• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What am I doing wrong?

MattQC

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 18, 2008
Messages
141
e6850 @ 3.5ghz
evga 680i
ocz reaper pc9200 1150mhz

I am really new at this, I oced my proc using the sticky here and nvidia 680i oc guide.

I unlinked the ram and when I try to put it at 1150mhz I cant boot, in fact i cant boot anything over 1000. The timing are set to auto. When i set the ram at 1000mhz the timing change to 5 5 7 23 and it says 5 5 5 18 on the box http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_9200_reaper_hpc_edition .

Is the ram bad? It says pc6400 at max bandwidth? http://img504.imageshack.us/my.php?image=66354071xw3.jpg

Thanks for your help!
 
t says pc6400 at max bandwidth?

Ignore that. Its meaningless. Really- forget about it.

There should be a setting somewhere in you bios to enable EPP which should then (with the standard settings on auto) read the Enhanced Performance Profile contained on the memory sticks and set the timings to what you see under the EPP#1 column in cpu-id.

The reason I think you need to do that is the odd timings you show in cpu-id of 5 5 7 23. Those timings do not correspond to any of the stored timings settings on the SPD chip on the memory sticks (the 3 columns in cpu-id). This indicates to me the motherboard is during bootup figuring out ram timings from tables in the bios based on the FSB/memory speed and some preprogramed settings put in by the bios/board manufacturer.

Make sure your memory voltage is set to at least 2.1V . You may need to go higher if your memory does not have the 2.1V on the label (see the web site you linked) . Be aware these boards have a history of burning up ram sticks due to the motherboard not setting voltages properly when high memory voltages are selected in the bios.

As far as it not bring able to run at the rated speed I would want to know if this memory has been tested on the 680i boards. I did not see anything on the link you provided but that info may be somewhere else on the site. It may be that the motherboard has difficulity with such a high memory speeed but I would think you should be able to get the rated timings at the lower 1000MHz speed. Most likely you have had to "unlink" the FSB speed for the memory from the FSB speed for the CPU and when this is done, the memory runs "out of synch" with the cpu. Special buffers and other devices are required to then keep the communications between the cpu - through the Northbridge - and out to the memory sticks sane because the cpu is running one FSB speed and the memory is running a different FSB speed. This can be problematic as it is not a trivial thing to keep that data flowing properly with the mismatch in speed. So not being able to run your memory as such a very high speed "out of sync" does not susprise me too awful much and it is a motherboard limitation more than the memory.

That said I am not an Nvidia chipset expert nor have I owned one since the old NF2 so a 680i owner is more than welcome to chime in with something I am not aware of.
 
As a previous 680i owner I'd suggest dumping that board, unless you're heart is set on running SLI. I went through 3 EVGA NF63-AR's, multiple stick of memory and countless hours beating my head against a wall trying to get things stable. Not one of those boards liked any memory running faster than 1000 at any timings.

If you want some stability with 1000+ rated memory try a P45 based board. You'll be glad you did.
 
Back
Top