What AMD does vs WHat nVidia does...

All I know is, when the land battle begins, AMD will reign supreme due to the heavy nature of their graphics cards, allowing for maximum blunt force. Perfect for smashing skulls.
We'll see how your puny GTX 970's fare in melee combat.

And I imagine AMD's latest market share which stands at 28% as opposed to nVidia's 72% will hopefully pick up.

AMD has been lost for a while with poor driver releases and even it's one touted feature such as Mantle broke in BF4. Heck i couldn't even get my 290 crossfire to work in Mantle. AMD's crap talk on Mantle came crashing down. They have an inherent inability to work with game developers or do it have the budget to do so. If one remains blind to these facts then what can I say.

And I imagine AMD's latest market share which stands at 28% as opposed to nVidia's 72% will hopefully pick up.

AMD has been lost for a while with poor driver releases and even it's one touted feature such as Mantle broke in BF4. Heck i couldn't even get my 290 crossfire to work in Mantle. AMD's crap talk on Mantle came crashing down. They have an inherent inability to work with game developers or do it have the budget to do so. If one remains blind to these facts then what can I say.

Actual market share is not dictated by 1 or 2 quarters. Those numbers are for recent quarters where they had no new GPUs. Things will be different during the fury launch

That is one game, and your experience. But it doesn't reflect all others experience. My experience with Mantle in CivBE is amazing and mind blowing. Therefore not fact but experience.

The most accurate part of the OP is the very end "I don't get it"

The MAJORITY of AMD's products are rebrands this generation AND last generation. In addition to that, some of what AMD is rebranding this gen were also rebrands last gen, meaning they are already 3 generations old.

Then we get to driver support, which is by far and away the most concerning. Their developer relations is pure shit compared to NVidia. You have to wait months for a proper driver for some games, and even then performance may or may not be up to par. Just look at TW3 and Project Cars to name just two examples.

Really? Do you actually know anything about AMD drivers or just winging it? CF profiles are just a piece of drivers and not the whole of the drivers as too many naysayers like to spout. On single GPUs AMD is ahead of the curve, only CF is slow to get optimized. And TW3 drivers were 2weeks with CF profiles not a month or 3 as too many again would like others to believe.

Really? Do you actually know anything about AMD drivers or just winging it? CF profiles are just a piece of drivers and not the whole of the drivers as too many naysayers like to spout. On single GPUs AMD is ahead of the curve, only CF is slow to get optimized. And TW3 drivers were 2weeks with CF profiles not a month or 3 as too many again would like others to believe.

Really.
Project Cars?

And they are late to the game optimising.
Behind the curve by their own examples.

Actual market share is not dictated by 1 or 2 quarters. Those numbers are for recent quarters where they had no new GPUs. Things will be different during the fury launch

Just look it up dude. It's a permanent market division now. AMD has to reverse this trend soon or nVidia will soon become a monopoly.

That is one game, and your experience. But it doesn't reflect all others experience. My experience with Mantle in CivBE is amazing and mind blowing. Therefore not fact but experience.

That's what I hear from most of the AMD fans but I got the 290s in crossfire to play BF4 and it didn't work with Mantle so shouldn't AMD be clearing or trying its best to fix the scenario.

But they didn't do much throughout last year.

Really.
Project Cars?

So you say one game and that is proof industry wide. Sorry but there is plenty of proof industry wide that generally on any given day neither camp is grossly superior. Though at times one may have some issues. Right now NVIDIA is with Last 3 drivers (haven't check in last week or two if they have released another).

So you say one game and that is proof industry wide. Sorry but there is plenty of proof industry wide that generally on any given day neither camp is grossly superior. Though at times one may have some issues. Right now NVIDIA is with Last 3 drivers (haven't check in last week or two if they have released another).

No.
You quoted what I wrote, they are late for most games.
Project Cars was also a PR disaster, they couldnt even get their story straight about why they pulled support before release.

Their drivers gave me too many problems, they made me buy NVidia.
I was sworn off NVidia after the way they handled the 970 issue, but AMD left me no choice, I had enough.
I am on NVidias latest driver and have no problems, makes me very happy. fyi :)
Their last 3 drivers were fine too, thats my complete experience with my new card.
So thats 4 drivers (100%) that are fine for me

Really.
Project Cars?

They had a driver out for witcher 3 before nvidia fixed their kepler issues ( if they have). People bash AMD for releasing drivers after a game's release yet don't mind that nvidia has to optimize for their own hardware on a game they supposedly worked on and did that AFTER AMD released a driver. not to mention AMD GPUs were performing better than kepler at launch.

They had a driver out for witcher 3 before nvidia fixed their kepler issues ( if they have). People bash AMD for releasing drivers after a game's release yet don't mind that nvidia has to optimize for their own hardware on a game they supposedly worked on and did that AFTER AMD released a driver. not to mention AMD GPUs were performing better than kepler at launch.

AMD didnt have a driver out at launch and you are harping on still.
AMDs flagship cards at the launch of Witcher 3 were faster than NVidas previous gen. You should be proud.
Keep your fingers crossed for little mercies, that may change when Kepler is patched ;)

I own a 7970, I'm well aware of AMD drivers. Took them a month for Pcars and even still, it's just a beta driver. You're in denial.

AMD didnt have a driver out at launch and you are harping on still.
AMDs flagship cards at the launch of Witcher 3 were faster than NVidas previous gen. You should be proud.
Keep your fingers crossed for little mercies, that may change when Kepler is patched ;)

unlike some people I don't expect a driver out for every game at launch, nor do I think its a good thing if a company needs to put a driver out for every game at launch. What do you think will happen when you hardware becomes "outdated" like kepler apparently now is? Do you expect the company to keep putting out new drivers for every game for every generation of hardware? The fact that AMD gpus were playing the game well is good enough.

I own a 7970, I'm well aware of AMD drivers. Took them a month for Pcars and even still, it's just a beta driver. You're in denial.

Those drivers are always beta, and they will become less needed with dx12. Putting out drivers for every game is not the ideal situation and having to do it suggests the hardware might not be well made. What happened in witcher 3 was that a 285 was putting out the same performance as the high end kepler cards. Obviously something is wrong there. If nvidia hardware becomes that bad when it's not patched, its a risk to invest in.

unlike some people I don't expect a driver out for every game at launch, nor do I think its a good thing if a company needs to put a driver out for every game at launch. What do you think will happen when you hardware becomes "outdated" like kepler apparently now is? Do you expect the company to keep putting out new drivers for every game for every generation of hardware? The fact that AMD gpus were playing the game well is good enough.
I dont expect it at launch, performance is great and they run fine anyway.
But when I needed the performance and problems sorted, I had to wait a long time with AMD.

Its sad, if their drivers just worked ok I would have been looking forward to Fury.
But they blew it with that as well with only 4GB and no HDMI 2.0.
So even if the drivers had worked, they would have again made me choose NVidia.

nVidia innovates ?

Nvidia spends more of there time working on ways to keep AMD locked out of there Apple like software..

they still can't Sli across there product line and I guess one still needs a Sli bridge and finally someone said something Nvidia makes can run 3 LCD's from one card .. will my 770GTX do it?

Those drivers are always beta, and they will become less needed with dx12. Putting out drivers for every game is not the ideal situation and having to do it suggests the hardware might not be well made. What happened in witcher 3 was that a 285 was putting out the same performance as the high end kepler cards. Obviously something is wrong there. If nvidia hardware becomes that bad when it's not patched, its a risk to invest in.

With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about. The fact that Day 0 support for AMD is far worse than NVidia suggests drivers ARE needed for many new games. So no, your theory about sub par hardware is complete nonsense that you just made up. Both developers for TW3 and PCars commented on AMD"s complete lack of involvement during the development process. Then after all that bad press, AMD comes out with their own video response... What do they do there? They don't deny any of it, they just attempt to downplay the importance of being involved early on and shift the blame else where. And what do the fanboys like yourself do? Start telling stories as you just did, make believe drivers won't be important with DX12, and pretend it's a non issue because "eventually" the drivers will be there.

Furthermore, DX12 will put more onus on the developers themselves to code for hardware. This should scare you as an AMD fan, but I get how it is to be an AMD fan, you're always looking at something down the line to try to even the score. That's been the ongoing story AMD fans for over a decade.

Unfortunately since, as I said, the onus shifts more towards developers than with prior versions of DX, and since NVidia has far better developer support, expect things to get worse for AMD, not better, unless they change the way they handle their developer relations. Somehow you have this preconceived notion that DX12 will magically even the score on it's own. Not unlike your preconceived notion that driver updates are bad because it suggests the hardware is no good... Seriously, that was funny. One of the most ridiculous AMD defenses I've heard in recent memory. You should win a prize for it.

nVidia innovates ?

Nvidia spends more of there time working on ways to keep AMD locked out of there Apple like software..

they still can't Sli across there product line and I guess one still needs a Sli bridge and finally someone said something Nvidia makes can run 3 LCD's from one card .. will my 770GTX do it?

AMD doesn't need NVidia's help to get locked out. They are very good at doing that on their own with lack of developer involvement and late drivers.

Don't flame me, I just pointed out something AMD is good at.

Still notting I have a use for as the only game I play is world of tanks and they have there own replay system built in and I could care less about GameWorks as I it reminds me of console gaming.

Well at least two of those are wrong.
Triple monitor support is only for SLI on Tesla and Fermi. Kepler was the first that allowed for a single card triple monitor setup.
VSR is being added to the entire GCN family.

Hardware limitation, not shadiness. Pre-Kepler, they could only drive two heads from a single GPU at any given time.

I dont expect it at launch, performance is great and they run fine anyway.
But when I needed the performance and problems sorted, I had to wait a long time with AMD.

Its sad, if their drivers just worked ok I would have been looking forward to Fury.
But they blew it with that as well with only 4GB and no HDMI 2.0.
So even if the drivers had worked, they would have again made me choose NVidia.

was that need from project cars? %#$ happens.

Their drivers DO work ok. Do you not realize that the reason most of these games need drivers is because THE GAMES are broken? Nvidias case may be more hardware related as well, but the games themselves aren't exactly well done. For the vast majority of the people, the drivers do just work. For a limited number of people as well nvidia drivers don't work. So it's hardly a fact. In all my years using AMD never had a driver issue, none with nvidia either. Some users get into trouble of their own doing and jump to drivers. PC is not for noobs

Keep harping on about 4Gb and hdmi 2.0. If the card is faster you would simply be missing out on some crappy technicality.

AMD doesn't need NVidia's help to get locked out. They are very good at doing that on their own with lack of developer involvement and late drivers.

Don't flame me, I just pointed out something AMD is good at.

with every game that has been released, they worked with the devs. Words from the devs themselves. The only differentiating factor was whether the game had gameworks or not. in games that don't, everything is great. In games that do, even nvidia users suffer.

with every game that has been released, they worked with the devs. Words from the devs themselves. The only differentiating factor was whether the game had gameworks or not. in games that don't, everything is great. In games that do, even nvidia users suffer.

Working with developers a couple weeks before release isn't the same as working with them throughout the development process. Something that will be MORE important with DX12, not less.

And yet the games that Nvidia works so closely on with devs nearly always turn out to be buggy unoptimized shit. Every time I see "gameworks", I just cringe.

Last edited:
With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about. The fact that Day 0 support for AMD is far worse than NVidia suggests drivers ARE needed for many new games. So no, your theory about sub par hardware is complete nonsense that you just made up. Both developers for TW3 and PCars commented on AMD"s complete lack of involvement during the development process. Then after all that bad press, AMD comes out with their own video response... What do they do there? They don't deny any of it, they just attempt to downplay the importance of being involved early on and shift the blame else where. And what do the fanboys like yourself do? Start telling stories as you just did, make believe drivers won't be important with DX12, and pretend it's a non issue because "eventually" the drivers will be there.

Day 0 support is not far worse for AMD, you simply assume it is. At launch AMD cards were performing fine on witcher 3 and GTA 5. It only ever is bad in outliers like PCars.

THE PCars devs later pointed out they were in communication and receiving communication from AMD very close to release. The witcher 3 devs were sending code to AMD and receiving driver updates, so thats just plain stupid. What those devs clearly did state was they it was not possible to optimize for AMD (DUE TO NVIDIA).

The video response was good and if you ask the devs how gameworks interacts with AMDs hardware, they don't deny it either. Case in point witcher 3. AMD simply cannot do anything about closed code in games so how the fart are they supposed to take responsibility for what nvidia is doing?

DX12 fixes a lot of things that made it necessary for AMD and Nvidia to patch games through drivers. have a read:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/666419-what-are-your-opinions-on-dx12vulkanmantle/#entry5215019

I don't say the drivers will be there eventually. Most games work fine on AMD and do not need day one drivers. Nvidia puts those things out 1. to fool idiots, 2. because their hardware is a worse design and needs it. Enjoy your 970 being as fast as a 280x next year.

Furthermore, DX12 will put more onus on the developers themselves to code for hardware. This should scare you as an AMD fan, but I get how it is to be an AMD fan, you're always looking at something down the line to try to even the score. That's been the ongoing story AMD fans for over a decade.

why would that scare me? We have apis and standards for a reason. Only in graphics do we see hardware companies putting out drivers so often. That should change somewhat with dx12. No need to be hacking games with drivers to get them to run right.

Unfortunately since, as I said, the onus shifts more towards developers than with prior versions of DX, and since NVidia has far better developer support, expect things to get worse for AMD, not better, unless they change the way they handle their developer relations. Somehow you have this preconceived notion that DX12 will magically even the score on it's own. Not unlike your preconceived notion that driver updates are bad because it suggests the hardware is no good... Seriously, that was funny. One of the most ridiculous AMD defenses I've heard in recent memory. You should win a prize for it.

Myth after myth. AMD developers relations is fine and you have it mistaken. The API is not specific to AMD or Nvidia hardware, its down to the hardware to support the API. So what is nvidia going to do/change to make what the developers code using the API not work right on AMD hardware? Nvidia is the one who should be worried because their gameworks tactics will be less effective.

I dont expect you to comprehend the logic, since you think nvidia putting out so many drivers is somehow the way it should be. It's not. It means something is broken, either in the API, the game or the hardware. It would be like constantly having to update motherboard drivers to support this and that software. Only nvidia fanboys think such a situation is the ideal and harp on about driver releases, not realizing they look foolish for it.

Last edited:
was that need from project cars? %#$ happens.

Their drivers DO work ok. Do you not realize that the reason most of these games need drivers is because THE GAMES are broken? Nvidias case may be more hardware related as well, but the games themselves aren't exactly well done. For the vast majority of the people, the drivers do just work. For a limited number of people as well nvidia drivers don't work. So it's hardly a fact. In all my years using AMD never had a driver issue, none with nvidia either. Some users get into trouble of their own doing and jump to drivers. PC is not for noobs

Keep harping on about 4Gb and hdmi 2.0. If the card is faster you would simply be missing out on some crappy technicality.
Shit happens a lot ;) That was the problem.

Yes many games are broken at launch and need the drivers to sort many issues and performance problems.out.
This is why we are reliant upon how fast an optimised driver is released.

I'm glad you have never had a driver issue.
But when you have no experience of driver issues, you are hardly in a position to ball ache people over the problems they have.

Yep some people dont know what they are doing at first but they get those problems resolved.
Others have to use AMD drivers and never get a solution.

If the card is faster, it doesnt matter.
They have put themselves out of the market for a lot of people.

Day 0 support is not far worse for AMD, you simply assume it is. At launch AMD cards were performing fine on witcher 3 and GTA 5. It only ever is bad in outliers like PCars.

THE PCars devs later pointed out they were in communication and receiving communication from AMD very close to release. The witcher 3 devs were sending code to AMD and receiving driver updates, so thats just plain stupid. What those devs clearly did state was they it was not possible to optimize for AMD (DUE TO NVIDIA).

The video response was good and if you ask the devs how gameworks interacts with AMDs hardware, they don't deny it either. Case in point witcher 3. AMD simply cannot do anything about closed code in games so how the fart are they supposed to take responsibility for what nvidia is doing?

DX12 fixes a lot of things that made it necessary for AMD and Nvidia to patch games through drivers. have a read:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/666419-what-are-your-opinions-on-dx12vulkanmantle/#entry5215019

I don't say the drivers will be there eventually. Most games work fine on AMD and do not need day one drivers. Nvidia puts those things out 1. to fool idiots, 2. because their hardware is a worse design and needs it. Enjoy your 970 being as fast as a 280x next year.

why would that scare me? We have apis and standards for a reason. Only in graphics do we see hardware companies putting out drivers so often. That should change somewhat with dx12. No need to be hacking games with drivers to get them to run right.

Myth after myth. AMD developers relations is fine and you have it mistaken. The API is not specific to AMD or Nvidia hardware, its down to the hardware to support the API. So what is nvidia going to do/change to make what the developers code using the API not work right on AMD hardware? Nvidia is the one who should be worried because their gameworks tactics will be less effective.

I dont expect you to comprehend the logic, since you think nvidia putting out so many drivers is somehow the way it should be. It's not. It means something is broken, either in the API, the game or the hardware. It would be like constantly having to update motherboard drivers to support this and that software. Only nvidia fanboys think such a situation is the ideal and harp on about driver releases, not realizing they look foolish for it.

Did you read that entire post on Gamedev, to come up with your wrong statements lol?

I think you should read it again. Cause he is talking about Dx 9 up to Dx 11, as with OGL different versions. I think you are clumping everything together as one.

Myth is AMD has good dev rel, actually its piss poor, but they have something, a phone number where you can leave a message, or an email that is checked once every month or more.

Also I don't think you even understand some of the things he wrote.......

Good thing for AMD has been coaching Mantle->DX12->Vulkan to developers then ;)

Good thing for AMD has been coaching Mantle->DX12->Vulkan to developers then ;)
DX12 leans heavily in AMD's favor, but the developers (the people implementing DX12) lean heavily in Nvidia's favor. Seeing as how all Maxwell cards support 12_1 featureset, and all GCN cards are limited to 12_0/11_1, I can see Nvidia exploiting weaknesses in GCN just like they did with Tessellation during the DX11 game cycle.

At 20% marketshare and dropping (yay rebrands) eventually developers will stop caring about AMD entirely. Fury is not going to save AMD.
They won't have another chance until Arctic Islands, we're talking about 1+ YEAR from today. AMD will be ~15% marketshare this time in 2016.

Possibly, possibly not who knows.

But if it is the end for AMD, we'll have even more to spend on in a monopoly I guess.

Shit happens a lot ;) That was the problem.

Yes many games are broken at launch and need the drivers to sort many issues and performance problems.out.
This is why we are reliant upon how fast an optimised driver is released.

I'm glad you have never had a driver issue.
But when you have no experience of driver issues, you are hardly in a position to ball ache people over the problems they have.

Yep some people dont know what they are doing at first but they get those problems resolved.
Others have to use AMD drivers and never get a solution.

If the card is faster, it doesnt matter.
They have put themselves out of the market for a lot of people.

it happens for you maybe. Most other people are happy with the software side. I have seen more complaining about nvidia drivers, but there is this idea that nvidia can't do anything wrong on drivers so its ignored.

They really haven't. If you have one of those TVs then it cant be that hard to get an adapter. Display Port is the smart addition over the HDMI 2 and DVI because it's more flexible and was the only way to have adaptive sync on multiple monitors. Those who don't want that can go get adapters.

DX12 leans heavily in AMD's favor, but the developers (the people implementing DX12) lean heavily in Nvidia's favor. Seeing as how all Maxwell cards support 12_1 featureset, and all GCN cards are limited to 12_0/11_1, I can see Nvidia exploiting weaknesses in GCN just like they did with Tessellation during the DX11 game cycle.

At 20% marketshare and dropping (yay rebrands) eventually developers will stop caring about AMD entirely. Fury is not going to save AMD.
They won't have another chance until Arctic Islands, we're talking about 1+ YEAR from today. AMD will be ~15% marketshare this time in 2016.

Developers do not lean in nvidias favor. Do you really think they appreciate black boxes?

With AMDs massive gaming evolved program that nvidia has never matched, how on earth do people arrive at the conclusion that AMD developer relations is poor? The only evidence to support this claim is that we all know when nvidia supports a game, it usually is broken. So everybody sees that hey, nvidia is supporting some games, but ignoree the fact these games are broken. The plethora of games AMD is involved with just work and nobody takes note.

Your understanding of PC gaming seems like you think it console gaming. That we have nvidia GPUs and AMD GPUs as separate things to be coded for by developers. The new APIs will reduce that drastically. All a hardware maker needs to do is support the API properly and fully. The rest will come. Nvidia might have to beg them to add physx or add some other foolishness, but the game is still going to run well on the hardware made for it.

Developers do not lean in nvidias favor. Do you really think they appreciate black boxes?

With AMDs massive gaming evolved program that nvidia has never matched, how on earth do people arrive at the conclusion that AMD developer relations is poor? The only evidence to support this claim is that we all know when nvidia supports a game, it usually is broken. So everybody sees that hey, nvidia is supporting some games, but ignoree the fact these games are broken. The plethora of games AMD is involved with just work and nobody takes note.
I know they appreciate money and Nvidia has tons of that.
They also appreciate free hardware which apparently Nvidia is providing to them.

With AMDs massive gaming evolved program that nvidia has never matched
What? Is that a joke?

I know they appreciate money and Nvidia has tons of that.
They also appreciate free hardware which apparently Nvidia is providing to them.

What? Is that a joke?

And? I keep saying it, APIs and standards are there for a reason. That is why intel and amd processors work with windows, why all usb hardware works with usb slots etc. The only way it matters is if nvidia intentionally sabotages AMD with gameworks. otherwise if AMD simply adheres to the APIs and supports them fully, games will work well regardless.

if you are saying this because you are sure nvidia will sabotage AMD, well... there you have it.

those games didn't get offered for free with no support from AMD.

Both fan boys/girls are annoying but these days the Cult of Radeonism is in my opinion on another level of blindness.

Both fan boys/girls are annoying but these days the Cult of Radeonism is in my opinion on another level of blindness.
People that have a 4k TV cant even make a legitimate complaint about lack of HDMI 2.0 on Fury without having some of these nuts go off on you.

it happens for you maybe.
no shit sherlock.
Most other people are happy with the software side. I have seen more complaining about nvidia drivers, but there is this idea that nvidia can't do anything wrong on drivers so its ignored.
Think what you like lol, you dont have much of a clue.

They really haven't. If you have one of those TVs then it cant be that hard to get an adapter. Display Port is the smart addition over the HDMI 2 and DVI because it's more flexible and was the only way to have adaptive sync on multiple monitors. Those who don't want that can go get adapters.
How little you understand the topic, you dont have a basic grasp.
Find an adapter that will convert to HDMI 2.0.

Back