Western Digital Raptor X 150 for $160 at Microcenter

Seated

Weaksauce
This is by far the best price I've seen for any 150 gig Raptor drive, let alone the X version. It's on their website as well as in the store (which is where I picked it up tonight).

You see the raptor x come around 160-165 online a few times a year. Amazon, newegg, best buy all do promotions sometimes. This is the first I've seen in a few weeks, though.

I picked mine up from BB last year this time for the same price.

BB had it at this price in my area about 3-4 weeks ago, i grabbed one and weasled my way into getting the coupon off of it.

If i can get one of my out of state friends to hit a microcenter i might grab one of these for some raid 0 action

Are these drives unbearably loud? I'm trying to decide if I want one but I've just built my new computer and I finally have a close to silent one and I'm really liking it.

i can't hear it over my fans so i'm not the person to answer this, my system sounds like a shop vac

They are louder than a typical drive, especially during heavy seek action, but not unbearably loud.

I also am interested in the noise factor. My wife made me turn off my 3 15k sas drives... :(

I've got a 74gb Raptor Storage drive in my work computer, which is a Dell Inspiron 530 quad 6600 that is whisper quiet. I can hear the drive over the system fans when initially loading a program, but on incremental seeks and writes, it isn't apparent. It is not loud per se, but it is louder than the normal drive my OS is loaded on in the same machine.

At home, I have 2 Raptor 150gb drives in Raid 0 in the rig in my sig. It also sits on my desktop, and I can hear the drives, but they are not annoying. I know noise is subjective and different people have different threshholds of tolerance, but they are not as loud as 15K drives, but not as quiet as a 5400 or 7200 drive.

My Raptor 150 is incredibly loud compared to my other drives, when it's seeking you know it. I think I am done with raptors, the price to performance just can't be justified anymore. I mean I can go pick up a 750 Samsung F1 that gets almost the same performance, sometimes better, except a 1s load difference in games... oooh, for $120, and these things are still $160. Blah

My Raptor 150 is incredibly loud compared to my other drives, when it's seeking you know it. I think I am done with raptors, the price to performance just can't be justified anymore. I mean I can go pick up a 750 Samsung F1 that gets almost the same performance, sometimes better, except a 1s load difference in games... oooh, for $120, and these things are still $160. Blah

What till you try random I/O :) The raptor should kill it.

This is a great deal. Yes they are louder than 5400 and 7200 drives, but not as loud as 15k's as stated above. Anyone who says the 7200's are almost as fast as a raptor is an F'n Idiot, period. I have just about every drive available here to me in my shop, and I've used them all and ran several real-life tests over the years.

This drive is noticeably faster then any drive I've ever installed, minus the 15K's of course. Most people can't justify the cost/storage ratio which is understandable. This is a pure luxury drive for those that just have to have the best (within reason).

I don;t see any reason to buy these drives any more since there are better and cheaper drives out there e.g 750 F1 for $100 or so.

No doubt the Raptor's are louder than your typical 7200rpm drive, but they're not too bad. Their perforamnce is exceptional. I've used just about every drink out there even ones that claim to be as fast or faster than raptors... They're not. I think the price premium is well worth it, the only downside is the relatively small capacity.

Back