use Trend Micro in the office and I use AVG at home.

I used to use AVG and Avast @ home and Norton Corp @ work ... but now...

Kaspersky 5.0 @ home
Trend 7.0 @ work

How much better is NOD32 over Kaspersky 5.0 or now I think 6.0 ???

Any recent reviews on those two?

Where's the none option? I install Norton 2005 every 6 months or so to make sure I'm clean, but I'm always ok. No day to day Anti-virus software for me and I have never gotten a virus.

rtierney said:
I'm currently looking for a replacement for NAV10 Corporate for my company's network...is NOD32 as good as you all say it is?

Yup. I'd been installing/supporting Symantec CE since around version 5, on many MANY different networks. Also McAfee, AVG, and CAI as far as enterprise AVs go....back then..Symantec CE was my preference though, I only worked on the others through inheriting clients existing setups. Starting around 9 I started getting disappointed in Symantec CE and testing a few different products. Once that pig called version 10 came out..I was done...no more reselling or recommending it.

NOD has the RAC..Remote Administration Console. A bit more of a learning curve than Symantecs MMC, but once you get the hang of it..much more powerful, IMO. Current version. They just released a new version last week which has more integration with AD.

You'll find workstations run snappier, NOD32 is one of lightest AVs around.

Several updates per day

What I notice, is that when I'm replacing Symantec CE with NOD32..as I'm pushing out installs...the RAC starts lighting up clients reporting in of issues they found..that Symantec never even saw.

You'll see ad/malware issues with your clients drop significantly.

Cobalt2112 said:
I
How much better is NOD32 over Kaspersky 5.0 or now I think 6.0 ???

Any recent reviews on those two?]

I'd call them quite comparible. I'd actually call them the two best out there. KAV used to be a bit heavy, as far as impacting system performance. They lightened up significantly in version 6. Detection rates are tops, possibly a whisker stronger than NOD32 when it comes to ad/spyware detection...but I'd say NOD32 has the edge when it comes to virus outbreaks by having stronger heuristics. However...KAV is so fast with their def updates..I think it's rather even.

av-comparatives.org is a great neutral real world test/comparison site.

i've only recently started working in security, my background being datacomms.

i've inherited the management of our mcafee products. i hated them at first, but now that ive got the hang of epo i quite like it. it's quite nice being able to control av, anti-spyware and host intrusion prevention all from one management console. the reporting functionality looks quite good too.

went to a seminar a couple of weeks ago and their foundstone product looks quite good too. i dont really have any experience of any other products so i cant really compare.

AVG now, but was using both Avast and AVG in the past. Both seem to be good. AVG is a little eaiser on the resources.

It's quiete surprising you didn't mention NOD32 in your POLL, one of tha best AntiVirus packages out there :rolleyes:

Virus software ...... we don’t need no stinking virus software!

Seriously I was using Trend, but I got cheap and I now use AVG on almost everything. I do have a couple with no virus software, but I am ULTRA careful what I do with them. i.e. NO E-mail, Minimal surfing and only to known sites, and yes I know these are not the only way virus get populated, but I have run this way for many many years and haven’t had a problem yet. These machines also don’t have any important data on them. they can be wiped at any time

I used to use norton, but now I use BitDefender Pro Plus 9, I love it. I notice a big performance leap too. Norton used so much resources it was getting disgusting...

NOD32 - on all of my home systems.

Symantec at work until I can convince them otherwise...

Symantec Corporate at home and Trend Micro at work. I can't live without having my AV centrally managed from a server.

I was using Panda but it failed me :( so when I get my pc fix I will switch to AVG.

Back