What Am I Looking For?

AshTrai

n00b
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
55
Hey Guys. I am in a bit of a bother, ive opened my case and im looking at it, and im not sure what im looking for.

I am quite computer knowledgable i.e software, etc etc i know whats good whats bad and i know my 8600 GS is pretty bad know, im interested in a 4850 Or a top graphics card, my budget is actually: $228.69:)

im interested in the top graphics cards but i know factors such as PSU, Space etc so here are some pictures, what am i looking for, is there enough space for the 4850 or any alternative top card? is my psu ok?


2009061549943.jpg


2009061549951.jpg


[IMGhttp://img269.imageshack.us/img269/507/2009061549951o.jpg[/IMG]

2009061549963.jpg


The restof my spec is

Quad Core Q666
3GB
Two 320GB Hard Drive;s
RealTek standard sound card

my case is remaining open, u need any other information just ask, thanks guys all info is great :)
 
I'll have a go... I'm sure someone will correct me if I get anything wrong.

In your 2nd image (2009061549951.jpg), the PSU is in the top-left corner. That white label will tell you its name and technical specs. Write down what it says on there and post it here for us to take a look at it.

As for space, well, the 8600 is the top card, just underneath your CPU cooler. The second picture appears to show that there is at least two inches or three to spare, lengthwise, so at a guess the 4850 wouldn't be too long (it would help if you could measure the length of the 8600 as a basis for comparison).

There's another card of some variety underneath your 8600. I think it's two slots below, so the 4850 will definitely fit. However if you get a model with a two-slot cooler (I think the 4850s tend to have 2-slot coolers but I might be wrong there) the fan might not have much breathing room unless you move that other card down one slot further. Then again, since the intake fan on most video cards nowadays is right at the end of the card (and the 4850 would be longer than whatever that other card underneath is) it might not matter at all.
 
Last edited:
ok the PSU says:

AC Imput 220-230V -2A 50hz
DC Output +3.3V ---- 17.0A{ORG} + 5V 19.0A(RED) +12V1 ------ 8.0A
+5Vsb -----2.0A(PURP) -12V 0.3a {blue} +12v2 ----- 140a
P.G Signal {GRAY} Ground {BLACK}

(+3.3V & + 5V = 115W Max TOTAL OUTPUT CONTINUOUS SHALL NOT EXCEED 250watts

well thats everything that is writen on it. i dont know much but do u think i should get a new psu? or should the 4850 run perfect on it.

thanks mate, any1 else gonna any imput. im looking to buy the gfx card 2morra so gonna get all the answers today hopefully
 
22A total available on the 12V rails is a little too low. You could buy a 4850 and a good 450-500 power supply for less than your total budget though.

XFX 4850 1GB

Corsair 450W psu

Total = $194.98 shipped
Total = $174.98 shipped after mail in rebate
 
22A total available on the 12V rails is a little too low. You could buy a 4850 and a good 450-500 power supply for less than your total budget though.

XFX 4850 1GB

Corsair 450W psu

Total = $194.98 shipped
Total = $174.98 shipped after mail in rebate

And if i buy the corsair PSU do i have to fiddle with loads of wires? or is it straight slot in, screw shove in the power lead and go........
 
Power supplies are pretty straight forward. Four screws to mount to the case and then just plug the appropriate connectors to the motherboard, hard drives, and video card. Other than keeping the wires as tidy and neat as possible to keep from disrupting airflow and making sure they wires wont get caught on any fans, it's fairly simple.
 
Power supplies are pretty straight forward. Four screws to mount to the case and then just plug the appropriate connectors to the motherboard, hard drives, and video card. Other than keeping the wires as tidy and neat as possible to keep from disrupting airflow and making sure they wires wont get caught on any fans, it's fairly simple.

simple enough for a noob with this stuff? as i said i know alot but i havent really messed inside

im looking at it now, all the grey wires going into the yellow slots on the motherboard look to be coming from the PSU so it looks simple, am i looking at the right stuff, just a bunch of grey wires going in continuous order fitting into yellow slots on the motherboard, two in the hard drive also. am i looking at the right stuff? and another thing with the HD4770 or HD4850 both play crysis maxed out @ 1440 by 900 with a good fps????
 
Last edited:
No an HD monitor isn't necessary. The video card will work with everything from a crt to an HD LCD monitor. The only thing you have watch out for is HDCP capable monitor if you plan on watching HD content on your computer like blue-ray movies and such.

I don't own crysis, but at that resolution I shouldn't see a problem.

edit:

Just unplug each connector one at a time and make sure you catalog what type of connector goes where so you don't get confused. After you've done it once you'll get the hang of it.
 
No an HD monitor isn't necessary. The video card will work with everything from a crt to an HD LCD monitor. The only thing you have watch out for is HDCP capable monitor if you plan on watching HD content on your computer like blue-ray movies and such.

I don't own crysis, but at that resolution I shouldn't see a problem.

edit:

Just unplug each connector one at a time and make sure you catalog what type of connector goes where so you don't get confused. After you've done it once you'll get the hang of it.

thanks mate, i was looking at a little cheaper for a psu and saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Konig-Profess...66:2|39:1|72:1691|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Octigen-450-W...66:2|39:1|72:1691|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/450W-450-WATT...66:2|39:1|72:1691|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

they are a little cheaper and look to do the same job, what do u think mate
 
simple enough for a noob with this stuff? as i said i know alot but i havent really messed inside

im looking at it now, all the grey wires going into the yellow slots on the motherboard look to be coming from the PSU so it looks simple, am i looking at the right stuff, just a bunch of grey wires going in continuous order fitting into yellow slots on the motherboard, two in the hard drive also. am i looking at the right stuff? and another thing with the HD4770 or HD4850 both play crysis maxed out @ 1440 by 900 with a good fps????

Just take a careful look at where your old power supply's cables currently plug into, take a lot of photos to help remind yourself if necessary, and then when you install the new PSU you can plug the right cables into the same sockets.

As for performance, 1440x900 is a pretty un-demanding resolution (technically a "lower" resolution than 1280x1024 - fewer pixels) so I reckon a 4770 or 4850 should be enough for your needs. However I can't say whether it'll be enough to "max out" Crysis, that is one beast of a game after all. A 4870 1GB would fare better but I don't know whether that would be within your budget. I hear that 4870 and 4850 prices have been slashed recently but I live in the UK so I can't say what prices are like for you in the US.

EDIT: Regarding those alternative PSUs you are looking at, tread carefully. Not all PSUs of a certain quoted wattage are equal. I can vouch for the quality of the Corsair that was recommended but I'm sure someone else could tell you more about the other models you are looking at. You might want to ask in the Power Supplies section of the forum as the local PSU experts might not notice this thread in the Video Cards section.
 
Just take a careful look at where your old power supply's cables currently plug into, take a lot of photos to help remind yourself if necessary, and then when you install the new PSU you can plug the right cables into the same sockets.

As for performance, 1440x900 is a pretty un-demanding resolution (technically a "lower" resolution than 1280x1024 - fewer pixels) so I reckon a 4770 or 4850 should be enough for your needs. However I can't say whether it'll be enough to "max out" Crysis, that is one beast of a game after all. A 4870 1GB would fare better but I don't know whether that would be within your budget. I hear that 4870 and 4850 prices have been slashed recently but I live in the UK so I can't say what prices are like for you in the US.

im in the uk also mate:) thanks. now i just need to know what u think of the links above.

 
Skip the 4850 and get a 4870 or a gtx260( preferred). You will really appreciate the extra horsepower in the coming years.
 

A big no to all three of those. The second two don't even have a pci-e connector for the video card and the first is rated to have less amps at 12V 19A vs 22A than the oe you have now. Are you in the UK?
 
4850 is just fine never scimp on a power supply always think upgradibilty when buying a power supply so it will be one less thing to buy in the future.
 
Yeah that one is fine as well. Although I'd stick with an authorized reseller just for warranty concerns. Any uk e-tailers that use paypal?

edit: oops didn't notice that was looking too fast good catch
 
Yeah that one is fine as well. Although I'd stick with an authorized reseller just for warranty concerns. Any uk e-tailers that use paypal?

edit: oops didn't notice that was looking too fast good catch

thanks:) gonna buy the 400w in a bit. u been a massive help
 
You're welcome. Everyone needs a bit of a hand the first time they crack open a computer case. :)
 
You're welcome. Everyone needs a bit of a hand the first time they crack open a computer case. :)

ye cant wait until everything comes, the computer is heavy already:

Q660
3GB ram
720 HDD
Vista
etc etc
etc but where the 4850 in, new PSU, fresh install, everythingh booted and that its gonna be awesome, wont have to upgrade for a long time also.
 
Just remember to uninstall the nvidia video card drivers before you power down. Driver conflicts can make for a headache.
 
Just remember to uninstall the nvidia video card drivers before you power down. Driver conflicts can make for a headache.

i will :) ive eben looking around and some say the 400w isnt enough for the 4850 but people are running it fine with it, :S i really want the 400w, it should work with the 4850 right..
 
Back
Top