What AMD does vs WHat nVidia does...

jamesgalb

Gawd
I really don't get the anger over AMD rebranding their old tech and keeping it 'up to date'.

NVidia will develop something marginally better than their last tech, spend their time neutering it in multiple different ways for as many SKUs as possible while only making the very top SKUs better than last-techs performance, and then will go on to ignore their old tech and let it diminish in performance as new games are released....

-Develope meh technology improvements.
-Spend time making new technology worse than old-technology so as to sell more models.
-Ignore old-technology so consumers feel need to upgrade.

AMD on the other hand will develop something significantly more improved over their last tech, spend their time making a handful of SKUs that beat the old technology and offer real advancements, and then take their old technology and update it with new drivers and packaging so that both the new product and old product see gains...

-Develope real innovating technology (gddr5, Mantle, HBM, LVR, etc).
-Spend time improving old-technology.
-Refresh lineup with new and old technology at better price-per-performance than competition or prior releases.

Yet people get angry at AMD for 'rebranding'?

I don't get it...

Last edited:
What is LVR?

I can't be bothered to reply to the rest of the post except for, who's angry?

The only angry people are either trolling nvidia fans or those with displays that use hdmi 2.0 or dvi only

People get angry at both sides because they are fanboys. They think GPU manufactures are their friends for some reason.

They are companies. They exist to make the most amount of money possible from their customers. They do no care about innovation or you. They care about your money and they do whatever they can do to get your money. If they could find a way to do nothing and still make money or release worse cards and make more money they would.

they both rebrand and both offer good and bad "tech" updates. Nvidia is very inclusive with their IP vs AMD so prices for some things will be higher due to that. Plus they are viewed as a premium brand vs AMD so prices are higher, and in some cycles of updates they are faster/superior which definitely will cause higher pricing(justifiably).
But you are correct. Many will hate on AMD. Bad experiences in the past with AMD? Some yes. Moreso, it's that many buy a product and b/c THEY bought that product, it's the ONLY logical choice for ANYONE, in their mind anyway. You see it in anything in life. apple vs Samsung, Ford vs Chevy, etc.... People justify their purchases by bagging on the competition. So be it, some people are just too close minded to appreciate that other people don't think like they do. It's also quite nerd-chic to hate on AMD since they have screwed up so much in the past 3-5 years, they've created an environment of ridicule IMO. I'm saying this as a large AMD shareholder who's lost nearly 6 figures in stock value from AMD's poor management and execution; but still believes they can turn the corner(crossing fingers).

I REALLY, Really like AMD's strategy of reusing prior technology at lower tiers. It ENSURES continued active support for these products for years beyond what one would expect, AND continual optimizations for years past their "flagship" role.

It's a win all around as far as I'm concerned.

People need to settle down and wait for the Fury cards... I am just following since I imagine the new nodes will simply be shrunk down Maxwell/Fiji (for the most part).

nVidia innovates and so does AMD. Neither have "meh" technology since they are basically neck and neck. Or we can argue both have "meh" technology. :D

It was you that created that thread before the launch of the 390x trying to big it up and knock NVidia.
Here you are creating another thread before the launch of Fury trying to big AMD up and knock NVidia down.

Its you that needs to wait and especially settle down.
Its not your place to tell us what to do when you cause the problem.

What AMD does vs WHat nVidia does...

One makes money, the other does to an extent. Not that hard to figure out which is which.

I think he is annoyed by how this thread went.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1865379

He tried to claim I was angry when all I did was correct his rubbish.
He wasnt best pleased :)

Ah, it all makes more sense after reading that thread. To be honest I saw enough on the first page.

It was you that created that thread before the launch of the 390x trying to big it up and knock NVidia.
Here you are creating another thread before the launch of Fury trying to big AMD up and knock NVidia down.

Its you that needs to wait and especially settle down.
Its not your place to tell us what to do when you cause the problem.

You might of confused my post with OP. But I still agree with your post that OP needs to rein in the AMD nonsense a little. :D At least with the rebadges... get excited over the fiji cards.

Oh damn. Yeah he got schooled there.

Ah, it all makes more sense after reading that thread. To be honest I saw enough on the first page.
The guy has no shame. It was fun.

You might of confused my post with OP. But I still agree with your post that OP needs to rein in the AMD nonsense a little. :D At least with the rebadges... get excited over the fiji cards.
Oops you are right, sorry heh.

Nvidia: Retroactive support for DX12 on Fermi and newer (Cards dating back to 2010)
AMD: Retroactive support for DX12 on GCN 1.0 and newer (Cards dating back to 2012)

Nvidia Retroactive support for triple-monitor on Tesla and newer (Cards dating back to 2008)
AMD: Support for triple-monitor on HD 5000 series and newer (Cards dating back to 2009)

Nvidia: Retroactive support for G-Sync on Kepler and newer (Cards dating back to 2012)
AMD: Support for FreeSync on GCN 1.1 and newer (Cards dating back to 2013)

Nvidia: Retroactive support for DSR on Fermi and newer (Cards dating back to 2010)
AMD: Support for VSR on GCN 1.1 and newer (Cards dating back to 2013)

I dunno, looks like Nvidia supports their older products just-fine to me...

Nvidia: Retroactive support for DX12 on Fermi and newer (Cards dating back to 2010)
AMD: Retroactive support for DX12 on GCN 1.0 and newer (Cards dating back to 2012)

Nvidia Retroactive support for triple-monitor on Tesla and newer (Cards dating back to 2008)
AMD: Support for triple-monitor on HD 5000 series and newer (Cards dating back to 2009)

Nvidia: Retroactive support for G-Sync on Kepler and newer (Cards dating back to 2012)

Nvidia: Retroactive support for DSR on Fermi and newer (Cards dating back to 2010)

Ohh that explains why my 780ti is struggling now thanks!!!! ....

Well at least two of those are wrong.
Triple monitor support is only for SLI on Tesla and Fermi. Kepler was the first that allowed for a single card triple monitor setup.
VSR is being added to the entire GCN family.

I used to get my panties in a twist over brands back (early 2000's) in the day. Then I grew up, spent money more wisely and grew tired of the arguments.

One of the main reasons why I am getting a 980 ti this time around.

you realize your argument is very flawed right? I mean AMDs top line cards DO offer VSR, apparently the tiers of cards you are in the market for. If it is the fact that not all AMD GCN cards have it then how does that compare to Nvidia and the 4Gb/3.5Gb lie? Seems a bit out of context.

I game on on both Benq 3201's for one rig , and other is Samsung 7500 48".

Using Titan X sli for them.

Curious what ATI has that I could replace them for ?

I don't get it...
Of course you get it. It's been the lazy go-to line for AMD zealots for years, brought up every time it does or doesn't happen. Remember? It's a shady thing to do and of course that only applies when Nvidia does it.

Really it doesn't matter and most people do not bring it up as an issue, regardless of side. There are just some problematic zealots (example: OP) who for whatever strange reasons are so emotionally invested in stupid things like video cards that it becomes "a thing" worth arguing over.

:rolleyes: @ disingenuous lists, or if serious, :rolleyes: @ delusional beliefs.

Of course you get it. It's been the lazy go-to line for AMD zealots for years, brought up every time it does or doesn't happen. Remember? It's a shady thing to do and of course that only applies when Nvidia does it.

Really it doesn't matter and most people do not bring it up as an issue, regardless of side. There are just some problematic zealots (example: OP) who for whatever strange reasons are so emotionally invested in stupid things like video cards that it becomes "a thing" worth arguing over.

:rolleyes: @ disingenuous lists, or if serious, :rolleyes: @ delusional beliefs.

Ok your point is some what good but you need to be more neutral. I think most users aren't real happy about it from either camp, but understand 4-6 new cards at current intervals would be incredibly costly or extending the rate at which we get new cards would need to be further between. Not so bad, save money from upgrading ever 6 months.

We are lucky to have AMD. They put out tech that matters. Nvidia puts out proprietary tech and other less impactful things.

Some of you are just pathologically delusional. Its like listening to a fanatical religious person tell you why they are right and you are wrong.

I really don't get the anger over AMD rebranding their old tech and keeping it 'up to date'.

NVidia will develop something marginally better than their last tech, spend their time neutering it in multiple different ways for as many SKUs as possible while only making the very top SKUs better than last-techs performance, and then will go on to ignore their old tech and let it diminish in performance as new games are released....

-Spend time making new technology worse than old-technology so as to sell more models.

AMD on the other hand will develop something significantly more improved over their last tech, spend their time making a handful of SKUs that beat the old technology and offer real advancements, and then take their old technology and update it with new drivers and packaging so that both the new product and old product see gains...

-Refresh lineup with new and old technology at better price-per-performance than competition or prior releases.

I don't get it...

people will use any excuse they can to get mad at one company and justify why they use another companies product, doesn't matter if it's AMD, Nvidia, some cable company, some store they do or don't shop at, some forum they use.. just the way it is these days. it's a pain in the ass sifting through the garbage to find useful information but what ever.

Rebrands are terrible and should not be allowed, they create added confusion and mislead the consumer IMO. I still have absolutely no idea how AMD or Nvidia GPUs stack up for mobile (which is where most rebrands happen) as there is just a shitload of different models, some new and most just rebrands.

I don't get it...

Wow, your biases are already showing. No need to create a thread if you can't keep your brand preference aside.

We are lucky to have AMD. They put out tech that matters. Nvidia puts out proprietary tech and other less impactful things.

It appears to me that AMD fan boys form a cult that praise AMD for whatever it does.

I haven't seen NV fan boys do something really similar. They usually go about their business as usual in the NV forums.

Now I see a reason why AMD threads have so much resistance from neutral or NV fans. This mindset must be marginalized.

It appears to me that AMD fan boys form a cult that praise AMD for whatever it does.

I haven't seen NV fan boys do something really similar. They usually go about their business as usual in the NV forums.

Now I see a reason why AMD threads have so much resistance from neutral or NV fans. This mindset must be marginalized.

Well, to be fair... both camps have mindless fanboys... but it can be Hard to see with a narrow perspective... look at the qoute, we are fine... its the other guys who are crazy.. 😊

Well at least two of those are wrong.
Triple monitor support is only for SLI on Tesla and Fermi. Kepler was the first that allowed for a single card triple monitor setup.
So... what I said isn't incorrect.

I said Nvidia retroactively offered support for Nvidia Surround all the way back to Tesla-based parts. The lowest-end configuration supported by Nvidia Surround is GTX 260's in SLI. A GTX 260 is a Tesla-based card.

Also worth mentioning: AMD released Eyefinity on the HD 5000 series, and didn't back-port it to previous-gen in any way (AMD customers HAD to buy a new card to get this feature). Nvidia released Surround for the GeForce 400 series, but did offer it to previous-gen as well.

VSR is being added to the entire GCN family.
So... what I said there ALSO isn't incorrect, at-present... and even when AMD adds VSR support to the entire GCN family, it STILL wont support cards as old as the ones that got DSR support. My point stands.

Last edited:
The most accurate part of the OP is the very end "I don't get it"

The MAJORITY of AMD's products are rebrands this generation AND last generation. In addition to that, some of what AMD is rebranding this gen were also rebrands last gen, meaning they are already 3 generations old.

Then we get to driver support, which is by far and away the most concerning. Their developer relations is pure shit compared to NVidia. You have to wait months for a proper driver for some games, and even then performance may or may not be up to par. Just look at TW3 and Project Cars to name just two examples.

lol...

Nvidia fanboys are the worst simply because they have to justify every single piece of rubbish nvidia does. Justify the lies about 970, justify the huge premiums on hardware, justify the crippling of kepler etc etc. All AMD "fanboys" have to justify is higher power consumption and maybe a lack of support for old cards. I had a 5770 till last year though, lasted me a good 5 years. I had nothing to complain about.

Then I got a 970 and immediately nvidia was already lying to me.

Back